Search results

1. motorstereo

PIONEER SX-980 worth?

I know I wouldn't pay that for an old motl receiver that needs a complete rebuild. Take that $1,200 add in another $1,000 for the rebuild........ that would be a great start on the purchase of some fairly decent modern gear with a warranty and without the headaches.
  2. motorstereo

Are you traveling to see a total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024?

If someone is on the fence about making reservations I suggest not waiting much longer. The vultures are circling and prices are on the rise as I found out while making mine this morning.
  3. motorstereo

Happy St. Patrick’s Day

^^^^So far I've hit the weight room, gone to church and presently getting ready to head out and celebrate our 40th anniversary today with a nice meal somewhere.
  4. motorstereo

Dilemma: stay vintage or go modern?

I'd be lying if I said that thought never crossed my mind. The guy has issues obviously and I went off on him really bad which I'm not proud of. I was reimbursed and it was a deal that no one came out on top off. One thing I know for sure is he'll never work on another piece I own. At the same...
  5. motorstereo

Dilemma: stay vintage or go modern?

Lack of local qualified techs has forced me leave vintage behind and it will be all new or very close to it from now on. The kick in teeth came last week when a bozo tech couldn't fix my Mcintosh c33 so he brought it to the recycling station rather than texting me to come pick it up. No one will...
  6. motorstereo

McIntosh C55 and C2800

Your C200 also has better phono stage specs.
  7. motorstereo

Power outlet

A cd player, a tuner, an eq, a dac are a few pieces that come to mind.
  8. motorstereo

How many amplifiers can you run or "watts RMS" on a single 15A circuit?

I'm a firm believer in overkill to as I have Pangea AC9's garden hose sized cables powering my 1201's. I just now checked what they're using and those big honkin amps are amazingly stingy with their current draw. 57 on the volume scale which is fairly loud and above long term listening loud...
  9. motorstereo

Caffeine.

In my case I haven't had a beer since before Christmas. Not that it was a problem just haven't had the urge. But I could not imagine quitting coffee. Going without it first thing in the morning for bloodwork is awful. I see a lot of exercisers here which is a great thing. I'm also active in...
  10. motorstereo

RIP Terry DeWick

What a terrible loss. I've been reading about him for many years and I've only read praise for his workmanship and for him being an exceptional gentleman. Sadly I never met him but I did have an mr78 that he'd worked on; it was an outstanding tuner. RIP to a fine man who knew his craft very well.
  11. motorstereo

^^^^^^My memory circuits are a bit corroded from 14 years ago......... was there a fire from the "shock and awe system"?
  12. motorstereo

McIntosh Techs - Boston

I'd like to revise my recommendation for the nearby "tech" that I mentioned previously in this thread. Without naming names or going into specifics I'd like to say just do not under any circumstance ever go there. The man in question lives in Foster RI on rte 6. I now have a clear conscience...
  13. motorstereo

Dual 1200 wpc monos plugged into a single 20 amp outlet as of yesterday. According to my killawatt they use surprisingly little electricity even at extreme volume. I was using a separate 20amp circuit for each monoblock which is overkill after watching the killawatt. If I don't hear any sound...
  14. motorstereo

The final curtain - Mama finally passed away

Condolences sent; I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news. May she RIP.
  15. motorstereo

Satellite radio home tuner in 2024. Anybody? Bueller?

I had one of those Polk units when they first came out some 10 or 15 years ago. Main reason being I had no wifi-internet access to my main rig. That got replaced with an outdoor omni and a decent fm tuner. Sound quality was better than the little sat rad unit xm had at the time but still the...
  16. motorstereo

Looking for Advice

Did you check the seller's profile to see when he was last active? If he's been on the forum recently that says to me that he knew there was an issue, wasn't honest with you and now doesn't want to own up to his own dishonesty. Since you have proof of trying to contact him without a response a...
  17. motorstereo

McIntosh Techs - Boston

9 hours behind the wheel is something I despise having done so much driving during my working life. I had considered shipping but with 2 100lb amps and a tuner needing the ride I decided I'd be better off delivering and picking them up. As I mentioned Ryan said they wouldn't even look at my cd...
  18. motorstereo

Funny, strange, bizarre AI generated images.

Interesting and looks like a fun way to kill some time. So how might a luddite such as myself go about getting these ai images? A google search or is ai needed on the computer or cellphone doing the search?
  19. motorstereo

McIntosh Techs - Boston

That's a 4.5 hr. drive from where I live in Ct. and even more from the Boston area. I've done that miserable trip twice and the last time a traffic jam cost me an extra hour. Thankfully I found a wonderful tech 15 minutes from home. He's already fixed my Mcintosh mvp831 and Proton d1200 both...
  20. motorstereo

Speaker hoarders are going to have the last laugh

I'm thankful that the only speakers I have now are the ones I'm using. Both speakers and vintage electronics aren't moving in our area either. The prices start out high they come down after a while and the gear still sits there. The covid lockdown was the peak time for selling home audio gear...
  21. motorstereo

Any thoughts on "eclipse glasses"? I'm having a hard time convincing myself that buying a $10 pair of glasses to look at the sun is a good idea.
  22. motorstereo

Why do stereo equipment reviewers never have the music I Play..?

True dat; and then they'll scour goodwill for gear to play those classics on
  23. motorstereo

Thanks to this thread we'll be going to northern NH to see this once in a lifetime event.
  24. motorstereo

I hadn't planned on it but now that I've seen this thread I'm thinking I should.
Back
Top Bottom