Search results

1. rmeade

Has the USPS Lost Its Mind?

Last week my friend's mother passed away in Florida. She went down to have the body cremated. The facility that had her mother's body could not do this so they shipped the body to a crematorium that could help. No USPS was not involved but the body was delivered to the wrong funeral home and...
  2. rmeade

Revitalizing AK

I thought it was a good example. With ChatGPT one can continue to ask questions to reveal more information (so says my son who uses it regularly). Thanks for taking the step to explore ChatGPT's relevance. AK's founding dates back to the early days of Google. I have searched AK and the...
  3. rmeade

Radio Shack Minimus-1

For me - curosity; it's a hobby.
  4. rmeade

Revitalizing AK

I don't think that anything has changed in this regard. I recall being rebuffed by a highly regarded member (and AK member of the year) during my early learning stage (about a simple question). Participation has definitely decreased, from my perspective (gained through participation since...
  5. rmeade

Old Receiver + Old Speakers = ?

This might help
  6. rmeade

Local Speaker Choices

The Frazier are probably from the low power amplifier era, might not be certified for classic rock - driven by a pioneer 1080. KGs might be more appropriate.
  7. rmeade

What are you listening to right now the second you see this post

Yellow Submarine by the Beatles, via Kenwood kr-7600 and Realistic Nova 9s
  8. rmeade

Second Hand Bozak B-501s

Discusson: good visuals of the original Bozak crossover. When you get your speakers, open it up and take pictures ... post them here for 'our' opinion.
  9. rmeade

Second Hand Bozak B-501s

Here is a discussion about the B501 https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vintage&m=186447 Note that they inspected the crossover components and discovered 'film caps'. This is important as such caps are very long life and not likely to require replacement (if original). This is further...
  10. rmeade

Second Hand Bozak B-501s

Hi Luke. You opened the door on a rather techical subject - Bozak modifications. Bozak made a line of speakers that incorporated the same three speakers (woofer, midrange and tweeter) in varied ways to create individual products. The most common modification (which applies to the entire product...
  11. rmeade

43 Years And Counting

Nice story, congratulations. I am headed towards 45 this august, perhaps I visit Knights Ferry.
  12. rmeade

Dynaco A-25 Questions

Greetings, this looks like a nice speaker. I had a couple of pairs of Dynaco a40xl speakers and this looks to be very similar. Dynaco created a acoustic suspension version of the a25 and named it the a35 (which sported a larger cabinet). Later they replaced the tweeter with a version that had...
  13. rmeade

Sansui AU-217 restoration

Greetings I am working on a 317 and have purchased this as a replacement for its fusible resistors: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/RN60D1500FRE6?qs=0smPjiIwnfKP0Zko95rVTw%3D%3D It may not be appropriate for your machine, check the specs
  14. rmeade

School speaker project

Nothing is more sustainable than recycling and reuse, so I second GD70's recommendation. Rather than creating a product - consider creating a process where a range of recycled drivers (component speakers) live a second life. New speakers (today) are mostly constructed in low wage countries, with...
  15. rmeade

Realistic Nova 9 Rehabilitation

I was agreeing with you! Few would go to such lengths. Its was VideoLady who inspired me with comments (on the Nova 8b modification) that in essence said - rather then buying our way up the vintage speaker chain, we should work to obtain the best from what we have. Apparently, back in the day...
  16. rmeade

Realistic Nova 9 Rehabilitation

Yes the crossover from DIY Audio is over the top. I had all of the inductors and this made the fun little project possible. To my tastes it sounds great and it has adequate bass.
  17. rmeade

Boston Acoustics A100 speakers

to me the A100 sound just like the Dynaco XL40. I had two pairs of the early version A100 and two pairs of the XL40, all at the same time. I think that the BA are great speakers. Congratulations!
  18. rmeade

Hello friends, it's been a while...

With your presence in so many posts here, Paul ... its like you never left I tried to insert the Dave Mason song (youtube link), which I would have learned if I had taken Social Media 202. Alas ... welcome back!
  19. rmeade

SX-3900 vs SX-1980

This is a suprise review. Things do go wrong with age - capicitors dry out and their resistance change and sometimes transistors fail. I wonder if your 3900 would benefit from a compoment refresh. Of couse these big machines are difficult and expensive to work on - its kind a labor of love.
  20. rmeade

my sad collection of "New England" loudspeakers

on hand: Bozak 302a, 2 pairs AR3a, 2 pairs KLH Model 5 Cizek, Model 1 and Model 2 Passed through my fingers: KLH 6 & 23; Epicure 400; Advent OLA & small advent; ADS L780; Boston CR9; AR 91
  21. rmeade

Vintage JBL Nova

I bought a pair about 10 years ago for $175, the cabinets were in poor condition. They sound OK, but not great. I plugged the port and the sound improved somewhat. Its tweeter has been criticized here (AK). I would not buy it again. current local pricing example...
  22. rmeade

Technics SB-K915 value

Try using search. I stumbled on this: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/speaker-upgrade-what-components-first.208222/ apparently it has no crossover, which are electronic filters that aportion specific frequency range (of sound) to specific drivers. This would be unusual for a...
  23. rmeade

Beatles White Album - question, not a review

Here is a nice discussion https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-beatles-album-george-martin-called-disappointing/
  24. rmeade

Which speakers did you decide to buy back / buy again?

I have had three pairs of KLH 6 speakers. They used to be easy to find and were inexpensive. I buy and repair speakers somewhat continously. So I come to a point where some have to go. The 6's are easy to sell, so out the door they go. In recent years prices have increased and supply has...
  25. rmeade

KN Knight Mystery Speakers

The potentiometer is a variable resistor, then there are a couple of capacitors and a few inductors. So its all there.
Back
Top Bottom