Search results

1. A

Opinions please-Going from a Rotel RB1050 to a Nikko Alpha Amplifier

Hey guys I need your advice and opinion. I have a preamp that I love- an old NAD 1155, that I have currently paired with a Rotel RB-1050. I like this amp but I wish it had more balls, a weightier bass and a punchier midrange. There's something about that amp that doesn't make me tap my...
  2. A

Why does my SAE 2200 power amp sound so bad?

By the way does anyone else have this SAE 2200 and how do they like the sound? I've always heard of SAE, GAS etc... as having "American muscle" like a beefy sound. So far the japanese stuff I have outshines it in every aspect. I would love to fall in love with this amp again.
  3. A

Ok so I called my local tech. He said the power caps can be replaced and the bias and DC offset can be reset and he can do it for me. I hope this helps. I was expecting way more thump from this amp. It was startling to me that 100wpc SAE would move less air than a 40watt cheap integrated.
  4. A

Ok here's a funny thing. I have a few receivers and integrateds lying around. I also have a NAD 1155 preamp hooked up to a SAE 2200 power amp. I know the NAD 1155 sounds good because have tried it with other amplifiers and it sounds great. Anyway, The SAE 2200 amp when hooked up to my NAD...
  5. A

Monitor Audio M2, Energy CB-20, used B&W 602, Carnival 2 $350 to spend advise please

thank you I really appreciate your input. I've read a lot of good things about Monitor Audio. I'm very tempted by some Monitor Audio M2s. From what I've read the M2s are a reissue or repackage of the original Monitor Audio B2s-the first generation of the Bronze BX2. I'm kind of torn...
  6. A

Monitor Audio M2, Energy CB-20, used B&W 602, Carnival 2 $350 to spend advise please

Hey guys I have about $350 to spend on a pair of bookshelf speakers. Ones that I'm thinking about are: Monitor Audio M2 (seems to be a remake of the old Bronze BR2) Energy CB-20 or maybe a used B&W 602 mk i (not s2 or s3) Others I'm thinking of - Mordaunt/Short Carnival 2 Energy RC-10...
  7. A

B&W 685, Tannoy, Epos 12.2, Monitor Audio RS1 good replacement for my Energy C-2?

Hey guys I need your input and advice. My set up is as follows: NAD 1155 preamp and Rotel RB-970 Amplifier. pair of Energy C-2 speakers The Energy C-2's have finally given up the ghost. I played some hip hop too loud and blew the woofers. Reglued the woofers but they keep getting...
  8. A

Where can I buy Tannoys online? Why are Tannoys so hard to find?

I would really like to buy a pair of Tannoy Mercury M4 Customs and I can't seem to find anywhere other than Audiophile Liquidator that lists them online. Do you guys know where I can get some? I'm in California. Thank you. I don't know why Tannoy is so "hard to find". It seems like they...
  9. A

Recommend a cool sub $200 used speaker- ADS, Mirage, Mission, ESS, etc..

EASTYJAZ34- Sorry I meant sub as in under LOL. thedelihaus- I've had these Energy C-2's for a long time. I bought them used though and on one of the speakers, the woofer on one always had problems- when I got them, the glue had separated the speaker from the rubber surrounds. I took them...
  10. A

Cmon dude Polk PSW10s. That's a sub. I hate subs. I don't run 5.1. I'm just talking about a 2 channel system, kinda vintage. I want something that doesn't sound bright. Polk's and Klipsch's are notoriously bright. No metal dome tweeters and no horn tweeters. That's why I mentioned...
  11. A

Hey guys I have been running some Energy C-2 bookshelf speakers for a long time and the woofer finally blew tonight. I had them repaired once but it blew again so my gut is telling me to get some new speakers. I'm not in love with these speakers and rather than pay anyone to repair them, I'd...
  12. A

Recommend some good sub $100 RCA interconnects besides Monster to connect pre to amp

Hey guys- I'm using a monster rca cable to connect my preamp and poweramp. Is there any cable out there that is good that you'd recommend that would improve my sound? I mean my cable cost probably like 15 bucks. Is there any good cable for under $100 that I could check out that will make...
  13. A

Rotel Integrated or Rotel Amp with NAD preamp?

Ok I just wanted to post my results. I got a chance to AB both setups at home. The Rotel RA-980BX(100wpc) sounds brash and harsh on the highs and a bit thin on bass. I was really bummed because I wanted to like this one very much. physically, the layout is beautiful, simple and clean. I was...
  14. A

Thanks for the response- I used to own the NAD 1155 and actually have listened to the NAD 1155 preamp with the Rotel RB970 power amp and it sounded pretty good. But I feel that it was kind of bright on the top end. The Rotel RA980BX integrated does have bass and treble but it doesn't...
  15. A

Anyone have any opinions on Rotel Integrated amps?
  16. A

Hey guys- There are two systems I'm looking at. I know the best thing is to listen to them in the store and I will do so, but you know how things sound different a bit when you get them home. Which system do you think would sound better? A Rotel RA-980BX (100 wpc) integrated amp...
  17. A

Which is better Quadraflex 510T or Technics SL-3200

Does anyone have experience with Quadraflex turntables?
  18. A

Which is better Quadraflex 510T or Technics SL-3200

Hey guys- My shop has a couple of decks. I need a new turntable for home use. My local shop has a Quadraflex 510T and the Technics SL-3200. Both are similarly priced and both in like new condition. I know the Quadraflex is belt drive and the Technics SL-3200 is direct drive. Do you...
  19. A

Hum from both speakers with volume turned down. Any ideas?

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. To simplify further, Yes I tried unplugging everything so it's just the Power amp hooked up to some speakers now. The Rotel has a 2 prong cord. I tried plugging that directly into the wall, no power strip involved, same results. I turn the power...
  20. A

It's definitely not loud but it's there if I put my head close to the speakers. Put it this way- it's loud enough to piss me off. - Especially when my brother has an old Onkyo receiver with a $50 pair of old Sony speakers and it is dead nuts silent when on and the volume is turned all the way...
  21. A

Right on thanks for the replies you guys. :) I'll try this out tonight.
  22. A

Everything is plugged into a basic white $10 powerstrip that goes directly into the wall.
  23. A

Hey guys I'd really appreciate your help on this one. My setup is a basic 2 channel system- Energy C-2 speakers NAD 1155 Preamp Rotel RB970 Amplifier For testing purposes, no sources are being used or even plugged into the preamp. I get a faint hum from both speakers when the volume...
  24. A

I Need help deciding between two amps at my local shop

OK guys I need some of your input. My dream amp is a Nakamichi PA-5 but at around $500-$800, there is no way I can afford that. So my local shop has a Rotel RB-970X and a Sumo Polaris (the original not the II or the III) I know the Rotel is 60wpc and the Sumo is 100wpc. I will be using...
  25. A

Is the Sumo Polaris original really hard to fix? Should I steer clear or not worry?

So I've read various things about the Sumo Polaris amplifier and apparently there as the original a Sumo Polaris II and a Sumo Polaris III. There's a shop with a beautiful Sumo Polaris (original not the II or III) and I'm wondering if I should stay away from it because I've heard that if I...
Back
Top Bottom