Search results

1. 8mmag

Restoring a Pioneer RT-909 Reel-to-Reel

Take a look in the yellow pages for electric motor repair places, maybe you can get yours rewound pretty cheap...i.e. less than half a new motor.
  2. 8mmag

Magnepan MGII's = WAF

I've heard the same thing, although I never used a low powered amp to find out. I'm running 160WPC @8 and mostly use less than 2 ...peak (at least when my wife is home). Even cranking it up I'm much more cautious than when I started with Maggies in 1981. More is better only until you start...
  3. 8mmag

RT-909 Problem, PLEASE Help Me

X2. Highly recommended. Just remember you may need to adjust the pinch roller tension when you get them back. :thmbsp:
  4. 8mmag

My guess would be the microswitches controlled by those arm positions then, but again, I'd wait for the experts to chime in. I'm certainly not one.
  5. 8mmag

I have seen the experts stating that is a common failure mode. You are sure they are up against the tape and not latched in the full down 'tape load' position, right?
  6. 8mmag

Do you have a tape loaded? If not you will need to hold up both L & R tension arms to get FF & REW to work. It sounds like the capstan motor belt might be FUBAR'd too by the description of the rollers dropping out of engagement after a few seconds. With said tension arms up & power on, the...
  7. 8mmag

Pioneer RT-701 Speed Control Issue

Way to go Jones! I do like my 909, and I'm trying to get an X1000R going here now too, so then I'll have the Pioneer/TEAC comparison here too. What is it you like about the Pioneer sound over your TEAC, or is it just different in some way?
  8. 8mmag

TEAC X-1000R tape loop problems

Vintage, you seem to be the resident X1000R expert, is there a way to perhaps "rebuild" the plastic part that goes bad? I envision this plastic part having a 'catch' of sorts, like the sear of a trigger that engages a part inside the switch that eventually rounds off and won't stay in any...
  9. 8mmag

CRAP! I thought life was too good to be true. So is there no part number for the white plastic piece that goes bad? All I see is the complete board assy w/ 2 switches mounted, as in the pic posted earlier in the thread. :tears:
  10. 8mmag

I just got off the phone with TEAC Parts. Rod C, P/N 55347 13000 is still available, in stock, and $0.95. When I told the gentleman that was all I needed, he told me he was sending it for free! Wow, that's customer service you don't see very often anymore. :banana: Props to TEAC!
  11. 8mmag

So I guess I'll be on the phone again to TEAC Parts tomorrow to see if that rod is available still. Thanks Vintage.
  12. 8mmag

So it is the plastic 'Rod C' as they call it, shown as item '49' on P.28 in the SM (P/N 55347 13000) that goes bad? If that is replaced, that will solve the speed switch not staying 'in' to produce the low 3.75 speed? :scratch2:
  13. 8mmag

10-4. I know how easy it is to omit details from these kind of 'help me' posts. Keep us posted!
  14. 8mmag

I'm certainly no expert, but you might check to see that the pinch roller isn't headed or already gone *south*...gummed up. I just had to get mine rebuilt for my 909. It's the capstan-pinch roller-tape relationship that controls the speed, check the easy stuff out first before tearing into the...
  15. 8mmag

The hardest thing about replacing the belt is getting the right screwdriver that fits PERFECTLY into the #2 phillips screws holding the motor plate in place. They are TIGHT and is you're not careful, its easy to strip out the head. I used a hand impact...carefully.
  16. 8mmag

That WAS the right first thought since I neglected to mention I had just performed that maintenance in my hasty plea for help. I hate getting old, you forget to include all the pertinent facts.
  17. 8mmag

Pinch Roller Adjustment Update for anyone interested... Adjusting the pinch rollers resolved the slow play & wow issues. Life is good again. :music:
  18. 8mmag

Rich, That did it! I set the solenoid gap dead nuts in the center of the range and its working perfectly again. Thanks man! :music::thmbsp::music::thmbsp:
  19. 8mmag

EXCELLENT !! :thmbsp: Thanks for the layman's explanation Rich, sounds like I should be able to try that tonite. It really is probably not a belt, motor or shaft issue because before I developed the gooey rollers I had replaced the belt (6 weeks old) and the deck was running fine. My only...
  20. 8mmag

Pinch Roller Tension Adjustment Rich, I just replaced my gummy old rollers with rebuilt rollers from Terry. Now I apparently need to adjust pinch roller tension (Speed is slow, lots of wow). I didn't see this process described here, and when I RTFM, it isn't clear to me what is getting...
  21. 8mmag

Yes, the belt is only about 6 weeks old. I sure hope that's not it.
  22. 8mmag

Hi all, here's my situation... My rollers got gummy so I sent them in to be rebuilt. I got them back today and reinstalled them, Now the tape is running slower than it should and has a lot of wow. I'm assuming I now need to adjust the pinch roller tension, but I'm not sure if that's it...
  23. 8mmag

Cleaning the Capstan Rubber Rollers

Now THAT should be a sticky. :thmbsp: :thmbsp:
  24. 8mmag

Help me pick a 'New' CD Player

How is a Denon DCM-460 ???
  25. 8mmag

Help me pick a 'New' CD Player

OK, here;s the deal, I need to replace my Nakamichi CD Player2. It bit the dust today. I had no idea how good it sounded until I brought up a Technics from the basement and put it in the system. YUCCH !!! The NAK CDP2 was pretty old...18 years old and I got it for a song a year ago. The...
Back
Top Bottom