Search results

1. audiozaz

Zenith Allegro 3000 - the complete retrofit

I had some fun with the orange dome Foster horns from a set of Allegro's many years back. Made for a fair super-tweeter when messing around with various other drivers and enclosures.
  2. audiozaz

Anyone ever "dynoed" their amplifier?

I haven't done it on my 125W Yamahya and Kenwood amps, simply because I don't have loads that can take it. I've done it on small banks of non-inductive power resistors, with various low-powered tube amps, T-amps, chip-amps I built, most doing 3W-15W. az
  3. audiozaz

Who's rockin powered speakers ?

Sounds good and very similar to something I've been trying to brew in my head as of late. I was looking at various Tymphany and other brands midbass drivers around 5" that can do sealed f3<100Hz (few can...). I've never toyed with ribbons and would like to try one here as well. How does your...
  4. audiozaz

Suggested Reading List: Transmission Line

Everything you need is on there: http://www.quarter-wave.com/ This is the SOTA approach to modern TL design. az
  5. audiozaz

dumptruck is finally building ewaves for real

My last iteration on the QSC is symmetrical LR24 at 1250Hz. It seems to be working well enough on horizontal measurements, but I never did take verticals much. I never even considered attempting the "other axes". I have a real hard time getting gating to be below ~1500Hz and lifting/rotating...
  6. audiozaz

Help!Newbie needs music network streamer advice

Thanks for that link - awesome read! :thmbsp: az
  7. audiozaz

Uh-oh...Sudden problem with my Lepai!

The symptoms on my DTA-1 were very similar: interminent crackling and dropout/weakness on one channel. Initially, turning the VC about a few times would solve it, until it didn't no more. :) IMO it's worth trying a bit of your favourite control cleaner in that pot, if only to rule that out. az
  8. audiozaz

Yet Another Boombox Thread

Interesting. What's the story with the three midbass, are two of them doing '0.5' duty? The initial look at your drawing had me thinking it was a giant OB with an Altec Mantaray 604 up there over 18" woofers. :) az
  9. audiozaz

Help with box volume...

I'm not familiar with the EPI and Infinity drivers, but you might be off to a better start with these in any case. :) The way you described the cheap 6" woofer had an air of familiarity to me. A few weeks ago, I picked up some cheap thrift store boxes on account of the Richard Allan CG8T...
  10. audiozaz

Help with box volume...

As far as bass guitar drivers go, the Celestion TF1020 is a pretty darn good one; a decent mix of sensitivity, extension and flatness of response. I could probably implement it in a better design than what I did a couple of years back. It doesn't "woof" much, but is punchy within its range...
  11. audiozaz

Transmission Line Speakers, do you like them?

I'm surprised the following has yet to come up: http://www.quarter-wave.com/ FWIW, there are many flavours of TL, but MJK's work is the definitive approach to a modern version. He has basically optimized what had been built for years and merely called a "column" or "tower" speaker...
  12. audiozaz

Need help with driver selection for DIY speaker build.

I'm not certain I follow the part where you mention both horns and MTM + Morel tweeter. Will you be using 15" bass driver + a midbass and dome MTM, or dual 15" configured MTM around a horn? I'm not certain the second option does much of anything. I can see how two 15" could be setup as a...
  13. audiozaz

Uh-oh...Sudden problem with my Lepai!

Could it be the volume control? My Dayton DTA-1 did such a thing in less than one year. Some control cleaner took care of that. az
  14. audiozaz

Help with box volume...

I think you've nailed the intended use there IMO. :) Stuffing a sealed box can gain you ~25% in apparent Vb increase; more stuffing becomes dense enough that this will start to reduce the apparent Vb. az
  15. audiozaz

Getting into ICEpower

I've decided not to go with my DIY active analog crossover for the time being and keep using the miniDSP. With my amp's (and the ICEpower) gain and the fairly sensitive speakers, upstream or local volume control "throws away" bits and loses resolution on the DSP. How much this is audible is...
  16. audiozaz

A Yamaha stereo receiver for $150 ....

It can not be looked at as a 100W amp with high distortion. Most any regular hi-fi amp with 100W at 0.01% THD could in turn be spec'ed as 250W at 10% THD for example, by an over-eager marketing team. :) It would have been a more transparent move to just spec the power at a sub-1% THD figure...
  17. audiozaz

Getting into ICEpower

That'll be one more step towards modernizing (and DIY-zing) my setup as well. I like the idea of getting comparable if not better performance out of a more efficient technology. az
  18. audiozaz

Getting into ICEpower

Oh, I see, thanks! az
  19. audiozaz

Getting into ICEpower

Thanks for the comments! So the Rowland amp has the input direct to the ICEpower board, but you've since added a buffer? Assuming similar impedance profiles between the ASP and ASX2 boards, you went from a 1dB loss at 20kHz with the Rotel to 0.07dB with the Parasound. Compact and efficient...
  20. audiozaz

Help with box volume...

I'd hesitate to call anything under 12" a woofer. Heck, I'm using a 15" and call it a midbass more often than not. Just semantics here... ;) For this here unit, I'd go ~28L sealed minimum and use lots of stuffing. As for estimating the OB behavior, using the driver's mass-corner...
  21. audiozaz

Getting into ICEpower

Thanks for the impressions guys! einis - sounds like your setup and mine are in the same vein! The input impedance does have a significant drop up there at 20kHz, reaching down to ~6kohm. The fact that 6kohm is low is not so much a problem as the fact that it varies from 26kohm. Some people...
  22. audiozaz

The 90's Playlist

Do yourself a favour and do check out Mad Season! Live is great as well, a favourite of mine back in the days. Have you heard Mental Jewelry? It's a different sound compared to Throwing Copper. Slint - Spiderland az
  23. audiozaz

My speaker plan-what do you think ???

C'mon, searching for one takes more keystrokes than calculating! :tongue: 115/baffle-width for the terminally lazy. :D az
  24. audiozaz

The 90's Playlist

:thmbsp: Sample from last evening: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless DJ Shadow - Endtroducing az
Back
Top Bottom