Search results

1. flat_spin

DL-160 users chime in please

I assume you're asking about tracking force because you're worried about damaging you records by tracking too heavily. Don't worry too much about that. In the grand scheme of things, the cart's upper limit of 2 grams isn't really that much. As many others have posted in innumerable threads...
  2. flat_spin

Stupid suggestion corner...

Hello all. It's been a while since I last posted, so I thought I'd come back with something a bit stupid (and possibly dangerous). Could sodium hydroxide solution theoretically be used to clean records? The idea occurred to me the other day whilst cleaning a particularly stubborn blocked...
  3. flat_spin

Elliptical vs. Conical Stylus

In my experience, I've found that ellipticals are best used with new records or records in good condition. Conicals, while not being as detailed as ellipticals, track heavier and tend to 'hug' the groove better due to their larger profile and are ideal for worn out records, or singles that are...
  4. flat_spin

Going to the UK...where to buy vinyl?

Virgin was subject to a management buy-out just under two years ago which rebranded all their stores as "Zavvi" (no, me neither), who, in turn, promptly went tits-up last Christmas. HMV is the only major record chain left. This, along with the current renewed interest in all things PVC has...
  5. flat_spin

Most ridiculously overpriced record you've seen.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETER-PAUL-MARY-Warner-Brothers-LP-White-Hot-Stamper_W0QQitemZ380104942511QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item58800523af&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177&_trkparms=|293%3A1|294%3A50 Mehehehehehehehe!
  6. flat_spin

My new toy...

Okay then. Here it is in action. My camera is playing up at the moment due to the flash not working in macro mode. To get these photos I had to put it on the floor next to the window to get enough light... Update on the teething troubles: I guessed right on the belt problem. Sure...
  7. flat_spin

My new toy...

It's alive... ...sort of. So, the new belts flopped through the door this morning (thanks LP Gear) and I duly set to work. Fitted them and powered her up. The small belt is a rather snug fit but I figure this is better than it being too loose. I dropped an old 45 on the platter and hit...
  8. flat_spin

Beatles Better in Mono?

*COUGH*! ...Dr Ebbetts... *AHEM*!...
  9. flat_spin

Beatles Better in Mono?

Yep, plus the fact that Brian only had one good ear meaning that he couldn't hear true stereo. Stereo only works properly if it was engineered that way. That is, if a group or orchestra was mic'd up in such a way that the reproduction equipment at home played back the illusion of a...
  10. flat_spin

Most Powerful Songs Written?

"A Change is Gonna Come". Sam Cooke.
  11. flat_spin

Whatever happened to SIMPLY VINYL?

I've got one - Nick Drake's 'Bryter Layter. Judging by the way it's EQ'd, it's sourced from the digital remasters from a few years back. That said, it's a fine pressing and, given that I'd probably have to sell a kidney to afford an original issue, I'm glad they took the trouble to reissue it...
  12. flat_spin

My new toy...

It's not actually a linear tracker, Spud. The arm is a weird L-shape with the pivot under the casing. The model number is PS-Q3A. Annoyingly, searching Google for anything with "Sony PS" throws up a load of PlayStation crap. If you want more of an idea of how insanely small it is, check...
  13. flat_spin

My new toy...

Unfortunately, it doesn't work (yet). I knew this when I bought it, but for 15 quid, I just couldn't say no. In the description I was told that it powers up but the table doesn't turn. "Hmmmmm..." I thought to myself, "sounds like it needs a new belt". So, armed with my trusty screwdriver, I...
  14. flat_spin

My new toy...

...well, second-hand, actually. Combining my fondness for turntables and my fondness for the miniature, I decided, on a whim, to pick up this little thing. Sorry for the blurry pics.
  15. flat_spin

New Wilco LP

After some shopping around, I ordered mine from here (#2). http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_m_h_?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=wilco+album&x=0&y=0 Even if they realise they've made a mistake, they'll still have to honour the sale. This happened last year when I got REM's...
  16. flat_spin

New Wilco LP

Some new LPs are better than others. Hopefully when my copy of the album flops through my door next week it'll sound as good as Sky Blue Sky. Meanwhile, I'll content myself with Sonic Youth's new one. Sounds phe-no-me-nal.:music:
  17. flat_spin

Vinyl and polystyrene

Ummmmm...yes. I'm aware that they're both plastics (and that vinyl and polyVINYLchloride is the same thing). What I meant is how would you be able to tell if a 45 in your posession was vinyl or polystyrene?
  18. flat_spin

Vinyl and polystyrene

As pointed out in the recent 'labels to avoid' thread, some older 45s were pressed on polystyrene instead of vinyl, presumably as a cost-cutting exercise. How would one go about identifying a non-pvc 45?
  19. flat_spin

scratchy sound, Help

Sorry if this comes across as condescending, but are you running the table through a line-level input instead of a phono stage?
  20. flat_spin

Tracking force: How much is too much?

Welcome to AK, by the way. Regarding the comments about conical vs. elliptical styli, I would have guessed the opposite: conicals have a larger surface area and a larger contact area, therefore the higher level of downforce is effectively negated as it is spread over a larger area. As I read...
  21. flat_spin

Labels to avoid?

Many would say that, but I would respectfully disagree. Get Back do fine reissues of classic 60s psychedelia, like my copy of The Creation's singles collection. Ditto for SunDazed. If you want a label to avoid, try The Control Group, a company that does vinyl issues of current albums for...
  22. flat_spin

S shaped tone arm vs Straight arm?

Ouch
  23. flat_spin

Why do some 45s have drill holes in them...

Ah-ha! That'll be why. The 45 in the pic was part of a job lot from ebay, the rest of which were UK issues. Though why it was necessary to import copies of this particular single given that UK issues were plentiful at the time I do not know. Forgive my ignorance, but are/were all US 45s...
  24. flat_spin

Wow on p3-24

Um...didn't I just say this?:confused:
  25. flat_spin

Why do some 45s have drill holes in them...

...like the one seen here?
Back
Top Bottom