Search results

1. friendlyvolc

MX117 Tuner Section out

OK, I understand. But here's what's weird: if I start the MX117 after leaving it overnight, the FM works in stereo for about 5 minutes. Then a loud audible pop and then no more radio. The other inputs work normally and there's no crackle or static if I push any buttons or twirl any knobs...
  2. friendlyvolc

MX117 Tuner Section out

OK, after leaving it for a night, the tuner worked in stereo perfectly for about 10 minutes. Then it abruptly cuts out and is then on only faintly heard at max volume. All other inputs work correctly. Any idea what in the tuner section would cause this sort of behavior?
  3. friendlyvolc

MX117 Tuner Section out

The plot thickens. After Deoxiting (is that a verb?) the mode selector pot, the tuner section first was gone almost entirely (very faint stereo at full volume), then came back after maybe 15 minutes to full strength in both channels. But not for long! If I switched the mode to phono or aux...
  4. friendlyvolc

MX117 Tuner Section out

I've got a Mac MX117 tuner/preamp that's been working pretty well until lately. I'm sure it's never been recapped, though. First, the left channel of the FM section went out, where I could only hear the right channel in stereo or on both channels when switched to mono. The AM section seemed...
  5. friendlyvolc

Rebulbing my C15?

Worked like a charm! Now on to my MC122 and desoldering the little bulbs from the front panel board. I assume I need to remove the four retaining nuts to get the board free? Then desolder the two lights that illuminate the panel?
  6. friendlyvolc

Rebulbing my C15?

Ah… so those are tabs! Didn’t compare backs of bulbs carefully enough to notice. Thank you!
  7. friendlyvolc

Rebulbing my C15?

I've got my C15 Pre-amp apart, but I'm wondering if someone can point me to the best way to pull what I need to in order to rebulb this unit. I've got a replacement bulb kit from Thackery (they're all incandescents). I haven't been able to find a service manual online, so I'm hoping some kind...
  8. friendlyvolc

Super tweeter suggestions for my open baffle 604s?

My dog hears waaaay too much as it is. He reacts to every tiny animal sound on my TV by charging the screen. I will say that A/B with and without the Fostexs that I have definitely makes a difference, so the numbers might not be the main criterion.
  9. friendlyvolc

My configuration is much like a Big Red in that there are two bass drivers, one in the 604 and the helper Alpha. Not sure I need more than two 15" bass drivers. Besides, there'd be no place to put one. If I was really chasing bass, I'd probably add a sub into the mix. The diaphragms are...
  10. friendlyvolc

Those B&G are tiny and cost effective. I wonder how they compare with the beefier ESS Great Heils? The Mundorfs I mentioned were near $700 each, which is a bit rich for my blood. Anyone have an opinion on any of the classic JBL bullet tweeters? Would they add anything to the mix? Or perhaps...
  11. friendlyvolc

Yea, it's my office/studio, which is a downtown loft (and former notorius nightclub!). It's less than perfect for audio (concrete/brick walls, wood floors, a big glass window wall.) but there's furniture and assorted other gear, so it is what it is and I'm not going to "treat" it.
  12. friendlyvolc

I'm not sure I have a theoretical requirement about open baffle and full frequency range. Right now, I'm more or less flat from 30hZ to 12kHz. I know I could get lower in the bass with a sub, but not really super critical. I guess my first question was (based on the design I have) whether...
  13. friendlyvolc

Having measured the speakers with and without the super tweeters, there's pretty much of a fall-off on the Altecs after about 10K. So super tweeters will have a function. Right now, the Fostex bullet super tweeters I have are sealed and front-firing. Are you saying it's a mistake to go with...
  14. friendlyvolc

Only goes to 20,000??? I'm still trying to see any advantage to OB 604's you are only getting the OB effect from 40-1500 hz? nothing above that:no: Not sure what you mean OB "effect". Could you elaborate? The speakers, as they are, certainly go above 1.5kHz... (BTW, I'm not being smarty...
  15. friendlyvolc

Anyone familiar with these Mundorf”s: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/air-motion-transformers-amt/mundorf-amt23d6.1-c-dipole-air-motion-tweeter-amt/
  16. friendlyvolc

It appears that Pure Audio makes (or has made) a mounting plate for them for open baffle: https://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/heil-ess-amt-mounting-plate/ The Great Heils are heavy suckers. The spec sheet says 14 lbs! But their range only goes from 800hz to 20kHz, so not really “super”...
  17. friendlyvolc

What model super tweeter is that? Didn’t see a link….
  18. friendlyvolc

I’m not cutting off the Altecs at 5K, just starting to bring the Fostex in around then. With a new super tweeter combo, I could change the cross point of course. As far as the helper bass is concerned, this is similar to Pure Audio ( I bought the drivers from them) and I like how fast and...
  19. friendlyvolc

A little while back, I built some open baffles for my Altec 604Es. They're each made from one piece of 4x8 1" Baltic birch. The panels are floating in sorbothane bushings and there's various forms of damping throughout. The design was a sort of modified Pure Audio Project idea where the...
  20. friendlyvolc

Looking for quality turntable stand source?

These are not cheap, but I’ve seen them in person and they’re stout, beautiful and functional: https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/racks
  21. friendlyvolc

Technics EPC-205 mk3 incoming

Hmmm. Sounds a bit more involved. To your knowledge, are there any techs out there who've done this correctly and offer this service? I've seen enough horror stories of techs who went ahead and replaced the cantilever with something aluminum or wrecked things permanently. I have a Jico stylus...
  22. friendlyvolc

Technics EPC-205 mk3 incoming

To revive a sagging thread (this one and my EPC 205CM3 stylus!), has anyone actually tightened the tiny screw holding a Mk3 cantilever and made it stiff enough to work? The screw is so small I will need to source an even smaller jeweler's screwdriver than the smallest one I have. Does anyone...
  23. friendlyvolc

How good Is the Mx110z?

In response to the OP question of suitable replacements for the MX110, I agree that functionally and aesthetically, an MX117 (which I currently own paired with some Heathkit W5Ms and a MC2105) is a fine choice. There are very few Tuner/Preamps besides Mcintosh (Scott 355 comes to mind) so if...
  24. friendlyvolc

Mono MC250 with 16 ohm speaker

The MC100s are pretty rare but there are MC2100s all over, so that would probably do the same. One claim was that there were only 370 units of the MC100 made. I think there’s a pair on the Bay right now.
  25. friendlyvolc

Mono MC250 with 16 ohm speaker

How would the the fact that these amps have autoformers play into the strapped power/impedance equation?
Back
Top Bottom