Search results

1. CharlieBee

How to replace the power light & FM stereo light on Pioneer SX-650 receiver

I need help in removing the power light & FM stereo light on Pioneer SX-650 receiver. Thanks Charlie
  2. CharlieBee

Income Tax may be due on sales of used Audio Gear

The IRS is getting interested in folks selling used stuff for more than you paid for it. "The IRS has has delayed for one year, a new law requiring payment payment processors like Venmo and platforms like eBay, Etsy and Airbnb to send tax forms to users who make more than $600 in revenue."...
  3. CharlieBee

Audio/Audio Engineering Magazine, 1947-2000 On Line

The link below will take you to Audio Engineering Magazine on line. It is a good read if you have the time and an index for the early years only. It has reviews and lots of Ads on vintage consumer audio gear. It has all the old names you old timers love...
  4. CharlieBee

Plugging JBL L-50 Speaker Ports

Will plugging the speaker ports of a pair of JBL L-50s speakers improve the bass response of the speakers? Charlie
  5. CharlieBee

Good Information on History of High Powered Vintage Receivers

I have been enjoying the below link on History of High Powered Vintage Receivers, mostly Pioneers from the 1960 and 1970s. It details the fight to make a 100 watts RMS per channel the new normal. The article is from Audiohololics.com and written by Steve Feinstein on February 20, 2015...
  6. CharlieBee

Why doesn’t Sony Hi Fi gear get much Coverage or Respect?

I have loved Sony electronic gear for over 50 yrs. It started with a $10 AM radio, the size of King size pack of cigarettes, that had a great robust sound and a great AM tuner that picked up AM signals for 1000 + miles at night. Then there were cassette players and recorders, Walkman AM/FM...
  7. CharlieBee

New Vinyl making a great come back

Wall Street Journal Stated 3-1-2019 " Vinyl, which hit its highest revenue level since 1988, now makes up more than one-third of the physical format total. Overall revenue from physical products was down 23% to $1.15 billion, buoyed by a lift in vinyl records of 8% to $419. Compact-disc sales...
  8. CharlieBee

Vinyl Albums Shipments Highest since mid-1980's

Wall Street Journal on 9-21-2017 stated: "Vinyl albums, at 29% of physical shipments, accounted for their highest share since the mid-1980's, according to the Recording Industry Association of America." "physical product shipments slipped 1%--a significant lower decline than in recent...
  9. CharlieBee

What Happened to my Turntable Rubber Mat?

I have a Technics SL-D3 Direct Drive Automatic Turntable bought at a Church sale in 2007. I have not used it in several months. Last week I noticed the TT rubber mat (original) was shiny. It was wet with some liquid and the rubber mat was hard and stiff. The mat deteriorated and is useless...
  10. CharlieBee

AudioVox Advent AW 820 Wireless Stereo Speakers- Who has them?

Just wondering who owns AudioVox Advent AW 820 Wireless Stereo Speakers and what do you think of them? I have three pairs of AudioVox Advent AW 820 Wireless Stereo Speakers and use them to improve the sound of TVs with those small poor factory speakers. The Advent AW 820 speakers can be placed...
  11. CharlieBee

Do pieces of gear or brands of gear find you?

Almost all audio gear has been purchased in Baton Rouge, LA during the last 13 years from garage and estate sales and at thrift stores. I just keep an eye out for audio gear at a low or reasonable price, especially 100 amp/channel or more receivers. That plan has resulted in obtaining several...
  12. CharlieBee

Hot chassis and Shock Hazards of old AC/DC Radio Tube Gear

I recently got gifted of a old Hallicrafters S-77A tube shortwave receiver from 1955. An internet search pointed out the shock hazards of the two wire plug and the hot chassis being possible 50/50 chance. This is possible because the switch in only on one side of power cord. I checked for a...
  13. CharlieBee

Yamaha R- 9 Receiver and the Audi R8 coupe

As an owner of a Yamaha R-9 receiver, a great all black beauty, I was interested in a 6-22-2016 WSJ article on the Audi R8 automobile coupe. Anybody own both? Charlie
  14. CharlieBee

Buy Anything Cool Lately?

I picked up aother set of AudioVox Advent AW 820 Wireless Stereo Speakers. Transmitter hooks up to the TV and wirelessly transmits stereo to speaker/amp on each side of the couch. Each speaker has its own amp and volume control. Makes hearing much better and at lower volumes. Works very well...
  15. CharlieBee

HP Laptop Screen Hinge Failure Cause & Fix

HP dv7 Laptop and other models Screen Hinge Failures are a common problem with recent models. I hope this write up is helpful to some. I have determined the root cause of HP dv7 laptops and probably other HP laptops hinge issues is due to a too tight hinge joint because the hinge nut is too...
  16. CharlieBee

9090 - Removing Jumper wire on relay board

I am seeking clarity on removing the jumper wire on the Sansui 9090 F-2547 Protector circuit board from the relay contacts to ground to keep the relay contacts from being welded. I just want to be sure I have identified the correct wire. One AK post said the jumper wire is next to the relay...
  17. CharlieBee

Fuse or Flameproof Metal Film Resistor in 9090

My Sansui 9090 shows red and will not go to green in protection. I have found R29, a fuse 390 ohm resister is open and plan to replace it and R30 with Flameproof Metal Film resistors. I love it when I find something wrong with a broken piece of equipment, at least it is a start in the cure...
  18. CharlieBee

Knight Kit 10 in 1 tube kits from the 1950's

Seeing the nearby post on Heathkits reminded me of the Allied Electronics Knight Kit 10 in 1 kit I got for Christmas in the 1950's. It had a tube or two and was a flat piece of board to wire the circuits on. Later kits had cases and transistors. I do not remember all the 10 circuits it would...
  19. CharlieBee

Spring here in South- Time to hunt Garage, Estate and Church Sales

After a slow winter on sales around here, ads are picking up in the paper and signs are showing up on the street corners for garage, estate and church sales. Got some of each for sat., April 20, 2013 here in Baton Rouge, LA. Hope to pick up a good inexpensive 5 disc CD player that plays...
  20. CharlieBee

Vintage Stereo Reciever Mic Inputs

Most of my stereo receivers have one microphone input (ex Sansui 9090,9090db). My Pioneer SX-1010 has two microphone inputs, I suppose one for each channel. This seems more practical if one wants full stereo with microphones. Do other stereo receivers have two mic inputs? Charlie
  21. CharlieBee

2.5 Million $US Sports Car, Worlds fastest Street Car

This may be old news to some but the Wall Street Journal had an article on the Koenigsegg Agera R today, 10-20-12. It will cost $2.5 million and go to from 0 to 186 mph (in 14.4 sec.) and back to 0 in 21.19 sec. total and supposed to be the fasted street car in the world. It ought to be at...
  22. CharlieBee

Movie Recommendation

I recommend the 2016 documentary movie for all to see. The number one rated movie this week, in only 1000 theaters and cost only $2.5 million to make. It is informative, factual, fair and professionally made. Charlie
  23. CharlieBee

Sensor tape sensor location an TEAC A 3300 SR

I have the titled tape deck and it reverses with a sensor tape installed on the tape. The service and operating manuals do not mention or show where the sensor is located. My Akai GX 250d ss has the sensor in guide pins but the Teac pins do not appear to be sensor equipped, so where are the...
  24. CharlieBee

Teac A-3300 SR - Making Missing Parts

A friend was relocating overseas and gave me a well used Teac A-3300SR RTR. It required only some switch cleaning to get it running well. It was missing the top front grill and tape head cover. Finding this parts would be near impossible. So I decided to make them. The top of the grill was...
  25. CharlieBee

Glad to see a Dual 1249 actually sold for $375

Many Dual 1249's are listed at higher prices but one actually sold on e for $375 with 36 bids, on July 8, 2012. Now if I could just get mine to drop records with that funky spindle spidery thing. I know dropping is not good on vinyl. Maybe I will threaten my 1249 with a promise to sell if...
Back
Top Bottom