Search results

1. Radfordman

Wheeler Dealers

I bought my 1961 Mini around 1967, had to clean the points in the SU fuel pump, and as precaution I put new brushes in the dynamo and starter. Car still with me, everything works, it's doing better than me!.
  2. Radfordman

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

Thought I'd check my Quad 405-2, it's extremely good. Left = 0.6mV, Right = 0.7 mV
  3. Radfordman

Dirty little eBay trick

Yes, they can be incredibly helpful.
  4. Radfordman

Rogers Studio 1: My CL High Power Project Begins

That pair of Studio 1's went fairy cheap, weren't far from me either! My friend has a pair of 8" RA drivers that have cast chassis and Bextrenne cones, they do look very much like LS3/6 bass units. He uses them in his Export Monitors. Not sure if RA still exist. I suspect not.
  5. Radfordman

Yes, I wondered why he did not show the other bass drive unit. The bass unit in the Rogers Studio Monitor (LS3/6) has a cast chassis and a Bextrene cone, I thought that was made by Richard Allan. http://www.worksofdesign.com/rogers-ls36-bbc-studio-monitor-speakers-c-1968/
  6. Radfordman

The reason I asked was that I saw these on ebay; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rogers-Studio-1-Vintage-Main-Stereo-Speakers/143164835943 I had thought of trying LS7 bass units in my Export Monitors, probably would need some crossover changes.
  7. Radfordman

Anyone know what the result was looking at the different bass units?
  8. Radfordman

Rogers BBC Studio Monitor Find - Help

I'm not familiar with the D3020, but looked it up, one can use it just as a pre-amp? I know the original 3020, I have a couple of 3130's they're pretty good, I also have three Proton 520's, which are similar to the 3020e. I don't think I've come across anything Pioneer that is rubbish, I have a...
  9. Radfordman

No problem, enjoy the music. I'm pretty sure that we've communicated in the past about speakers on this forum. Just out of interest, what amplifier are you using? My speakers run all day, and some of the night too, so I'm not using a tube amplifier although I have several, a Quad 303 is...
  10. Radfordman

Glad to be of help. I have not increased the thickness of the bass unit wiring, it looks a bit thin, but suspect that its about 5A rating, should be fine. I have seen very thick wire used in speakers, so thick and heavy that it strains the unit terminals which were not designed for this.
  11. Radfordman

Here is the mod, 39 Ohm resistors may not be easily available, I just had some, the nearest standard value to them should do. 2[/ATTACH]
  12. Radfordman

I have edited my previous post, worth a look again. The speaker is still a highish impedance system, compared with say, 4 Ohm or 6 Ohm speakers, so copper conductors can be thinner. I have not changed the internal wiring, I do not consider it necessary. In fact connecting thick wires to both...
  13. Radfordman

Actually, the basic crossover circuit is quite simple, apart from the large autotransformer, it's pretty similar to the Spendor BC1 crossover. The slight modification that I have done would be very easy to implement. A recap should not be necessary, all capacitors are non electrolytic and will...
  14. Radfordman

We don't know if the sensitivity of the Dalesford is the same, or different to the original unit. I suspect that it is similar. However, one could try different tappings on the autotransformer for the feed to the HF1300. Mine seems about right with the tapping that was set for the original bass...
  15. Radfordman

They look good, same as the ones I have. See how they perform with crossover as is. I have done a small crossover mod. The reason for this is that the original drivers had a stated nominal impedance of 15 Ohms, the Dalesfords are 8 Ohm, although I suspect that the original drivers may be...
  16. Radfordman

Excellent, I'll be interested to know what you think.
  17. Radfordman

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

Quad 405-2, in fact a Quad 405 bought new by me in 1976 and upgraded using Quad conversion kit around 1987. Right 0.7 mV Left 0.6 mV I'm quite impressed.
  18. Radfordman

IMF owners thread!

The 4001K is the 8 Ohm unit
  19. Radfordman

IMF owners thread!

You will need to find out which Coles 4001 is required, the 8 Ohm version, or the so called 16 Ohm version. I say so called, because it's DC resistance is 23 Ohms.
  20. Radfordman

IMF owners thread!

The woofer seems too have a black nose as well! Looks like the units and cabinets are in good condition, a great start. Get the crossovers right and a pair of Coles 4001's and you should have some lovely speakers.
  21. Radfordman

New arrival...Dual 1019

I bought a second hand 1019 about 35 years ago, It worked perfectly. and was so quiet I thought it might be a belt drive, but no, of course it's an idler. At that time I thought it quieter than my Thorens TD124 Mk2. I have not tried the 1019 for years, but I expect that it's still OK. It came...
  22. Radfordman

Here is the modification to the crossover. My logic for doing the mod is that original LS3/6 bass units had a higher impedance than 8 Ohm nominal. Therefore, to use 8 Ohm nominal bass units, the series inductors would have to be reduced in value. As this would need modifying, or replacing them...
  23. Radfordman

I did a small mod to the LS3/6 crossover to give slightly more midrange, when I find it, will post the details. I can't look now, but hopefully, in about 6 hours.
Back
Top Bottom