Search results

1. T

Best Objective Audio Magazine

I hope this isn't violating any of the forum rules to ask this question, but I'm looking for a different audio magazine to subscribe to, and I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions. I subscribed to The Absolute Sound for a year, but frankly I find it a little too subjective for my...
  2. T

Power Level Meter Scales

I'm thinking about building myself a speaker power level meter. Mainly just to watch the needles bounce in time with the music. I used to have a Mitsubishi M10 meter panel and I enjoyed the effect. Looking at the meter scales on most power amps, the scale is usually sort of logarithmic in that...
  3. T

micro-review: Turntable speed apps for iPhone

For no particular reason, I tried the two speed test apps for iPhone that I could find on the app store. These two don't require a test record with a 3.15kHz speed test tone (which is probably the better way to go). I used my Pro-ject Xtension 10 which uses the Speed Box DS to set and control...
  4. T

Audacity (windows) 24 bit record problem fixed

I just noticed that the latest versions of Audacity finally claim to have fixed the problem with not actually recording at 24 bits even though it appeared to be selected. "PortAudio doesn't support 24-bit recording on MME or Windows DirectSound, but from Audacity 2.0.4 onwards, current...
  5. T

Transformer turns ratio change?

I'm 'recalibrating' a bench top DMM that is many, many years old (a DANA 4200). Actually, recalibrating is not the correct term, since all I am doing is comparing the readings to a new meter with better accuracy specs. Before starting the calibration, I changed the electrolytic caps on the...
  6. T

What grease for a slide switch?

I've been cleaning and lubing the contacts on all of the switches in my Sound Technology 1700B distortion analyzer. But none of the lubes I have tried are working well. I started off using the Caig Faderlube spray, but it didn't work well. The switch needs to return from the depressed...
  7. T

Sound Technology 1700B switch cleaning

I have a Sound Technology 1700B that I purchased about a year ago. After a complete alignment, it is working pretty well, except that if I don't use it for a couple of months, the switches (mainly the group with Distortion, Set Level, dBm) gets very intermittent. It takes a lot of messing with...
  8. T

Headphone impedance and power

Not sure if this belongs here or in DIY, but I'll start here. I'm considering designing and building a headphone amp. A very capable headphone amp. Maybe even an over the top headphone amp. Actually, it will be a 'trial run' before I go after designing a power amplifier. My question is what...
  9. T

Nelson Pass F5 in Bridged Mode?

I've googled quite a bit on this and don't see a clear answer: Can the F5 design be bridged? It looks like from the schematic, that some sort of input phase inverter would be required. What else? Higher current from the power supply certainly... Has anyone done this? I know, 25 watts...
  10. T

Power Grid Frequency Change?

I just heard about this today, although maybe it has been discussed here and I missed it: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/24/ap/tech/main20074275.shtml The bottom line is that "they" are considering letting the frequency of the power grid have more long term drift than it does now...
  11. T

Aiwa XK-S9000 NIB ?!?

At some auction site I stumbled across :D An Aiwa XK-S9000 supposedly in the original, unopened box! I'd love to know the story behind that. Geeze, if you bought it, would you open the box? Terry
  12. T

Stand-Alone Music Server?

I am considering going to the music server approach rather than a bookshelf full of CDs. But I don't much care for the idea of a PC hosting the music. I only have one PC and it is in the room with my stereo. It is much too noisy to leave on while playing music. I only listen to music in one...
  13. T

Yamaha DVD-S1700: Wont read DVD-R

I have a Yamaha DVD-S1700 CD/DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD player that now won't read DVD-R discs that I burn. It is only about a year old and doesn't have that many hours on it. Recently I tried burning a DVD-Audio disc (Maxell DVD-R) and it stops after playing a few tracks. I burned another disc and...
  14. T

Capacitor "rebuilding"

I know this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying attention at the time and now I can't find the thread. Sorry for the repeat.... I have an old piece of test equipment (HP-141T spectrum analyzer) that I use for audio testing (tuners). It has a bad cap. One of those big...
  15. T

Questions on aligning my DA-C7

I have a Mitsubishi pre-amp/tuner that I am trying to align. I have a signal generator and the service manual. The service manual sucks. It is very skimpy with information, but that might be a good thing since what information is there is mostly wrong....:scratch2: Despite the manual, I...
  16. T

Cassette head alignment suggestions

I think I know what I'm doing, but usually when I think that, I don't have a clue.:D So I am asking for advice... I have an Aiwa AD-M700 deck that I am "restoring" It seems to be in pretty good shape after new belts and a new drive roller. The pinch roller is original, and still in great...
  17. T

High Freq loss but no head wear ?

I picked up an Awai AD-M700 that was pretty dirty and needed new belts. I cleaned it up, replaced the belts and a drive roller. The heads were really filthy, covered with the brown oxide stuff, but it cleaned up after scrubbing a bit with q-tips soaked in alchohol. The heads look great now...
  18. T

Intermittent Distortion from my Yamaha S1700

This is weird... I have been burning DVD-Audio discs at 24/96 and playing them in my Yamaha S1700. They are either needle drops or high-res downloads. I use DVD-Audio Solo from Cirlinca to do the burning. For the most part, the results are excellent. But every now and then, I will be...
  19. T

Little Dot LD1+ Circuit Modifications

Disclaimer: This is not a tube or op-amp rolling thread. Quite the opposite. If you are a tube person, you will not want to do the mods talked about here. Well maybe the Vbe multiplier bypass mod, but certainly not the tube removal. Yes, I said tube removal. I'm not opposed to tubes in...
  20. T

Software for 24bit 96kHz needledrops?

Starting a new thread for this after the hijack (sorry) of retro dude's thread. I'd like to record needle drops at 24 bits, 96 kHz. I then will burn them to DVD-Audio discs. This way I can enjoy my albums with little loss of fidelity while keeping the vinyl in pristine condition. I have...
  21. T

Audio distribution switch

I'm looking for something I thought would be easy to find, but after looking around a bit, maybe it is a bit unusal... I need to be able to switch the line level output of my pre-amp to three different amplifiers. I want to switch it to a couple of power amps as well as a headphone amp. And I...
  22. T

Headphone Amp for AKG K701s?

Wow! Great timing on this forum. I just recently decided to get a decent set of cans. I bought the AKG K701s. They seem like they will be good headphones, but I don't think the headphone output of my Mitsubishi DA-C7 pre-amp is up to driving them at their best. The output was intended to...
  23. T

Recording 24/96 onto DVD?

I'm new to all of this file type stuff, so I have some pretty basic questions: I'd like to purchase high resolution (24/96) file downloads and burn them onto a DVD to play on my Yamaha (DVD-1700) CD/SACD/DVD-A player. The Yamaha says (well ok, the manual says) that it will play: MP3, WMA...
  24. T

Measuring cassette PB freq response

The Aiwa AD-M700 I am working on has pots to set the L&R playback flatness. The service manual says to use the test tape and set the 1kHz and 10kHz responses the same (+/- 0.5 dB). The trouble is of course, that I don't have the test tape. I finally came up with three test tapes from Sony: A...
  25. T

flexible retainer washer question

I posted this question in DIY, but maybe it is a more cassette deck specific question.... I lost one of the tiny flexible retainer washers for the take up hub assembly on my Aiwa cassette deck. It is a very small washer that stretches over the shaft that holds the takeup reel hub assembly...
Back
Top Bottom