Search results

1. mobo_man

DLK/3 good or bad?

I rebuilt my Model 3's using Phillips tweeters and Pioneer A301R50-51F woofers and they sound great. The Pioneer woofers have been in there for 17 years and they still look and sound awesome. They're beefy woofers with 80-ounce magnets. I've attached a few pictures that I took today. Right now...
  2. mobo_man

ADC Accutrac 4000 - any opinions?

One of the social dilemmas when buying audio or radio stuff is, should you ask if the person or the previous owner was a smoker. The nicotine residue is hard to remove without damaging silk-screening, components, etc., and the smoke odor gets progressively worse as the equipment warms up. With...
  3. mobo_man

THIS is what the Pioneer PL-570 lamp looks like in the Accutrac. It's not QUITE as bright as the OEM bulb, which was an Elevam NL-72. But the Pioneer bulb works!
  4. mobo_man

I've owned one of these tables since 1975 when I bought it. It still works perfectly but then I repair electronic equipment and I have performed maintenance, and replaced parts - one capacitor in the logic board, the tonearm drive belt, etc. I JUST replaced the neon light for the speed strobe...
  5. mobo_man

Neat P-68H - Platter Bearing

My idler wasn't that bad so I soaked it in Rubber Soft for 10-12 hours, and then removed the edge roughness and a tiny flat spot using my Unimat lathe. The wheel is supple now and the TT sounds great. Three of the four speeds were quiet in rotation but 33 was a little noisy. I found a buildup of...
  6. mobo_man

Hypothetical. . Rega RP6 vs. Technics SL-1210MK2 vs. Marantz TT-15S1

Dave: Is that cool all-wood turntable on your Facebook page a brand name or homemade ?
  7. mobo_man

I bought some rubber soft, and it did a good job of softening the idler, which actually DID work well before, despite some dry-rotting. The problem is that even if you find a NOS idler online, the price asked will be equal or greater than the refurbishment price, and so far I've had no luck on...
  8. mobo_man

After much research, and buying a NOS idler wheel that looked like a good candidate from the pictures, I've come to the conclusion that it's better to send off your old wheel to one of those idler wheel refurbishing companies. The hole needs to be 13/64", and the diameter around 2.25" new, but...
  9. mobo_man

Can anyone ID my grandfathers turntable? The photo was taken in 1962 +/- 2 years.

The tonearm rest post is a giveaway for the NEAT or Channel Master TT's. It has a leaf switch inside the base. As soon as you lift the tonearm, the TT motivates.
  10. mobo_man

Yeah, I just tried it and it works great. I saved mine as an optimized PDF once I downloaded it, which straightened the pages out a bit. I can't attach it here because the site says it's too large.
  11. mobo_man

Can anyone ID my grandfathers turntable? The photo was taken in 1962 +/- 2 years.

The TT looks an awful lot like my Channel Master 6653 / NEAT P-68H that I inherited from my Dad. He bought it in the mid-50's. 1950's, LOL. But mine still works great.
  12. mobo_man

Based on the dimensions, it looks like a GC Walsco 1438 or 1441 idler wheel will work with the P-68H. They might be hard to find, though. Does everyone need this attachment? https://www.surplussales.com/Equipment/pdf/idler-wheels-cross-reference_PDF.pdf It's an idler wheel index by dimensions.
  13. mobo_man

And it's OFF! Bernz-O-Matic to the rescue! Now to find an idler wheel that will work with this table. Wet wipes got off over 60 years of accumulated grime with ease. The idler wheel is approx 2.18 in (55.3 mm) in diameter, and the shaft is 1/2 in. The center hole is 5mm or 0.2 in. It's...
  14. mobo_man

Rats! I've tried heating the platter near the spindle with a micro-torch as it spins in the hopes that the expansion of the aluminum/magnesium/whatever platter would be faster than the steel spindle. No joy so far. I really want to get into that area to the idler wheel, etc. I'll keep trying.
  15. mobo_man

From the pictures, it appears that the platter itself is just a wedge-fit onto the spindle. IS THAT TRUE?
  16. mobo_man

No, that's a Garrard SL-95B International Series in the "Chairside Plinth". It's in really good condition, I just need to add some more 300K silicone grease to the cueing lever piston.
  17. mobo_man

I have a bunch of "turntables". None are on par with a classic, like an Empire Troubadour, but my Accutrac 4000 probably beats a belt drive in terms of wow & flutter, and my Dual 1219 rocks. I have 5 headshells for it, and a bunch of different cartridges, including a JVC 4MD-20X with a real...
  18. mobo_man

One thing that has always annoyed me about the NEAT P-68H is the lack of a dust cover. The strobe area really gets filled with dust and debris. After years of keeping the TT in an enclosure like a stereo center, I decided to buy a custom made acrylic dust cover. This particular TT has been in...
  19. mobo_man

Eico HF-81 Restoration

I used Brasso on the front of my HF-81 and it did a great job. My problem is that the knobs keep leaching that white oil or whatever it is through. I've pulled and cleaned them a couple times.
  20. mobo_man

Old channel master T.T.

Here are some pics of mine. I'm now trying to find a dust cover from an existing TT that will work on mine. It would need to be 17.125 to 17.150" inside x 13.5" deep x 4 to 5 inches high. I can have one made for $139, but I'd rather try to find something in the pool of existing covers that will...
  21. mobo_man

DIYing an 'EICO 615' Adaptor

VERY NICE workmanship. Yours looks factory issue. You're right, these things are easy to make. I made one using a 4"x4"x2" grey plastic Carlon junction box. The original sells for $100 or more on eBay, although I must admit I have about $50 in parts in mine. Full details, plus the 615 adapter...
  22. mobo_man

What TT's do you folks have

Channel Master was a top TV & Audio name back then! We had the same rotator system, plus a Channel Master 6653 turntable, with the big, long plastic tonearm. It was actually a rebranded NEAT P68H, made in Japan. According to the manual, the tonearm pivots were "frictionless". I wonder how they...
  23. mobo_man

Old channel master T.T.

Big Bill - sorry, the TT was 306 miles away at my family home, and with kids in school, I never had time to get back into vinyl until now. (empty-nester) The 6653 is in my club room now and working very well. If anyone is still interested in pictures, I have lots now, including the underside.
  24. mobo_man

Aiwa AD-F640 back to life, anyone else like Aiwa tape decks?

I have an AD-WX909 that does the same thing (the Play deck appears to be "stuck" in play, even when you're just using the Record deck). Mine has done that since it was new. The green arrow is "on" all the time. But my WX909 works perfectly, so I think that's normal. If you operate the deck with...
  25. mobo_man

Used double cassette deck choices

Belt source for AIWA AD-WX909 and WX 808 decks Did you ever get belts for your AIWA WX909 dual deck? I just restored one I bought on eBay, and I found the exact belt sizes. They work great, and the deck is awesome-probably the most technically correct dubbing deck out there. I have a bunch of...
Back
Top Bottom