Search results

1. SolutionRoom

SX-3900 Powers on, but no audio output...

Hey Les, I didn't mess with the internals of the relay. It worked as intended once all other portions of the amp circuits were proper and functioning. As MTF stated... it is not easy to get inside of it, and getting a replacement would take some effort and likely have to come from a...
  2. SolutionRoom

SX-3900 Rescued but needs help!

PM'd you Bill. For a bit of basic help, I would make sure (as you mentioned) to check for cold/loose solder joints, as this receiver runs a bit warm, especially through the years with other gear sitting on top of it preventing good air-flow out. Also, notorious on this unit is the cracking of...
  3. SolutionRoom

Pioneer SA-8800 problem with channel cut-out

Deoxit the entire machine. All pots and switches. There is a Deoxit thread on AK to help with the process. Do a search.
  4. SolutionRoom

SA 9800 Fluroscan display question.

I vote for it being a cold/loose solder joint with MTF. Just pull the board and re-flow solder over all joints. If you want to check for separation, you can shine a bright flashlight on the top side of the board and "gently" wiggle each component to "see" where the separation/crack is. The...
  5. SolutionRoom

Pioneer SA-9100 rebuild

No crickets... Nice find on the rusted out leg. Going back to what I said earlier. With amps that are over 35 years old, you will definitely need to look closely and test diligently the voltages on all points accessible. This is not uncommon. Obviously flowing solder over this component...
  6. SolutionRoom

Pioneer SA-9100 rebuild

It's probably a cold solder joint that rears its ugly head once the amp warms up. I'd give the power supply board and others a good look at and re-flow some solder on them. This might just solve your issues.
  7. SolutionRoom

Pioneer sa-9800 with slight mains hum?

Good deal. Didn't mean to be mean... Peace
  8. SolutionRoom

Believe me, you did not annoy Mark. He is a very generous person to provide his time and knowledge on Pioneer gear - for free. However, you must be patient and you MUST do all steps in the correct order and accurately IF you want your unit to work properly (or at all). It will get done. If I...
  9. SolutionRoom

I LOVE Mark. He's a true saint...!
  10. SolutionRoom

One important thing not mentioned yet is to deoxit any/all pots and switches. Thins can be a bit tricky and will require partial disassembly to do it correctly. Also, I am assuming the amp has never been recapped? As MTF mentioned, the EL caps will certainly be drying out and can cause this...
  11. SolutionRoom

SA-9800 in need of some TLC

The meter being dim may be a product of the Amp being on the DBT not able to draw the current it needs to fully light. So don't be too quick to think there is an issue with it. Get the offsets and bias set first on the DBT then turn them all the way down before you take it off the DBT and...
  12. SolutionRoom

Sorry for the delay... the holiday weekend consumed me. I did not do any mods or additions to mine.
  13. SolutionRoom

That Q1 and Q4 issue is a big one. I'd test them completely out of circuit as well. Once that is corrected and the resistors all checked then you "might" have a good PS board. Make sure you test the resistors with one leg up and out of circuit. I don't believe the R21 and R22 readings are...
  14. SolutionRoom

Replace it with the same type. They (flameproof resistors) are there for a reason, and dissipate heat due to the current passing through them. They are also spec'd that way so the resistor burns to protect other components from being damaged should there be a fault somewhere in the circuit...
  15. SolutionRoom

I did not replace any transformers. Take a close look at it and you should be able to tell if any "real" damage exists. So long as the wiring on the transformer is good, it likely isn't damaged to the point of needing replacement. That is good that you already saw my threads. I am not an...
  16. SolutionRoom

My 9800 and 3900 threads are located here. You will need to check your specific amp boards and not use old lists on AK for parts, as Pioneer did revisions along the way on these amps/receivers, and sometimes did not document these revisions on the schematics. In addition, there have been...
  17. SolutionRoom

For what it's worth... I rebuilt my 9800 not long ago in its entirety. It works beautifully and sounds excellent. That being said, I would "shotgun" the power supply board. That is what I did on mine to ensure the amp is getting the correct power and is reliable for years to come. The 194...
  18. SolutionRoom

SX3800 - Thanks and a Lamp ?

Started putting together the LEDs for my 3900. Man!!! Building those full wave bridge rectifiers sure made me initially feel like the village idiot. But once I got the hang of it they went smooth. Thanks kensn and MTF for your help!
  19. SolutionRoom

No worries. And thanks for the photo. I know it's hard to get a photo to look right.
  20. SolutionRoom

Hey Kensn... Can you post a few photos of the receiver all powered up and done? I'd like to see the final product on an overall scale now that you have the LEDs all in. I did some testing today with the same blue oval LEDs I just got from Mouser. They really are tolerant of low current and...
  21. SolutionRoom

Hey Kensn... One more thing before I place the order and get this project going... Did you leave the standard bulbs in place for the dial lighting? Or replace them with LED too? I'd like to replace all of them while I'm in there, including the dial lights. What would you do with those?
  22. SolutionRoom

So you did 2 separate Bridge rectifiers and resistors for each of the speaker selector LEDs? And then what about the function selector LEDs? How were those handled? They are already DC, so only needed a resistor to bring the voltage/current down? And did you only need 1 resistor or one for...
  23. SolutionRoom

That indeed helps tremendously. I just did a quick lesson study on YouTube on the various bridge rectifiers. Your explanation then made it crystal clear to me. Thanks again!
  24. SolutionRoom

Thanks for the info Kensn. I am not too sharp when it comes to some electronic terminology or methods. I do like the look of this LED mod though, and want to incorporate it into my 3900. Can you clarify what you mean by this..."I built a full wave bridge rectifier out of 4 1N4001 diodes and...
  25. SolutionRoom

@Kensn... I will be following your thread for sure. Much interest in this. @skibjr. That looks great. Perfect color match to orig. I have a 3900 as well that I have been thinking about LEDing. The AUX lamp is out and I just re-worked the receiver completely a while back (including new...
Back
Top Bottom