Search results

1. premiumplus

Radio Shack Optimus 7 Speakers..

I've owned four of these great speakers since 1973, and I blew the original tweeters in the first year I owned them...I just replaced them with a good quality tweeter that Radio Shack carried at the time and they've been fine ever since. I'd just suggest getting a nice 8 ohm replacement tweeter...
  2. premiumplus

Hey Steve, I'm in Mid-Michigan too. I've had 4 Optimus 7 speakers since 1973. I used to manage a Radio Shack out in So. Calif. and we were surprised and disappointed when they discontinued these great speakers. They sound better today than many very expensive speakers do. I blew and replaced my...
  3. premiumplus

Hey woofercooker, (and all Opt.7 lovers), I've been rocking two pair of Optimus 7 speakers since the 1970s when I managed a RS store out in So. Calif. and they're right up there with the best. My main system now is bi amped Dahlquist DQ10's with a pair of Dahlquist subwoofers, which sounds...
  4. premiumplus

VERY unusual console found

Does anyone have an idea of how many of those beauties were made? I wonder how many survive today. It's gloriously attractive and I want one. It's just too cool.
  5. premiumplus

Phase Linear 1000 Upgrade site

I recapped my PL1000 series I and got great results. Been contemplating doing the mods referred to above...maybe this winter when the snow flies.
  6. premiumplus

What do I need to run 6 dahlquist dq-10's

Yes, a re-foam of the woofers was the first thing I did to mine. They sounded great for the first hour or so then one of the woofers surrounds let loose and to hear the sound you'd think the speaker was shot. Refoamed them, then built the WOPL amplifiers and biamped the system. It's just...
  7. premiumplus

The DQ-10s are the best speaker I've ever heard, when driven with enough power...They are also probably the most inefficient speaker ever made! I'm putting over 500 WRMS into mine and they suck it right up. In return is fabulous sound. I'm keeping mine.
  8. premiumplus

115.4 dB 115.4dB, no problem...:thmbsp: I just put on Steely Dan's 'Babylon Sisters' and measuring with my CheckMate CM140 dB meter, C weighted, I got 115.4 dB without any trouble at all. The DQ10's were crystal clear, and the only reason I didn't go higher is that I'm out of subwoofer fuses...
  9. premiumplus

Phase Linear/White Oak driver boards

You won't be disappointed...see ya on Phoenix!
  10. premiumplus

Phase Linear/White Oak driver boards

I guess the cat's out of the bag now, because the last six or eight months have seen PL 700B prices jumping up...and I personally know WHY. I have two WOPL 750B amps in my stereo, one driving the main Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers, and the other one bi-amped with the Dahlquist active crossover into...
  11. premiumplus

Dahlquist DQ 10???? Avid???

I'm never looking back from my DQ-10s...great, great speakers. Ya did good, buddy!
  12. premiumplus

Biggest lot of test gear I've seen

If I was still actively working I'd be all over this. What a great buy...you could turn 1/8 of the stuff here and make money! DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!:banana:
  13. premiumplus

Dahlquist DQ-10 Serial Number Roll Call

40798, 40803 here. Originally mirrored, yellow "Dahlquist" labelled caps, two small film caps over by the left side of crossover (looking from the rear of the speaker). Bought mine second hand, no factory stands. Right now I'm using Dahlquist DP-1W Low Frequency Modules on each side for...
  14. premiumplus

Sonicaps (Gen I) vs Auricaps?

I completely agree, Ken. Show me two capacitors that measure identically in terms of capacitance, dissipation factor, leakage, ESR, etc. and I'll show you two capacitors that sound identical.
  15. premiumplus

Keithley 2015 THD multimeter

Thanks for the tip. That may solve my problem...it's one sweet looking meter.
  16. premiumplus

Solid State Safety Question

More like a few thousand ohms...this needs to be carefully calculated taking into account the initial charge voltage and the safe target voltage you want to discharge to after you turn off your component, along with the time you want to reach that target voltage. Google it up online, you'll...
  17. premiumplus

Tweeters

If you can match it up in terms of frequency response and (more importantly) efficiency, you are way ahead of the game. But speaker crossovers are specifically tailored for the driver that they originally ship with. The closer you can specify the replacement to the original, the better.
  18. premiumplus

Ugly Phase Linear 400, Sad

Looks like a prime candidate for a complete White Oak Audio conversion...Can't do much about the wood face though...
  19. premiumplus

Using a ESR tester and reuse the old caps.

Toss the old ones. For all of the reasons given above.
  20. premiumplus

Boston Acoustics A150 opinions

I haven't heard Snells but I do own some Boston Acoustics A-200s and A-150s. The bass isn't overwhelming but it is amazing for the appearance of the enclosure. It is the volume more than the shape of the enclosure that defines the woofer response, but it still defies logic to see a THIN...
  21. premiumplus

Rat Shack dying

Couldn't agree more. I used to manage a Radio Shack (Lynwood, CA) back in 1975. Too bad that they won't listen, or can't. It's likely too late now.
  22. premiumplus

New To AK, New (To Me) Pioneer

There's nothing like well restored, TOTL Pioneer components. I love my SX-1010, SX-1250, SG-9500, TX-7500, and PL-71. I've got a nice cassette deck too, forget the model number...
  23. premiumplus

Pioneer Sx-1010: Newbie audiophile needs guidance

Mark, if you still need the DBT voltages PM me. I've got a working 1010 and a DBT downstairs, 40, 60, 75, 100 watt bulbs available. No 150's. Be glad to help out in return for all you've done for the forum. While I'm at it I could measure my 1250 as well... Dave
  24. premiumplus

Some more info on Dahlquist DQ-10s

8 months :D
  25. premiumplus

Some more info on Dahlquist DQ-10s

Can I get the record for reviving an old thread? Hey guys, I've been listening to my system today and reading old threads on the DQ-10's. I couldn't help myself from contributing to it, hope I'm not breaking all protocol by bringing up an 8+ year old thread! I first heard the DQ-10 speakers...
Back
Top Bottom