Search results

1. friendlyvolc

MX117 Tuner Section out

I've got a Mac MX117 tuner/preamp that's been working pretty well until lately. I'm sure it's never been recapped, though. First, the left channel of the FM section went out, where I could only hear the right channel in stereo or on both channels when switched to mono. The AM section seemed...
  2. friendlyvolc

Rebulbing my C15?

I've got my C15 Pre-amp apart, but I'm wondering if someone can point me to the best way to pull what I need to in order to rebulb this unit. I've got a replacement bulb kit from Thackery (they're all incandescents). I haven't been able to find a service manual online, so I'm hoping some kind...
  3. friendlyvolc

Super tweeter suggestions for my open baffle 604s?

A little while back, I built some open baffles for my Altec 604Es. They're each made from one piece of 4x8 1" Baltic birch. The panels are floating in sorbothane bushings and there's various forms of damping throughout. The design was a sort of modified Pure Audio Project idea where the...
  4. friendlyvolc

Mono MC250 with 16 ohm speaker

I have some 16 ohm Altec A7s with an Emilar EA175-16ohm horns and Altec 416-16ohm bass drivers. Right now I'm bi-amping using two mono MC60s for the horns and one stereo MC250 for the bass drivers. The MC60s are attenuated so as to better match the output of the 50wpc MC250. I now have a 2nd...
  5. friendlyvolc

How do you discharge static?

OK, I'll start it off. During the winter, I sit at my chair rolling back and forth on a hardwood floor/Ikea plastic floor protector. I then turn around to change the record. I've taken an old Sorbothane mat and stuck it on the wall behind a conduit. Every time I approach the turntable, I...
  6. friendlyvolc

Technics EPA-100 VTF scale

OK, this probably relates to any tonearm with a numbered VTF scale on the counterweight. My normal VTF setting procedure is the same as most: I mount the headshell with cartridge and turn off the anti-skate (set to zero) then turn the counterweight until it floats level. Then I turn the VTF...
  7. friendlyvolc

I’m too high

Or maybe my tonearm is... I just built a plinth for my newly acquired Technics SP-10 Mk2 and EPA-100 arm. The plinth is a solid 3” thick layered birch ply affair. I’ve found an original Obsidian armboard which I’ve mounted next to the deck. The aluminum armboard is mounted on the same level...
  8. friendlyvolc

Technics SH-10E (SP-10 Mk2) Power Supply Input Voltage?

Can anyone tell me if the power supplies for SP-10 Mk2 tables are all universal (100/120/220) voltage and I can buy a unit from Japan without worrying about a step-down transformer? Are there US spec versions different from Japanese versions?
  9. friendlyvolc

Luxman CL-35 Variations?

I'm looking into getting a CL-35 pre-amp. There's a Mark I, II and III. Does anyone know the differences between these models? I have not been able to find any clear information online anywhere. I already have a CL-32, which I really love, but I'm thinking of a 35 for a different setup...
  10. friendlyvolc

Altec 604e Re-cone or not?

I've got a pair of very nice 604Es that I've got built into an open baffle that's a take on the Pure Audios. I'm using a combination of Werner Jagusch crossovers for the 604 and bi-amping in the Pure Audio/Eminence Alpha OB for the helper woofer below. I have the helper coming in at around 150...
  11. friendlyvolc

Line Output Converter with Fisher 500c

OK Braintrust: Let me know if this will work: I've got a Fisher 500c which has 2 sets of speaker outputs. I've got an Altec 604e that will be driven from Speaker 1. I'd like to drive a helper sub (Pure Audio/Eminence Neo15 Driver) from another amp. (I just built an open baffle for them) I...
  12. friendlyvolc

Altec N-1600-D Crossover question

Hey All Hostboard is down, so this is probably the best place to ask this. Just got a pair of nicely clean Altec 605b drivers. There were also some busted crossovers where the knucklehead who pulled them from the cabinet used a screwdriver and didn't unscrew the retaining nut instead. Doh...
  13. friendlyvolc

HK Citation 1 RF Noise in Phono Section

OK, this is meant to be informative for me and maybe helpful too. Forgive the long-winded pre-amble. I have a fully re-capped HK Citation 1. I'm running into McIntosh Mc60s on the HF and MC250 on the LF bi-amping a pair of Altec A7s (Emilar HF drivers and 416a 16ohm). In Phono 1, using a...
  14. friendlyvolc

McIntosh Audio Mixer MM-4 type b-106

Does anyone have any information on this mixer? I saw one today (not for sale) at my local high-end vintage audio dealer. It’s a mono unit with a single phone channel and three mic channels. It has Triad input transformers. Any ideas as to build-year and rarity? I noticed that the Mac logo...
  15. friendlyvolc

JBL Active Crossover Questions

I'm posting this here because it's so speaker oriented. I just picked up a JBL M553 active crossover (from the 80's I believe). It's a 24 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley. Here's the instructions: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/M553%20Owners%20Manual.pdf I'm using it to bi-amp my Altec A7s...
  16. friendlyvolc

Dual Bi-Amp and Single Amp setup

Can anyone advise me on the best way to go about this? I have some Altec A7-500s with 803a LF and Emilar EA175 HF drivers. All 16ohm. Right now I'm bi-amping using an Ashley crossover. I'm going to renovate them and I'd like the ability to either bi-amp them or run them via a single amp. If...
  17. friendlyvolc

Okki Nokki Sticky?

Hello All... I have an Okki Nokki RCM of recent vintage with the plastic suction arm (as opposed to the original metal one). I really like the way it works and it's definitely better than my ancient VPI 16 or my Record Doctor Nitty Gritty clone. The one thing that is driving me crazy is how...
  18. friendlyvolc

Bozak symphony N105 Crossover Schematic

I just picked up a pretty nice set of Symphony's in Moorish cabinets, build date 1/68. I'm looking for a N105 schematic in advance of recapping job. I've seen all the others but can't find the N105. Fan anyone point me to one? And is there a Tobin mod for the Symphony or is it really more for...
  19. friendlyvolc

Fisher 500c Relay?

(Note: I posted this first on Tube Audio, but thought this might be a better place...) We've done a full restore on my beautiful Fisher 500c, which sounds fantastic now and is pretty much minty fresh. The only issue we've run into is that the relay that controls the Stereo Beacon light was...
Back
Top Bottom