Search results

1. synclavier82

Is it ever too late to switch head shells?

Friend of mine needs a head shell. I was thinking of giving him the old technics head shell i'm currently using and then buying a new technics head shell for myself. Is it ok to re-mount my MLa on a new head shell if it already has roughly 200 hours on it? I would use the same alignment method...
  2. synclavier82

Beach Boys SMiLE Sessions Box Set

I picked up the 2LP version yesterday. Speaking just about the music, I thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed it more than the 2004 version. I'm thinking about adding the deluxe box set to my Christmas list.
  3. synclavier82

New Vinyl With Blemishes

All warps or just the ones that affect the sound? Because if I sent back ALL warped new vinyl, well, I might as well not bother purchasing any at all.
  4. synclavier82

New Vinyl With Blemishes

Quoted for truth. I think that causes the vast majority of the issues I tend to see with brand new vinyl... especially when it comes to warping. I'm in the habit now of examining new shrink-wrapped records by aiming my vision down the the sides of the jacket. If you see any noticeable bowing...
  5. synclavier82

New Vinyl With Blemishes

That's a weird one. But I commonly see blemished new vinyl. In fact, I'd say it happens more often than not these days. Usually what I see can be attributed to scuffing during the packaging and/or shipping process. Also par for the course is mild-moderate warping. It's annoying. I have about 300...
  6. synclavier82

Help diagnosing a reoccurring noise from a brand new LP.

It's a pretty obscure new album by this SoCal artist who goes by the name Mirror to Mirror. I think there were only 250 copies pressed. But that aside, I contacted the distributor and asked if he had heard of this issue before. He said that he had listened to two different copies of this album -...
  7. synclavier82

Yes, this is the only record on which I've noticed such a regular noise. I'm just wondering if my expectations of the vinyl format aren't out of whack.
  8. synclavier82

Its a reoccurring noise that first appears about 2 minutes into side 1 and then proceeds for much of the duration, increasing and decreasing in volume as it goes. Not sure if it's a widespread pressing defect or an isolated issue with this copy. And it's always at regular intervals, about once...
  9. synclavier82

Is this record too warped to play safely?

Well, I think I tend to use the term "warp" a little more generally than some of you guys. If the record doesn't sit flat on the platter, in my mind its warped. But yes, it definitely seemed to be concave. It didn't seem to actually touch the platter for any reasonable amount of time. Then...
  10. synclavier82

For what it's worth, here's two more examples of slight warping on new records. I found these acceptable. acceptable warp 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGiw81ujz7o acceptable warp 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMkhhEa4F64 That first record I posted originally barely ever touches the...
  11. synclavier82

Technics 1200mk3d Hinge Kit Instal

Basically, the way I understand it is that those plates on the back will be discarded and replaced with new plates that have the proper holes in them. And that is what your hinges attach to. If you have the pilot hoes, you can modify them to accept the hinge. It's a shortcut. If you don't have...
  12. synclavier82

Technics 1200mk3d Hinge Kit Instal

Hey Eric, unfortunately I don't believe the M3D has the pilot holes. They were added later. At least, I know my M3D (manufactured in 2000) doesn't have the pilot holes. My MK5 (manufactured April of 2010), however, has the pilot holes. So, without those, I think you're looking at a full...
  13. synclavier82

Well, I've just returned from the store and I have good news to report. The store owner was very cool about it. He first offered to let me have his other copy, but I expressed my concern that it was likely warped too. So, he opened it there on the spot and tried it out. Sure enough, it was in...
  14. synclavier82

I hate to hassle the store owner, but I do purchase lots of vinyl from him on a regular basis. But from the replies here it seems like my concern is a reasonable one. Thanks for weighing in, everyone.
  15. synclavier82

Looking at the spine of the album jacket, I just noticed that it is also warped. It bows out considerably near the middle. And now that I think about it, the other copy he had in stock appeared even more bowed. Is it safe to assume that if the album jacket looks warped, the record inside will be...
  16. synclavier82

Just got back from the record shop with a brand new, sealed album. Sadly, when I put it on my turntable, I discovered that it's severely warped. (In my opinion, at least.) I did not attempt to play it yet because I'm afraid that it might damage my stylus suspension. What do you guys think? I...
  17. synclavier82

Question for those with KAB's tonearm fluid damping system

That makes sense. I think I can deal with that. At least I won't have to worry as much about accidentally banging my stylus into something. Thanks for your take on things.
  18. synclavier82

cool, thanks Bob and David. That was my main concern. Is it any more difficult to balance the arm with the trough attached? Seems like if anything it would be easier...
  19. synclavier82

I was looking into getting one of these for my MK5 and I wanted to know if it was still possible to adjust the VTA with it installed. I can't tell from the pics, but it looks like the fluid trough might interfere with the VTA adjustment ring. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!
  20. synclavier82

Bought a warped record. Seller is now trying to tell me it's normal. Help!

I still stand by my assessment that the item is severely warped. Anytime you can see daylight between your platter and the record, that is a severe warp in my opinion. Maybe the video doesn't show that well enough, but that's my two cents. In any case, warping like this should not be present in...
  21. synclavier82

I'm a reasonable person. That's why I posted this video on Audio Karma for evaluation. If the general consensus is that no harm can come from playing this record, I can accept that and move on. But this guy made it personal.
  22. synclavier82

Fair enough. I don't think I'll file a complaint with eBay, but I will leave negative feedback based on his customer service. I won't even mention the warp.
  23. synclavier82

Yeah at this point I feel like it's a customer service issue. If he doesn't agree with me that this warp is an issue, fine. But don't insult me over it. If I were to leave negative feedback for him, it would be because of that. Not because of the warp. At the end of the day, the record cost...
  24. synclavier82

Yeah me too. At the same time, I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending it back to him only for him to deny me a refund. At this point, because of how rude his responses have been, I feel like I'd be more satisfied leaving him negative feedback and calling it a day. The...
Back
Top Bottom