Search results

1. T

SX-1080 selector switch issue

So sorry. I really should have posted this when I had time to deal with it. In my brain the only way to clean is deoxit and fader lube, so the answer your question... I have cleaned the 2 phone switched multiple times of the past couple years. Just got used to tapping the selectors to get...
  2. T

SX-1080 selector switch issue

There are 2 phono selectors and one phono board, so I am assuming the two selector switches just change the route of the phono inputs to the phono board. The issue I have is that when selecting the phono input, many times the left channel is lower than the right. If I tap the selector button...
  3. T

CT-F6161 Value?

What is the rough estimate of the CT-F6161 in excellent cosmetic condition and fully functional? I don't know what offer to make and I don't want to pay more than it's worth. Thanks!
  4. T

Speakers Sound Like Crap First 15 Minutes of Use

Okay, I'm now sure it is in my head. My main listening is on my Polk 1.2TLs, so I guess I expected too much from these, soundwise.
  5. T

I kept the On TV box when we canceled the service back in '82. The Atari Video Music has been around since new.
  6. T

I'm starting to think many are correct about it being in my head. I've been listening a little more closely today and I do believe I'm getting past it. They sound great in clarity and imaging, but the bass is lacking. I have an Audiosource EQ One with the calibration mic. I'll move it to...
  7. T

Pic is about 2 years old.
  8. T

I want to say both, but I completely overlooked doing a R/L listening test, so I can't say at the moment. I know the sound is centered, so it is either both or what I'm hearing doesn't affect the balance. I will try tomorrow morning as I have warmed them up for the day.
  9. T

You know, I never check that. I had assumed, when I replaced the driver, that there weren't any as it is a single full range driver.
  10. T

I have a set of Realistic Solo-103 speakers and for the first 15 minutes each day, they sound bad. Not like there is something seriously wrong with them, but it sounds like I'm listening to an FM station with a weak signal, if that makes sense. After warming up, they sound great for what they...
  11. T

Questions Restoring VSX-5000

I've been trying, but 12V 2.3W incandescent, especially with leads, are not easy to find. Most are 5W. I found a seller on ebay that has ones that work on 12V and produce the light of a 300ma incandescent (so about 3W). That should be close, I hope. They also have LEDs on all side and top...
  12. T

Questions Restoring VSX-5000

I am restoring my old VSX-5000 receiver and 3 of the 4 bulbs that illuminate the display are blown. I can't use a standard LED kit like I used in my 1080 as they are 12V, not 8V. I thought I'd just use a 194 LED, but it is too bright and illuminates all the parts of the display, not just the...
  13. T

Pioneer SX-1080 Mute Switch

Easy to flow some new solder. Might explain why it happens just about every time I turn it on after being off for a day or so and never happens once on after toggling the switch.
  14. T

Okay, I think I'll put it on the bench, remove all the covers and fire it up. I know if I touch the switch it will work, so I'll need to get it completely opened up so I can immediately get readings when it happens. Then I'll desolder and resolder the points you noted. Thanks for you help...
  15. T

Is there anything special about the mute circuit? Is it just running through resistors to attenuate the volume? The reason I am asking is that I have an issue with mine. I have cleaned it many times over the past years, but a problem still exists. When I turn on the unit, the channels are...
  16. T

SX-1080 Protection Board Lessons Learned

Okay, I just wasn't sure what a 400V film cap would look like and if it would be out of place among the other components (in case it was huge). I was able to finish my shopping for parts. Should be here mid week, so the fun will commence shortly after. Thanks for all your help. I hope this...
  17. T

Okay, is there a suitable replacement for the UPW? Some are discontinued (1uf 50V and 47uf 10V and others have a backorder date of June 18th. Also, some of the UKLs are backordered until mid June (10uf 50V). Then there are the film caps. I can't find any DME in .1 50V, .47 50V. Any other...
  18. T

Okay, I think I was on this track a few years ago as I seem to have the .56 100 DMEs and some of the UKLs. I think I was going to go with the UKWs as I have all the values in those, but won't use them and will order the UKL and UPW as noted. I do have one question.... The voltage values on...
  19. T

Well I am done with the protection board. There are a few things it didn't fix and a few lessons I've learned. The replacement of the protection relay was not necessary as recommended. After I replaced it, I opened the old one. Not one sign of corrosion, pitting, burning, etc. It was...
  20. T

1080 protection relay and switch cleaning

So no idea as to the flashing of the FM indicator on power down?
  21. T

Well, as I expected, since the 470 is ten times larger than the 47, the time would be reduced that amount. It now takes 5 seconds. And what I also noticed is the soft start relay is so much louder than the protection. Even up close you can barely hear the protection with the soft start being...
  22. T

Boy, do I feel stupid. Somehow a 470/25 made it into my bag of 47/25 caps. So I can see why it is taking so long since it has to be charged before triggering the relay. Time to swap it for the correct one. That takes care of the startup time, so now I just need to know why the FM indicator...
  23. T

I just went over all the voltages on the protection board and compared to SM. They are as expected. Only thing, to measure the .7 for Q2, I had to wait the 51 seconds for the relay to click, then I found voltage. Could it be the (tested before install) C3 is bad? My understanding is that cap...
  24. T

Okay, I have done the caps and transistors and decided to test before I started the relays. Now when I turn it on, it takes 51 seconds to hear the relay click and the speakers come on. I've tried a number of times and it is pretty consistent. I check the base of the transistor and before the...
  25. T

Okay, I'd rather ask a stupid question than mess something up. So I did the caps and transistors on the protection board and am looking at the relays. The replacement relay for the protection has 6 soldered legs and the replacement has 8. The spacing of the legs point to the last set going as...
Back
Top Bottom