Search results

1. P

Tannoy owners thread

crossover help? Getting some Sensys DC2 drivers but no crossovers. Any one have experience with these? Plans are a 3-way with JBL woofers working below 200Hz.
  2. P

Yamaha CA-2010/1010 temps: share your data!

sssboa, The Class A should work and not mess up the amp. I did a second test, with a CD player sitting on top. To keep it simple, I used 4 CD cases (a 4 cm space) to elevate a flat board that the cd player sits on. Class AB: same temp as before, 110F after several hours Class A: after 1...
  3. P

Yamaha CA-1010 switch-on

My 2010 was recently rebuilt - the tech who did it found that it was turning on in class A but staying there. He tracked it down to a bad transistor in the power supply board. Is it possible this may also be an issue here? Bad transistor that changes with temperature, or solder joint etc?
  4. P

Tonearm for Thorens/Grace F9 combo

I second this. The MMT is underrated IMHO (I have one). It is as good as or better than an SME 3009II improved. I love SME arms, but lots of decent Japanese made arms from the same era are as good or better.
  5. P

Grace 707 vs 545 vs SME III For Grace F9L

As the guy offering the SME III, if the Grace arms are under the $300 limit you mentioned, I'd go with one of them. The 545 looks amazing from the pics 've seen on google The SME III is the least supported by SME as far as spare parts go. I talked to the SME expert in Ontario about this the...
  6. P

CA-1010 v A-S1000

I thought the same when I first saw them, but I do like the look anyway. The new A-S1100 adds meters, and looks better to me. I'm glad Yamaha have these out, and I'd like to get one some day but right now I'm enjoying a restored CA-2010 and liking it very much.
  7. P

Yamaha CA-2010/1010 temps: share your data!

Got my CA-2010 back from Brad last week after did a good restoration/fixup job: fully re-capped, new relays, fuse-resistors, critical diodes, and trim pots. I've been using it happily since then. :banana: It's awesome to have a reliable working amp again. Now, I am not new to Yamaha, the CA...
  8. P

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Those are almost EXACTLY what I've been thnking of doing...if I had the room. My ideas are based on an EV GEorgian II from late 80s - It's a 3-way with an 18", a 12" mid at the top, and then a horn in between the two. here's a thread on LH about them...
  9. P

JBL-ians. A consensus please.

4425?
  10. P

Anyone catch the Marantz in the "Blacklist"?

I saw it too, and then again briefly last week. I also pointed it out, and my wife also groaned... :D BUT I had it recorded, so from what I can see after watching and pausing it many times (and counting the number of knobs and buttons) is that it looks like a 4230 or 4240 (or 4270 if there...
  11. P

efficient small speakers

...oh, my advice. get a powered subwoofer. keep the KLHs
  12. P

efficient small speakers

...especially if you listen in a smaller room, are close to the speakers, and the speakers are near a back wall or the corners - then small sealed box speakers are almost ideal. But if you've got a huge room, or giant open floor areas with vaulted ceilings and you're listening from far away...
  13. P

voice coils: 2, 3, or 4 inch? does it matter??

Thanks for the replies. It seems that the whole thing is pretty complex and that generalizing isn't a great idea. I've been reading more and there's gap width, depth, VC diameter, winding height, number of layers, and magnetic flux that all play a role in what the speaker will be like. As...
  14. P

voice coils: 2, 3, or 4 inch? does it matter??

For years all the big 18" and 15" JBLs had only 4" voice coils, while the Altec 15s had 3", and most other makes had everything in between. EV had some 2.5" and 3" VC woofers (12 and 15, and 18 too?). JBL even put 4" VCs into 12" woofers (like the Fender MI woofers, and some studio monitors)...
  15. P

Pair of JBL's, are they worth what I paid for?

:thmbsp: haha! I have avatars turned off so I didn't get the joke! all good.. :yes:
  16. P

Pair of JBL's, are they worth what I paid for?

you're kidding, right? Don't confuse the car audio and mass-market Best Buy stuff with the pro gear - totally different build quality and sound. anyway, $350 for the pair - you did well. The parts alone are worth more than that.
  17. P

Refurbishing Rare Cabasse 40 m4 (Galion IV) Speakers! Help!

wow, nice find. Those look to be early 1990s, maybe late 80s vintage? With no foam to help center it the VC will rub. Replace the foam surrounds first. As others said don't touch the crossovers - those look like they are all film caps and should last a very long time.
  18. P

Canadian foam surround supplier?

I need foam for Snell J-IIs, odd sized cones... think he'd have those too?
  19. P

yes, that's the place! :D
  20. P

Try MAT Electronics in Vancouver. They have a minimum order, but the prices are reasonable and shipping isn't too bad.
  21. P

Hoarding Vintage Audio

SoundJunky, By coming here and writing that first post, and then posting pictures, you've made the first step. Congrats! An early reply had good advice - and you took. Good for you! Lots of posts with good advice..and I had a much longer post here with lots of advice, but I think you 'get it'...
  22. P

JBL L220 and JBL LE14A's

John, my observations match all this. The middle version: alnico magnet, white (silver?) label, and foam on the back of the cone seem to be found in some (perhaps all??) of the L220 and 222 that are out there. The "A" versions then had the ferrite magnets? I agree that the early Lansalloy...
  23. P

JBL L220 and JBL LE14A's

I've been following LE14As, L220 and L222s (all versions.. ) on eBay auctions for years and I'd agree - I've seen L220 and L222 auctions with LE14As in them but they seem to have black foam surrounds glued to the back of the cone, not white Lansalloy glued to the front. However, I don't...
  24. P

JBL L220 and JBL LE14A's

rockman I wish I had your troubles! :thmbsp: I have a similar story - I bought a pair of L100T from the original owner - he had triamped them with a home-built crossover but kept the original crossovers. I bought them for the parts (the cabinets are pretty nasty..) but I got curious so I...
  25. P

Celestion Ditton 66s are here!

I have a pair of 22s I bought a few years ago (now in storage). After using them for a few months I decided to take the drivers out to see what the model numbers were and found the mids were wired out of phase from each other! As far as I was concerned they came that way from the factory...
Back
Top Bottom