Search results

1. newworld

Best DAC under $150

iFi Zen Air would be my preference, but my Schiit Modi 3 has spdif connection which I actually use.
  2. newworld

Cambridge Audio - CXN v2 Network Player

Sorry, just saw this. As much as I liked the CXN V2, its pricing was not worth the upgrade from my Node 2. Yes, it sounded cleaner and perhaps brighter, but plugging the Node back in revealed that I could live with either. I loved the phenomenal connectivity, but I will only be using it for...
  3. newworld

Best Budget DAC's 2020 ?

Yeah, I ended up taking out the Modi 3 from my main system and enjoying the Node 2 in its simplest form. The Modi 3 is now part of my audio junkyard that gets recycled in various usages. Right now, it's sitting between my Macbook and JBL 104's. I mean, it has to be better than the line out from...
  4. newworld

$80 Desktop Sanity

My original plans with some Wharfedale Diamonds didn't exactly go as planned and I picked up a pair of powered speakers for the first time. The JBL 104 fit into my requirement like a glove in terms of form and function with its small foot print, nearfield optimization, and built-in volume...
  5. newworld

Received my unit today and it replaced the Bluesound Node 2 on my rack. First impressions: The Stream Magic has improved tremendously since my last in-home demo. Everything is snappy and pleasant to use. You have control over every aspect of the streamer on your phone. And there's the search...
  6. newworld

Ordered one and it's well on its way. It will have to be significantly better than my Bluesound in terms of sound and functionality in order for me to keep it.
  7. newworld

Added a Blusound Node 2i to my system

You might already have one. The Airport Express that I no longer use is no more than an Airplay 2 machine. Connected to my Schiit Modi 3, it was working just fine.
  8. newworld

If using the Node for Airplay only, then it becomes redundant in your system, considering the external DAC will be your choice of analogue output.
  9. newworld

Not sure if the Node would need Chromecast. I will find out if I need one.
  10. newworld

Qobuz, Cambridge Audio CXN and Chromecast not gapless?

Ha, sorry. It seems I made "gapless" sound like a politically divisive word! I was just saying how it shouldn't still be an issue. :)
  11. newworld

My apologies. I can see why you'd be confused. I was referring to the probability of Bluesound having to change models in order to feature Chromecast Built-In. The Chromecast Audio dongle was discontinued, but the implementation of the software in audio hardware is becoming the norm.
  12. newworld

I've owned the Node 1 and am currently using the Node 2. I skipped the 2i because it was not an improvement. Having said that, I think I know why the 2i will likely have a short shelf life. It was a stop-gap solution for Airplay and a short-sighted one at that as Chromecast Audio came along. I...
  13. newworld

Qobuz, Cambridge Audio CXN and Chromecast not gapless?

Crazy how gapless is still a term being tossed around.
  14. newworld

The analogue output from the Node 2 is much better than people give credit for. Unlike on some reviews, the Schiit modi 3 does not improve on the Node. It's overly damped in the bass and unnatural in the treble. Now that I know, the Modi 3 is an excuse to build another system around it in the...
  15. newworld

Best Budget DAC's 2020 ?

I think it can also be interpreted as how the DAC technology has already been pretty much perfected and now manufacturers are just playing with form and features as well as rehashing the old ideas. Soon enough they will come out with another form of peripheral.
  16. newworld

Best Budget DAC's 2020 ?

I've gotta try one of those Topping DAC's. Schiit Modi 3 I've been using has been extremely underwhelming. It definitely doe NOT sound better than the DAC in Bluesound Node 2.
  17. newworld

Does it have a search function on the app? I remember demoing the V1 at home and ready to put down the cash only to find out I couldn't search by typing in. Sounded so good though. My Bluesound Node back then couldn't hold a candle.
  18. newworld

New to me Integrated Challenge

I've always come back to Exposure 2010S2D after owning and auditioning many different amplifiers in varying price points. You may be able to find the older 2010S2(without the D) exactly at your budget.
  19. newworld

Denon PMA-600NE!

Were you able to listen to all those amplifiers? It would be nice to hear your impression on those.
  20. newworld

Cambridge Audio CXA81 vs CXA80 series - any better?

The CXA80 is absolutely underpriced and as good as any under a grand. For me it's the perfect combination of power, sound quality, and features.
  21. newworld

Denon PMA-600NE!

I've been eyeing this amplifier to go with my newly acquired Wharfedale 220's. Hopefully a used one will pop up. At its retail price, there are way too many options.
  22. newworld

Cambridge Audio CXA81 vs CXA80 series - any better?

I tend to read into manufacturer's blurbs more seriously than I read into subjective reviews. When they say the internals are overhauled, I think the parts are no longer available. When they say it's better than ever, I think they've found new suppliers (therefore able to cut cost). A bit...
  23. newworld

The Wharfedale Evo 4.2 my new reference!

I hope you had a chance to listen to the setup as you describe it. Although I have no reason to believe that it will sound less than good, I'm curious. What makes you think it will sound "tube-ish"?
  24. newworld

Cable recycling starts!

More laid back but articulate sounds about right. Speaking of cables, I've discovered that shielded interconnects make my main system sound disastrous. It's not about sounding good or bad, actually. It makes the highs distort like crazy, like cranking the ignition on a car with a dead battery...
  25. newworld

Cable recycling starts!

Better...I don't know...different...yes. All I know is that there are many cheap DAC's out there that you can experiment with, especially on the used market. For example, Micromega Mydac is a terrific choice and can (should) be had for around $100. I might actually get one for the Wharfedale system.
Back
Top Bottom