Search results

1. Layoutpad

The Amazing Blue Leesonic NAD 3020/4020 Combo

Recently purchased these restored gems from Leesonic. (see description below). They are on top of the mac stack in the the photo and hold their own against some pretty stiff competition IMHO. Wasn't prepared for how dynamic and full 20WPC can sound. The sound stage is spot on and clearly defined...
  2. Layoutpad

Onkyo TX-2500...Surprised by how good this "little" receiver is

Purchased this "little" gem from Ak'er ChicagoTom a few weeks back (for $135.00 shipped), because I had one back in college. Forgot how good this receiver is. It will need to be re-capped at some point, because she's all original inside, but wow, she sounds pretty impressive. I just did a...
  3. Layoutpad

New 2245 score

Purchased this gem from AK'er welcomdmat a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share how amazed I am with the sound. Owned and listened to a lot of Marantz gear, (2230, 2240, 2250, 2250b, 2270, 2285b, 2325, 4230, 4240, 4270, 4300 & a 250 / 3300 pairing ) The 250/3300 are my favorites (paired with...
  4. Layoutpad

2250B power switch replacement question. (snubber cap)

Need to replace the power switch on my 2250B. The non-original switch I'm replacing has a red and orange wire sottered to the back leads. (no snubber cap) The new switch I ordered comes with a snubber cap. Is it a good idea to install the snubber cap to the new switch? Or will it screw things...
  5. Layoutpad

Advice needed: Marantz 2250 Tuner re-string (from scratch)

Howdy friends- Recently purchased a fully re-capped Marantz 2250B that took a hard hit in shipping, but needed mostly minor repairs to put her right, (and luckily had most of the parts on hand.) Lower RH faceplate bent, power switch was loose, light box completely busted (all tabs), 1/2 the...
  6. Layoutpad

Crites upgrade Forte II...$$$ well spent

Just intalled B&K Sound upgrades (x-Overs & titanium tweeters) in my Forte II's and it was money extremely well spent. Always thought they were nice speakers and have enjoyed them over the past few years.... However, with custom upgraded B&K X-over network and the TI tweeter they are much more...
  7. Layoutpad

Sony STR-V7 rises from the grave (almost)

Bought this about a year ago. About the only thing that was honestly described by the seller were the cosmetics. (Which are excellent.) :tears: She was basically DOA with bad sotter joints, a dead tuna, DC offset off the charts, and bad caps that were barely sufficient to put out any sound. As...
  8. Layoutpad

Is this too Much Hi-fi for one bedroom?

Happy new year everyone! Spent the time off over Christmas break building racks and consolidating some of the ever growing collection of restored orphan stereos (and adopted) into a new expanded listening area in the master BR. (and wanted to share the finished project with y'all.) It took a...
  9. Layoutpad

Latest score...Rogers JR149

The HiFi hoarding continues... Scored these matching serial number Rogers JR149 speakers from my friend Jon. He let me take 'em home and "play with them" for a few weeks and all I can say is...these little guys are wonderful. I can see what all the fuss about Rogers is about. They don't put...
  10. Layoutpad

2 Year HPM-1500 project finally finished!

:banana::banana: Bought these HPM-1500's on CL two years ago for $325.00. The cabinets & drivers were in mint shape, but they had a tatty, poorly done grill re-skin (missing the badges of course) in non-OEM cloth and re-coned woofers. The woofers were well done on HPM-frames with a robust...
  11. Layoutpad

Unusual Onkyo Model 20 Speakers score

Found these on CL for $50.00 today. Onkyo Model 20's rated at 50W (8Ohms). Not much out there on these, but they are beautifully made and weigh a ton for their size. Cleaned up the the dull cabs with some Old English (will sand and refinish at a later date) and they cleaned up nice. The...
  12. Layoutpad

Strangebrand and Sansui Handles

I Highly recommend Byron as a seller. He sold me two sets of superb Sansui rack handles. They were nicer than I was expecting and communication/follow-up/packing were all top-notch. And I received them 4 days after they were paid for. A+++++. Thank you!:thmbsp:
  13. Layoutpad

New (to me) Dynaco ST-70 w/the "Sir Byrd" Passive Pre-amp

Just picked this beauty up last weekend from a local audio pal. She was totally redone by Chris Keller of A'gon fame. Paired up with passive pre-amp constructed by AK legend (or future legend in my book) "Sir Byrd":banana::banana: She sounds wonderful, but I'm waiting on some bucking...
  14. Layoutpad

The Nikko(s) are in the house-Alpha/Beta II

Purchased theses beauties from fellow "AK'er" guscjr not too long ago. Back from complete re-cap/restore/repair and bodged previous repair attempts on amp boards corrected. They are a sweet pair and my introduction to vintage Nikko.:banana::banana: Many thanks to Gus and my good (and extremely...
  15. Layoutpad

Calling all Sony experts: STR-V7 Main Display ~ White or Green?

Just acquired this nice specimen from A'goner MaxZ28 and noticed the bright white am/fm display. Most of the reference pictures I've seen show green but a few show white like mine. Do any Sony experts have any information as to which is correct or perhaps they were produced both ways? Any...
  16. Layoutpad

Thanks Doug! (DC720)

Got the infinity RS-1000's and like all the speakers with the DC Labs touch, they sound great. You are a master at making tired speakers sound great again.:thmbsp:
  17. Layoutpad

Sir Byrd Passive Pre-amp

The Byrd has landed and sounds as beautiful as it looks. A true work of art Will. Here it is singing with a vintage Sony 3200F until the Parasound gets back from repairs..... Thank you! My expectations have been exceeded:banana...
  18. Layoutpad

2250 back from the spa (and out of the dumpster)

This (formerly) unfortunate little gal was 2 steps ahead of the dumpster. She was about to be tossed out but fortunately my friend Jon heard about it and grabbed her for me. I cleaned up the faceplate, repaired the cracked bezel and replaced all the lights (and the brown vellum, of course)...
  19. Layoutpad

New (to me) Marantz 4400

Picked this "little beauty" up from a friend locally for $700.00 w/nice cherry repro case. She has the "blue" scope which works great (didn't show up in long exposure pics) The pre-amp board has been re-capped and an LED conversion has been done. I will have the rest of the her re-capped and...
  20. Layoutpad

The Ugliest Marantz 4270 I ever saw

:tears: Look what this idiot on Fleabay did to this poor Marantz 4270. They are trying to get $500.00 for this so-called "work of art". Breaks my heart to even look it. Some people should not be allowed near vintage equipment. So sad.:tears...
  21. Layoutpad

Newly restored Pioneer SX-9930

After a year in the sickbay (my laundry room shelf)...finally the SX-9930 emerges repaired. Bought her on Fleabay for $99.00 last August. Super clean inside and out but had weak main caps and a few leaky little ones. She sounds wonderful and I dig the groovy euro-blackface vibe. Think I'll...
  22. Layoutpad

New Restored Pioneer SA9500II/TX9500II

The latest kids to join the collection. The tuner is incredible (IMHO) and pulls in my favorite classical station in near CD quality. Can't wait to give it all a good critical listen on the HPM-1500's this weekend. Should be a slice of Pioneer heaven:music...
  23. Layoutpad

New Yamaha CR-3020 and HK 930. Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy!

Just picked these beauties up locally for $750.00 for the pair. The Yamaha is one huge beast! It makes the CR-2020 look compact. She has the sweet Yamaha sound the CR-1020/2020's have spoiled my ears with, only with more bite on the low-end and a slightly mellower quality on the high end...
  24. Layoutpad

Harman/Kardon 730 and 430...what a a great sound

Scored a HK730 and HK430 at a stereo sale at Rocky's annual get together in Arlington, TX yesterday. ($150.00 for the pair...and yes, I'm sure better deals have been found) After a thorough cleaning and inspection, the 730 sounds almost spot on and has much more punch and power than the...
  25. Layoutpad

Restored Marantz 22300-A revelation in sound

Restored Marantz 2230-A revelation in sound Just received a completely restored Marantz 2230 from cdkands (A real artist with vintage gear and an outstanding website which shows his work in incredible detail.) I have quite a bit of vintage gear, but was completely unprepared for the...
Back
Top Bottom