Search results

1. J

Nothing is working as it should...can't troubleshoot the problem...*facepalm*

It's largely a channel separation issue. This is the gear I'm alternating between trying to find the problem: McIntosh MC2205 amp McIntosh MC2255 amp McIntosh C32 pre Adcom GFP 710 pre Polk Audio SDA 1.2 speakers Sources are irrelevant for now. Between both amps and preamps, sound is coming...
  2. J

MC2255 or 2205 with Polk SRS SDA series speakers? Good, bad or ugly?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this set up. I'm considering a set of the 2.3's, but it's a rabbit hole of information on those speakers and none that I've read pertains to this era of Mc amps. Thanks!
  3. J

Quick speaker ID (should be easy for y'all).

Saw this on a friend's IG post and figured they were a pair of Klipsch, but I didn't know what model (or if another brand altogether). Thanks.
  4. J

JBL L19's....who refoams 'em?

Just picked up a pair for the wallet-straining price of $10.00, but the surrounds are kaput. I know, I know....many of you will recommend my refoaming them, but, honestly, I don't have the time or patience (plus, there are the Infinitis that need refoaming, too....). Reviews are pretty good on...
  5. J

Is there a need for a dedicated headphone amp with Mc amp and preamp?

Just scored a pair of AKG K280 Parabolic headphones and one user said they benefit from a dedicated headphone amp. Surely, my C32 and MC2505 would be sufficient without the need for additional gear, right? Note, I'm at work so I can't test them just yet; hence my question to help pass time...
  6. J

Symposium isolation shelves found at estate sale

Found these with no price tags in a closet. It was readily clear that they were anti-vibration platters, but there was no other information and no other stereo equipment (except for a pair of AKG K280 Parabolic headphones that I also purchased). But, man...what this man must have had? I guess...
  7. J

Weak right channel on MC2255....erghhhh

After no issues, the right channel on my MC2255 is acting up. A few days ago, I noticed that I had to crank the gain on it to be on the level as the left channel. Now, the Power Guard light on the right channel is lighting up and the right rear of the chassis (what is that back there...I'm...
  8. J

What to do with these RS-4B's?

Long story short, I picked these up for free from a lady who found them in a home she purchased. By all accounts, they appear to have been last used by a male teenager soooo.....the condition is rough. Surrounds are gone, wood is about a 7/10, grills are a 5/10, there's something oozing out of...
  9. J

ID these speakers - bonus F1 related content!

Saw that this home in Sweden was for sale complete with a 1995 Benetton F1 car (and other F1 items) inside. Saw these speakers on the last pic and was curious what they were. Pretty sure an astute AK'er can easily id them. (note: NOT in the market for an $8.2M home, btw)...
  10. J

Just bought a MC2255 to flip and now...

I want to flip my MC2205 instead.... At an estate sale a few weeks ago, they were selling some good gear, including the MC2255. The operator of the sale said she would sell it to me for 50% of the asking price (It was closing time). Knowing their values and as the sale price was about average...
  11. J

MC2205 goes into power guard mode briefly on start up...

WHY? When I turn on the amp, the red power limit lights turn on and then go off after a second. They then return the green normal light (except for the left green light; that bulb is burned out). This amp was serviced a few years ago by DeWick so it shouldn't need servicing (according to...
  12. J

C32 fails to turn on.....relay?

Hi, all. Recently, my C32 preamp just stopped working. It was fine and then a few days later, pushing the power button would cause nothing to happen (no lights, etc). I haven't had a chance to find a local shop in Houston to have a look see. My concern is that we've had bad lightning and...
  13. J

Pioneer PL 707 needs repair...where to send?

(X-posted in the Pioneer forums). I picked up a PioneerPL-707 turntable last week that was being thrown out at a thrift. Cosmetically, it should clean up well (very minor dings on one corner and a heavily scratched duct cover). Mechanically, however, there is no telling: both electrical and...
  14. J

Pioneer PL-707 repair shops

Howdy, I picked up a PL-707 turntable last week that was being thrown out at a thrift. Cosmetically, it should clean up well (very minor dings on one corner and a heavily scratched duct cover). Mechanically, however, there is no telling: both electrical and audio cords have been cut. Who do...
  15. J

Rocking the Nursery...any baby-approved systems?

Do any members have hifi or midfi setups in their baby nurseries? My TWO children are due to arrive at the start of 2015 and in anticipation of spending a bunch of time in their room, I want to see others' nursery systems. No reason not to start their music appreciation early! I have a...
  16. J

What to do in Durango, Colorado?

Howdy, AKers! My wife and I are heading to Durango next week for a wedding and I want to hit the highlights while there. We arrive mid Thursday and leave Sunday midday. I'll have some freedom on Thursday afternoon and night, all Friday and early Saturday to explore. Things I'm...
  17. J

I need a recommendation on a cheap 7:1 receiver.

Can I get a new receiver for a cheapish price ($150+/-)? I need to replace the old Yamaha 2 channel receiver in my den before a party next week (a nice party...therefore, things must work and look flawless). I have 5 speakers inside (polk HT setup-in-a-box) and 2 speakers outside. I...
  18. J

ABout to power up my first tube amp..any advice?

I just received a Norh integrated tube amp (http://www.norh.com/Norh_Loudspeaker/SE_9.html). It is of recent vintage (within the last 5 years or so) and is working according to the past two sellers. In a few hours when work settles down, I will be hooking it up for the first time. I've never...
  19. J

MC2205 - help needed...

PROBLEMS: 1. The left channel is barely making any sound in comparison to the right channel. And, the left VU meter is barely registering the same output as the right. 2. At normal volume, the right channel keeps clipping the power guard red light. If I turn it up a little louder...
  20. J

McIntosh MT3 new turntable?! Priced at $850!

Just announced today...
  21. J

Any idea if this is worth an effort?

Hi gang! Total novice here to tubes. Found this console/radio in a thrift and took some pics. These are the best I could get in the cramped space. Is it worth any effort to rehab this old tube unit? I would have someone else do it as I know NOTHING about this sort of thing. Thanks...
  22. J

Wrap yourself in McIntosh...

Ok, now this is pretty funny and cool. http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=Merchandise&ProductId=McIntoshTowel
  23. J

Please give me your suggestions for a quick and easy receiver/int. amp!

I moved into a home that is pre-wired with 5 Polk Audio RM101 speakers (inside) (http://www.polkaudio.com/products/rm101) and 2 Mirage speakers (outside) and now I need a receiver/integrated amp for my audio/video set up. I will be using it in my den for movies and some sports Note that...
  24. J

Can you ID this Polk Audio subwoofer?

I received this free from a friend and it has no identifying marks, tabs or stickers (tho, I haven't unscrewed any parts yet). Also, how do I hook this up? We just moved into a place that had a Polk Audio home theater in a box already set up (5 satellite speakers and a center: the RM102...
  25. J

Houston Record Stores

Maybe we should have a few threads that list the record stores in certain big cities. It always strikes me as amusing that I can think of at least NINE stores devoted to records in Houston....in 2012! Hopefully, this helps locals and out-of-towners support the stores we love. NOTE: I have...
Back
Top Bottom