Search results

1. E

Building a Vintage/Contemporary HT with ADS Speakers

You might try running those ADS L810's with phantom center channel selected on the AVR if you haven't already. You might be surprised how well they can handle mid/wide dispersion and not need a center channel at all. I did it for years with a set of old Phase Techs.
  2. E

Onkyo finally admits problems with AVR's and offers customer care program

I wonder if Onkyo's recent partnering with Gibson Musical Instruments had something to do with them coming clean about all the issues with HDMI and audio/video switching? Either way I am glad to see them finally fixing these units on there own dime.
  3. E

Some Blu-Ray Discs don't plan on Pana BDT230

For movies that flash or go black but have the audio play through, try turning off deep color on the Blu-ray player if it is set to on or auto..
  4. E

Help requested on Definitive Technologies ProSub 1000 Diagnostic and Repair

I have always started by isolating the power supply from the amp. With the way you are describing the screech it might be a bad electrolytic cap. You are right though, an O'scope would be a good tool to have.
  5. E

Rigging VCR On DVD/VCR/Digital Tuner Combo To Record Digital?

That's one reason and another is the DRM that is often attached to a digital signal.
  6. E

Japanese 6.1 Surround FLAC, a single rear speaker instead of 2 in 7.1?

Depending on the signal 6.1 can be mono rear speaker so 1 or 2 speakers is moot but yes, the 6.1 would imply a single speaker. Plenty of older BD movies have 6.1 DTS.
  7. E

Receiver suggestions?

What digital interface is required HDMI and/or optical-coaxial would determine where to start looking. Most Denons and Onkyos from a couple years ago in the middle models would have both digital interfaces and Audyssey EQ. The Denon AVR-1612 or AVR-1613 for example can be found in your price range.
  8. E

DLNA and My LG Smart TV, Hosanna!!!

My new Panasonic TC-L50E60 has DLNA capabilities as well works great for video and music.
  9. E

Very Odd Question about my Center Speakers

Good choice. If it sounds good to you that is all that matters.
  10. E

Splitting the LFE

Four shouldn't be a problem but the length of your sub cables might be. I run four subs here but three are on the LFE while the fourth is connected LFE to an amplifier than passive sub. The farthest on the LFE does need a little bump in the gain compared to the other powered 2 ten inchers which...
  11. E

Panasonic AG-W1 VCR?

I had 2 AG-1980's wired together with an AGA96 controller which were similar to the AG-W1 without the multi-format support. Back in the day these units were considered top of the top. The SVHS output is definitely higher than standard.
  12. E

Video playback cuts out on HDMI feed

Is it always at the one hour mark? Could be an energy saver feature of the projector.
  13. E

movies and intelligibility

The TX-SR502 is multi-channel. Depending on the way the OPs Onkyo is configured it may be as simple as setting the unit up with Phanton Center channel. Since all dialog is centered on almost every movie mix out there, with no center channel configuration all dialog will be lost in the mix.
  14. E

Yamaha HTR-5890 or Technics SA-DA8

I think you are going to like the Yamaha sound and the extra oomph and extra codec handling like THX and DTS ES-discrete doesn't hurt one bit, just think of it as extra resources you will have at your disposal.
  15. E

Home-made instrument, anyone?!?

I made an electric guitar out of scrap maple and basswood in wood shop my Junior year back in "77". Used a plywood Sears Tele knockoff I purchased back in "76" for the template. The electronics cavity and neck pocket were chiseled out by hand and I routed a decorative edge around the sides front...
  16. E

setting up 5.1 - use 2 nicest speakers for center channel?

Pointed upwards won't work, I've tried it. Behind the TV at the back will work as long as the dimensions allow some free space otherwise you will only get the muffled blanket over the speaker effect and all the Audysee correction in the world could not compensate for that. Your AVR is rated at 6...
  17. E

What receiver do you have that is irreplaceable

I have my Onkyo HTR550 that I feel the same way about, not high end by any means but a very solid performer that on some occasions even bests my Denon on some audio tracks.
  18. E

4K TVs and DVDs

What I have done in the past is take a DVD into Best Buy and have a sales person setup a Blu-ray player on the set in question and check picture quality for myself. Removes all doubts.
  19. E

Modern TV to old reciever for audio

There is the AGPtek 5.1 Audio Gear-T41A that decodes AC/3 and DTS. Three output channels: connect to home theater or a 5.1-channel power amplifier ((FL/FR if 2.1 channel)These get advertised mostly for DVD and Blu-ray players and game consoles with optical and coaxial outputs but will work fine...
  20. E

HT newbe needs simple how-to advice

A hard wired internet connection using cat5 or cat6 is always preferred but not always practical. Your internet service provider might have other ideas but the bare minimum would be wireless N-class router 2.4+5 ghz dual band. Cat5 cat6 network cable is not the same as rg5 or rg6 TV cable.
  21. E

Advice on DVD/VCR combo

Disposable commodity indeed, Magnavox/Philips/Toshiba DVD/VCR combo units all have a life expectancy of about 2.5 years with moderate use. Brand new units can be had for $80.00 to $100.00 so don't bother with used unless you can get a known working one for roughly half of what a new one costs.
  22. E

Subwoofer choice?

I agree, the Martin Logan would be my choice of Sub if the OP only has the 2 to choose from.
  23. E

Panasonic to stop making plasma displays

My 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma (circa 2009) ran so hot it burned a 1/2 circle in the screen the size of a basketball. It did have a fantastic picture for movies and sports but the heat that came off that thing walking by it was something else. It was replaced with a 50" 120Hz, 240 Back Light...
  24. E

Marantz NR1603: New build for home AV

Yamaha just sent me an email with this http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-s600_black_u/ this one doesn't up convert analog to HDMI but it does provide component and composite outputs.
Back
Top Bottom