Search results

1. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

Just one more question... after adjusting bias (which is stable, no problem here) i listen to my MC602 more carefully and found out that it need at least 1,5 hours to sound at its best .... it was not necessary before to wait such long time to get best from this amp.. After approx 1,5 hours...
  2. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

does mc601 or mc602 works in class A for first couple of watts...? or this is just AB construction....? i wonder because they run simply cold.....
  3. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

there is small difference in gain between taps...i've try all of them, best results (for me) were on 8ohm tap....
  4. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

Well...this is why i wrote that it is strange......measurements shows : this marriage should works.....but it is not...... at least to my and couple of my friends ears.....what can i say....for my ears lack of dynamics was biggest surprise.... As always - try before you buy...especially in...
  5. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

My MC602 sounded flat with Maggies.....rather poor dynamics, lack of air usually great soundstage wich is produced by Magnepan's was missing too.... It was really strange because nearly any speaker hooked to MC602 behaves in opposite way....this is why i wrote above that those two did not like...
  6. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

well....long story... :) in short : true power house with old McIntosh sound, good ability to drive demanding speakers (i. e did great job with Infinity Kappa 9a and then with Infinity Epsilons feeding bass (great at mid/high section too), however did not like Magnepan's 1.6 too much ... :) (i...
  7. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

This is good question...i believe that higher temperature was caused by 18mV bias instead of 12mV but why it drifted to 18...i have no idea... It is quad balanaced amp...i noticed, that before adjustments there was a difference in bias within one channel to be precise right channel was 12,2 and...
  8. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

I'd like to thank all the helping - special thanks to damacman for clinic-audio contact and to clinic-audio for sharing know how !! Since i do not have a chance to compare values with another MC602 (it is quite rare in PL) i decided to contact McIntosh customer service...
  9. V

How does bad cap look?

most of the time i do the same....but you know ...audiophiles...no matter of what they know better... :-)
  10. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

:beerchug:
  11. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

BIG Thanks for pro explanation ! Since i do not have distortionmeter or oscilloscope (i mean good one) i will go through first method. Just one more question about adjustments enviroment.....how long i should run my amp before adjustments or should i perform it on cold or warmed up amp...?
  12. V

McIntosh 2120 rebuild?

no problem at all - just try and choose....
  13. V

McIntosh 2120 rebuild?

usually MC bulbs are white (transparent)....green colour comes from foil filters (however, i'm not sure if this apply to all mac's...new ones has diodes...maybe those are green..?)
  14. V

McIntosh 2120 rebuild?

10/40's are ROE bakelite capacitors....i did 2120 recap..... and decided to find NOS of these....i found...on ebay..as far as i remember... 63volts are here.. : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-NOS-ROE-EK-10uf-63V-HI-END-BAKELITE-CAPACITORS-FOR-NAIM-AUDIO-/171788081358
  15. V

McIntosh 2120 rebuild?

BTW...since i opened my "lightweight baby" some cleaning was performed..(no too much dust since the amp runs rather cold) and its input caps are..... Rubycon YK series... nothing special apart of low ESR...but they works great in this amp.... if something is working good there is no reason to...
  16. V

How does bad cap look?

there are some good meters which could be used without take out the cap from the circuit...but to be on safe side i usually taking the cap out and measure it out of the circuit.. :)
  17. V

McIntosh 2120 rebuild?

Panasonic FC are bit to "dry" to my ears in signal path (you know i'm McIntosh sound addicted).. however these are really good caps for almost any application..
  18. V

McIntosh 2120 rebuild?

after job is done - take a while to readjust it... here is service manual for your amp.... : https://elektrotanya.com/mcintosh_mc2120_power_amplifier_sm.pdf/download.html speaking on capacitors - i have good experience in my DIY projects with Panasonic FC, (non signal path purposes), for...
  19. V

How does bad cap look?

Sometimes bad cap doesn't look bad.... :-) i mean that to find out if it is OK or not you have to measure it...(capacitance, resistance, ESR)... i would say that 25+ years old caps (or younger) should be replaced....especially those working in hot enviroment....
  20. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

"just" 155lbs... :-) imagine how many D class amps could be made of this weight... :-) it looks like bias setting of MC602 is quite well kept Mac Labs secret... I'd like to ask MC602 owners..: what is heatsinks temp of your amps...let's say after one or two hours of playing at moderate...
  21. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

Yep..this "lightweight" baby needs help.... i went through service manuals of MC501, MC601, MC402, MC252 and of course MC602....only MC402 and MC602 don't provide values for bias setting....
  22. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

little update, measurements looks like this : left side - 18mV, both heatsinks right side - 12mV, both heatsinks hence i'm close to conclusion that MC602 could be biasd similar to MC501 monoblocks - 12mV +/- 3 mV..... Could you pls confirm such approach....? BIG THX for any advise..! Service...
  23. V

McIntosh MC 602 bias

After several years of great service, it looks like my MC602 needs some attention....it still plays music fine but i noticed that left side heatsinks are much more warmer then the right ones.... To be honest i don't know what temperature is the "correct" one - cooler or warmer... :)....it looks...
  24. V

Terry DeWick has retired...

Enjoy the retirement sir ! Many thanks for your valuable help and knowledge shared..
  25. V

Accuphase C280 problem

THX for reply ! I like thevintageknob very much... unfortunately C-280 page is missing details about mentioned volume pot.. :-( i was trying to google for it also - but unfortunately without success....Accuphase is keeping their secrets...to get service manual or any tech info for their...
Back
Top Bottom