Search results

1. made in china

Covid, RSA, RSV, Flu, cold, 2024

:rflmao:I used to carpool, did that for 12 years. Other people being sick in the van didn't bother me, but it did bother my boss who rode with us. One of my sinus cavities is deformed from something that was growing in my head for 30 years, it took out the back of my eye socket and reshaped that...
  2. made in china

Covid, RSA, RSV, Flu, cold, 2024

This cool season has been rough on my wife and I. I think I probably caught Flu, cold and one of the RS things. My wife did too, plus she had a very short, mild bout of COVID. Me, I never became sick enough to stay in bed or feel sluggish. It was all congestion type annoyances. No headaches or...
  3. made in china

Longevity of CD/DVD players..

Just had this happen to my Japanese-made Pioneer 300 disc. It has low hours on it, and when I asked it to switch discs whilst it was in the process of playing a disc, it jammed and then the disc grabbing arm popped off of it's track. I had to unload over 200 discs, take it apart and figure it...
  4. made in china

Untamed Vintage Pioneer HPM-100?

Thanks! The sound is far better than before. To me, HPM-100's in stock form become very tiring to listen to after one or two tracks. Now I can listen all day, the clarity is much improved, everything seems more detailed. I will say, the upper range seems "bright", I don't dare turn the treble...
  5. made in china

Some final pics of an installed PCB: Mounted to the enclosure bottom using nylon spacers and particle board screws Interfacing with the original terminal cup required metal spacers to prevent the screws from going too deep into the OEM binding posts, the thickness of the metal spacers is the...
  6. made in china

Just looking at the construction of the supertweeter, I can see it is mostly a gimmick that Pioneer did not put much effort into. All plastic construction. Looks like a metalized plastic film transducer that might be constructed somewhat like a sheet capacitor and is energized by higher audio...
  7. made in china

I have 3 pairs of the PCBs left.
  8. made in china

Just how popular were Bose bookshelf speakers?

I'll add that Bose "traditional" speakers were still popular until at least the mid-90's. I bought a set of 201's for my Mom in 1992 from Circuit City. I remember at that time, Bose were a solid choice. I believe Bose still allowed their speakers to be in the same demo room/shelves as other...
  9. made in china

Realistic Nova-7B Mystery Crossover

Yeah, I know. I was hoping someone else has seen something similar....
  10. made in china

Well, I finally installed the "untamed vintage" MAV crossover breadboard into one of my HPM-100 so I could A-B against the original HPM. Sounds way better to me, I could definitely pick up not-so-subtle improvements, harshness was significantly dialed down, separation between similar sounds...
  11. made in china

Buehler???.....
  12. made in china

HPM-100 woofer needs repair.....conundrum maybe

I ended up paying an arm and a leg for a used woofer in good condition and have since put my speakers back together. I am also building the MV Audio Labs crossovers for them as I really like these speakers. GordonW has me figured out, yes I do have Pendulum in my CD changer, and I also have...
  13. made in china

Is capacitor break-in a thing...

As a practicing electronics engineer and hobbyist, I'd like to add a few points to these debates about "break-in" of caps. Regarding modern passive components, very few (actually, I can't think of any, besides rechargeable or standby batteries) are actually rated to "change within a few...
  14. made in china

Another thread about Realistic Nova 7B

A while ago I was able to repair the cabs on my 7B's. Woofers and tweets are in perfect looking condition and check out electrically. I recapped the crossover with new 15uF MPT caps. My previous observation of my Bose 201's blowing them away stands for the most part..... unless I sit directly in...
  15. made in china

Buehler?
  16. made in china

Well, I decided to pull the dust cap off and investigate the issue, and I was hoping that it was just the solder joints from the tinsel leads to the VC needing to be reflowed, but unfortunately one of the tinsel leads is intermittently open in the area where it passes through the cone, and since...
  17. made in china

Thanks for the lead, bummer though, here's their reply: Hello, Thanks for the inquiry. We are currently not accepting any new repair work. Luckily, there are other shops online that can assist you. Try The Speaker Exchange in Tampa, FL or www.speakerrepairpros.com Or, do a Google search for...
  18. made in china

One woofer of my HPM-100's went open circuit. I diagnosed it as the tinsel leads disconnecting at the voice coil under the cap. I really don't want to pick up a new skill set, so I looked around for someone who can repair this woofer. Found a guy on eBay with excellent feedback, but after 48...
  19. made in china

HPM-100 ruh-roh shaggy

Jamming out to my SX-1050 with HPM-100's today, I noticed one woofer stopped moving. Did some quick troubleshooting, confirmed that the woofer VC circuit is open. Since I noticed it right about when it happened (I noticed the woofer working moments before, I play them without their grilles) I...
  20. made in china

SL-1500 low freq feedback, feet are no good

I have a Technics SL-1500 that is becoming more sensitive to LF feedback. Even though my receiver has a sub-freq HPF, it doesn't help as much as I'd like. When I refurbed the TT, I noticed the OEM feet are rotted away and likely not doing their job anymore. Unfortunately, the overall height of...
  21. made in china

Are lower EV prices tempting?

This is like my home power tools. Corded, cordless, air and gas powered are all well represented. Although I use almost entirely cordless at work as we have the budget for the best battery systems (Hilti) possible, as a balance of trade-offs and value, I do prefer a corded circular saw, router...
  22. made in china

The main improvement in big box battery tools was just manufacturers finally adopted better battery chemistries. They avoided that for the longest time, they only wanted to use NiCad up until a few years ago. Even then, I have nice B&D and Makita Li-Ion tools, and one of my B&D Li-Ion battery...
  23. made in china

As cynical as I am, I do acknowledge that autonomous cars will generally be better drivers than 75% of what I see nowadays. I work in the transportation industry, I see way too much disappointing actions from the driving public. it's ridiculous how bad so many people are. Sometimes I'm not...
  24. made in china

I don't know if it's this way everywhere, but in AZ and WA state, you can't even BE in your car when drunk, even if it's not moving, not running, is parked. Only if you have a designated driver can you be in it. So, the laws will need to evolve around this, as EVERY manufacturer currently has a...
Back
Top Bottom