Search results

1. schmikka

Magnavox Capacitor Question

Quick question - in the common Magnavox 5900 and 5700 series tuner/preamps, is this 4uf capacitor polarized?
  2. schmikka

Craziest Thing You’ve Found in a Stereo Console

I’ve run across a lot of different things inside old consoles, from hair clips to family photos to dead mice, but today inside a KLH Twenty-Five console just below the amp was the attached image. Good thing there wasn’t a well placed spark under there! What’s the weirdest thing you’ve run across?
  3. schmikka

Receiver ID

Sorry this blurry photo is all there is to go on, but can anyone ID the model of this receiver? My first thought was an early 70s Sansui or Sherwood, but the buttons and knobs don't seem to line up.
  4. schmikka

RCA 400 Projector Amp

Greetings! I recently picked up a really nice RCA 400 16mm projector (the Senior model version MI-1305 with a separate full range speaker). The projector works great, but the amp needs a rebuild. I’ve been studying the schematic and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help with a few...
  5. schmikka

Magnavox Tuner/Preamp Rebuild Question

Quick question. I replaced the electrolytic coupling caps and some resistors in a Magnavox console preamp and for the second time doing this with a console preamp a problem has arisen. The first time I was at a loss and just gave up. This time I realized it was after I replaced the can capacitor...
  6. schmikka

Miracord 46 Tonearm Drop/Cueing Lever Fix

Thought I’d share some photos/info in the event they could be helpful for anyone looking to deal with a tonearm that drops like a rock because the viscosity (or existence) of grease/fluid changed on their Miracord 46. Picked up some 500000 differential fluid on line, cleaned out the old grease...
  7. schmikka

Denon DRA-635R

I’d read good things about this receiver here on AK so when one popped nearby very cheaply I was eager give it a shot. To say it didn’t disappoint is an understatement. I’d wanted to find something decent with a remote to use with our TV because my wife is never really happy with my volume...
  8. schmikka

Sony STR-6120 Repair / Rebuild

I have had a couple of Sony STR-6120 receivers in the past, each with issues, each of which I was ill-prepared to tackle at the time. I love the 6060 however, and have remained fascinated by what the properly functioning “John Lennon receiver” would sound like. Maybe it was seeing The Dakota for...
  9. schmikka

6500 Bros

I picked up a Sansui QRX-6500 quad receiver over the weekend and have been putting it through it's paces since Deoxiting. Highly impressed. Probably two dozen solid state Sansui receivers of the 69-77 era have passed through my hands, and this is the nicest sounding and nicest looking of the...
  10. schmikka

Magnavox Console - fingers crossed - Concert Grand?

I purchased this over the phone with fingers crossed. Concert Grand? What say you? I have an Imperial that has similar styling but is not as tall so I'm hoping. Will find out tomorrow when I pick it up...
  11. schmikka

SX-1250

Check out the bidding for this non-functioning Pioneer SX-1250. There is supporting the mission and there is SUPPORTING THE MISSION! Wow... https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51146784
  12. schmikka

Marantz SLT-12U - Destination TT for me

I spotted this legendary linear tracking Marantz SLT-12U in a craigslist furniture ad for a vintage credenza and read as much as I could about it before picking it up. Many posts suggested it is exceptionally finicky, dependent on perfect leveling, and doesn't sound that great even if properly...
  13. schmikka

Definitive BP8 Recap Revelation

I've had a set of Definitive BP8s in what is basically the third string system in the house for about a year. To this point their claim to fame (and the reason they'd stuck around, unlike countless other speakers I'd tried in that slot) was that they had the least midrange deficiency of all the...
  14. schmikka

Cap help

Hey all - I am working on recapping a Magnavox 8102 amp for an Imperial console, and I was going to replace this with a polarized cap of the same type that I'm using to replace the individual can capacitors, but I thought I better ask on this particular component. I tried testing it repeatedly...
  15. schmikka

Help me Upgrade my ADS L1090/2s

Hello folks - I have a really nice set of A/D/S L1090/s speakers that I'd like to recap and perhaps upgrade the resistors on. A few questions. Unfortunately I left the one crossover network on the washing machine during a particularly heavy load, resulting in it vibrating its way to the floor...
  16. schmikka

Sony STR-6060 and STR-6120 power switch

Just curious if anyone knows whether the 6060 and the 6120 use the same power switch. Thanks in advance!
  17. schmikka

Removing Paint From Sony Wood Case

Anyone have a recommendation for the best way/product to remove oil based paint from the this Sony STR-6120 case? No idea why it was painted, but there don't appear to be nicks or gouges in it so I'm hoping to to give myself the best chance possible to reveal/restore the original veneer. Thanks...
  18. schmikka

Meet the New Sonys! (1968 Style)

Love this shot! Love these early Sonys!
  19. schmikka

Potentiometer question - Sony 6060f volume pot

I have a Sony 6060f that has an issue with its volume and balance potentiometers, which basically work in harness with one another. Apparently someone used something they shouldn't have to clean those pots, so from what I understand they are shot as it. Since the receiver is in otherwise good...
  20. schmikka

Harman Kardon 430 Tone Board component ID

I picked up an HK 430 foolishly got impatient while trying to remove the tone board to clean the pots. In the process I didn't realize the board was grounded to the chassis from LP517 and I cracked a part that looks like the one in the photo from my other 430. I'm just learning to read...
  21. schmikka

At wit's end with a Magnavox 9303...

I've successfully rebuilt a number of Magnavox 9302 amps but I have a 9303 that I've gone through as thoroughly as I can think to, and I still am getting a pretty substantial imbalance in the output of the two channels. What troubleshooting I have done - made sure the speaker binding posts I...
  22. schmikka

Speaker ID request

These have no identifying label anywhere. Pretty hefty cabs. Anyone have a guess what they are? Thanks in advance...
  23. schmikka

Kenwood KR-7600. Holy cow.

This is a great receiver. It sounds unbelievably good with my Klipsch Quartets. Life-like midrange and deep, potent bass. Tuner & phono stage both outstanding. The build quality seems to rival anything I've taken apart to Deoxit. It is stunningly beautiful, especially with the wood case and LED...
  24. schmikka

BigVoyevoda = Marantz Master

Would like to give a long overdue public shout out (echoing smwilli) to BigVoyevoda. He single handedly brought peace to my audio world. :) He did an amazing job refurbishing 3 units for me - a gorgeous 2325 that sounded stunning after Noah's work; a 2230 that got Noah's top shelf treatment; and...
  25. schmikka

New to Me Klipsch KLF-20s - No HF

Hi - I recently picked up a set of KLF 20s and the guy I purchased them from said they'd been stored but assured me they worked without issues. Price was more than fair and he said he had nothing to test them with so I just took them. I thought when I first hooked them up there was sound through...
Back
Top Bottom