Search results

1. bystander

Power light out on my MC2300 amp

The power light is suddenly out on my MC2300 amp. Power is on, light is out. Meter lights are fine. What’s involved with changing the power light? Can someone point me to “bonehead” level of step-by-step instructions or a video showing me how?
  2. bystander

Swapping out push/spring terminals for barrier/screw terminals

I don’t like the push/spring terminals found in units such as the MA-6100 and MA-6200. I much prefer the barrier/screw terminals found in such units as the MA-5100. Is it possible to swap out push/spring terminals for barrier/screw terminals? Would a qualified tech such as Audio Classics be...
  3. bystander

ML-1C grill cloth question

I just scored a nice pair of ML-1C speakers. They do not have sequential serial numbers, but they’re pretty close (L4A579, L4A590). The grill cloth behind the slats is different in each speaker. One has black grill cloth. The other has grill cloth that appears as dark brown, but on closer...
  4. bystander

C32 dead, how to remove fuse?

I run a C32 preamp with two MC2300 power amps in my main system. Recently, a low level hum developed, followed by a series of loud pops, prompting me to leap out of my chair and shut everything down. Suspecting one of the power amps to be the culprit, I swapped out both amps, but when I went...
  5. bystander

Klipsch RP-600M amp recommendation

I’m helping a friend put together a first-time system. He is leaning towards a pair of RP-600M speakers. I haven’t heard them myself, but as a long-time Klipsch Heritage user and fan, I like what I’m reading about the company today and these speakers in particular. I need help recommending an...
  6. bystander

K-401 horn available?

I have a pair of 1986 Industrial La Scalas with the metal K-400 horn. I am interested in swapping them out for the composite K-401 horn. Does anyone know if the K-401 is available for purchase from Klipsch? I've emailed them twice with no response.
  7. bystander

Neil + Jerry + MC2300

Bill Graham Memorial Concert, Golden Gate Park, Nov. 3, 1991:
  8. bystander

Risk/benefit of running amp or receiver with nothing connected

Is there any risk of running a vintage solid state amp or receiver with no speakers or inputs connected? In other words, just running juice through the unit with the lights on for an extended period of time with nothing connected. On the other hand, is there any benefit in doing so?
  9. bystander

Field Report from McIntosh Labs & Audio Classics

Just finished a wonderful trip through the Northeast and New England, which included stops at McIntosh Labs (Binghamton NY) and Audio Classics (Vestal NY). At McIntosh Labs, we got a tour of the factory floor where they still build everything from start to finish right here in the USA...
  10. bystander

Klipsch Industrial La Scala with blown(?) mid

I have a pair of Klipsch Industrial La Scalas from 1980 with sequential serial numbers. These have type AL crossovers and K-55M mids. All of a sudden, I'm getting no sound from the midrange in one of them. I have ruled out any problem with the source. I checked the connections from the mid...
  11. bystander

Does L50 = L70?

The L50 cabinet is for 3-5/8 slimline models 502, 504, etc. The L70 cabinet is for 3-5/8 slimline models 710, 712, etc. Anyone know if these cabinets are interchangeable, i.e. would a slimline 5 series fit into an L70, or a slimline 7 series fit into an L50? Thanks in advance.
  12. bystander

sub for vintage Klipsch, how about Velodyne?

I am a lifelong Klipsch heritage user. I currently have a pair of Belles in the family room. Strictly two-channel, driven by vintage McIntosh solid state. Lately I've been curious about the bass I may be missing out on. Any opinions on mixing in a Velodyne sub with vintage Klipsch? I'm...
  13. bystander

Bezel repair, or removal?

Many of the late 70s Mac models had a plastic bezel on the outside of the glass face surrounding either meters (MC 2125, 2205, etc.) or radio dial (MR 78, 80, etc.). They are black plastic with a thin silver-colored edging on the front. The silver edging often becomes chipped or worn or...
  14. bystander

Pitting as precursor to rust?

My MC 2100 is clean and rust-free, but the back top edge of the chrome has an ever-so slightly rough feel to the touch. Nothing visible to the eye though. Is this the dreaded "pitting" that is referred to in many descriptions of Mac chrome? Is pitting an early sign of oncoming rust? What...
  15. bystander

Pioneer PL 61 anti-skating question

I have a Pioneer PL 61 and the anti-skating feature works fine... at least for now, and I want to keep it that way. I understand that once the anti-skating goes bad, it is most likely unrepairable. My question is, what causes it to go bad in the first place, and what can be done to prevent it?
  16. bystander

Technics SL M3 questions

- Is there a grounding wire? mine doesn't seem to have one. - Is there a way to set the tracking force? or is that not needed on a linear tracker? - What p-mount cartridge do you recommend? thanks in advance.
  17. bystander

Do you run a subwoofer with your La Scalas or Belles?

If so, what do you use and why? Am considering doing the same, thanks in advance.
  18. bystander

What was the first generation of Klipsch subwoofers?

From what I could tell from the Klipsch site, it is the SW series - SW10, SW12, SW15 - produced from 1993 to 94. How do these early models stack up against the later models? I am a fan of the Klipsch Heritage line and am considering supplementing my system with a sub, and would prefer to...
  19. bystander

Vintage McIntosh vs. Pioneer Spec

Anyone have experience with both? Brand bias aside, how would you compare the two? Given the years of production, probably lines up as follows: Preamp: Mac C32 vs. Spec 1 Amp: Mac MC2120/2125 or 2200/2205 vs. Spec 2 or 4 (posting this on both the mac and pioneer sites)
  20. bystander

C28, limiting sound output?

I have a C26, MX113 and a C28. I've been swapping and comparing each one. For some reason, with the gain settings on the power amp remaining constant, I need to turn the volume on the C28 way up to match the volume output of the C26 and MX113. Not just a little, I mean WAY up. Any...
  21. bystander

Banana Plug adapters from hong kong...

There are a lot of ebay dealers from Hong Kong selling gold banana plug adapters for speaker terminals on Mac and other vintage hi-fi gear. I'd like the convenience of banana plugs on my old Mac amps. 1) Has anyone hear actually tried these, and if so your thoughts? 2) Why doesnt someone...
  22. bystander

Connecting C28 to power amp...

The C28 preamp as two sets of main outputs labeled left, center, right. It also has one set of line outputs labeled left, right. Which outputs (two channel, I only need left and right) should I use to connect to the power amp? Or does it make any difference? thanks in advance...
  23. bystander

Opinions on MC 7270 amp?

I am familiar with the older "2---" series SS models such as 2200, 2205, and 2300. Curious if anyone has experience and opinions on later "7---" series and in particular the 7270 model? How does the 7270 compare to these older models? thanks a lot...
  24. bystander

VERY basic questions about bridging to mono...

I have some VERY basic questions about how bridging an amp to mono works. I'd like to try it with my MC 2200 and 2205 amps, which are identical amps except for the meters added to the 2205. They each run at approx. 200 watts/channel. Will bridging each amp to mono essentially double the...
  25. bystander

Gain settings on amp

I run a 2205 amp with a 32 preamp. Let's talk about amp gain settings. If minimum setting can be described as 7 oclock (all the way to the left), and maximum setting as 5 oclock (all the way to the right), is there an optimum setting? I've always run at about a 1 oclock setting (just past...
Back
Top Bottom