Search results

1. jancumps

Hello From Kentucky

My GF just moved to Kentucky. Will visit your state for the first time next month.
  2. jancumps

What The Heck? NASCAR Racing on the streets of Chicago July 1 & 2nd?

I'm in Chicago this weekend and the next week - flew in from Brussels. The weather is crazy. I'd liked to have seen some of the action but it's really bad out there...
  3. jancumps

Anybody see Jupiter and Venus close together last night 3-1-23 ?

Brussels, with phone. Shakey hands.
  4. jancumps

What is the white coating on the transistor?

Correction: paste on the top transistor. Paint on the bottom one
  5. jancumps

What is the white coating on the transistor?

Heat paste. Should be applied very very thin to bridge any imperfections between transistor package and heatsink. When done correctly, it improves heat conductivity.
  6. jancumps

Thorens TD 124 Slow to Turn on Strobe Lamp

No, not in series. There is virtually no current running through a neon bulb, so the motor would not be able to run. From the drawing, looks like it's tapping off from the middle of the motor coil. So in parallel with half of the coil.
  7. jancumps

Indeed. I was lucky, it slipped without damaging the pins or holes. I stopped using it once it happened. I documented the fix.
  8. jancumps

It slipped on mine, after working good for many years. The cause was that the grease in the switch part was gunked up so bad that the band slipped and the switch didn't move when the lever was moved between speeds. But the symptoms were different than what's reported here.
  9. jancumps

There is no relay. My table's switch looks like @tnsilver 's one. I have a very early MK II. Yours seems to be from later production, or an aftermarket replacement? It almost has to be the that part between the speed rotator and the switch. Maybe that iron cable that connects both doesn't move...
  10. jancumps

This is The Sansui Sound - LP

It is. But it has a double meaning in Dutch, and they are alluding on that too. Toekomstmuziek is also "something that may happen in the future" (a bit like pipe dream, but more positive)
  11. jancumps

This is The Sansui Sound - LP

Philips / Polygram also made an unbranded version. It was a present in case you bought something else than a Sansui :). "Uw toekomstmuziek"
  12. jancumps

Your Last Concert (or two)

Front 242 at Cold Waves 2022 Chicago.
  13. jancumps

I cannot figure out this Dual 1009. Please help

long story short: - leave the arm cabling alone - cut the audio cable as close as possible near the mute switch, if both channel's grounds are twisted together. Else leave them in place. - cut any solder bridge that DUAL placed between grounds, at the mute switch if you cut the audio cable...
  14. jancumps

DUALs were factory made according to Europe DIN schema. When imported to the USA, the DIN cable was replaced by Phono cables. But the insides were not altered. For a DIN cable, both signal grounds and the table grounds are coupled together at the table. Usually, the shielding of left and...
  15. jancumps

Ping if you want to fix it.
  16. jancumps

Realistic NOVA 8 in Bad Shape

It may be the photo, but it looks like the foam surrounds of a few drivers are damaged?
  17. jancumps

60 Hz hum or a mechanical (motor or platter induced) one? There's a solution for DUALs that are imported in the US and that that have a 60 Hz hum.
  18. jancumps

Bose loudspeakers and double blind tests

Back to the first post. There is a reason why they do well: they sound well. I'm on audiokarma for 10 years now. Bose sounds good.
  19. jancumps

Subsequent copies of downloaded music?

What's more common is that your download contains a fingerprint, so its copies can be traced back to your purchase.
  20. jancumps

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

21. jancumps

found repair buttons of my Thorens td 124 back

While I was fiddling with my turntable a few days ago, I wondered where I had stored the photos I took in its early days. I had torn down and revised the motor and the arm, worked on the axle, replaced the capacitor, set the eddy current brake. I didn't find things back on my laptop or backups...
  22. jancumps

Your Lamps/Lights for the dark…

Or the outside light
  23. jancumps

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

NAM C 545BEE, about a year ago. 2nd hand. When I bought a new laptop, I had lost my last method to play CDs.
Back
Top Bottom