Search results

1. T

Single Ended EL153 amp build

Hi I’m trying to revisit my EL153 SET amp. It is using One Electron UBT-3 3k/4-8-16 ohms. At the DIYAUDIO site a master recommended using EF80 and drive the EL153 at 600V. The thing is he recommended Output device at 10k load. How is your configured at the output? Terence
  2. T

Which to choose? Hitachi HCA/HMA-8300 or Kenwood Basic C2/M2A?

Old topic I know this is. I'm in the same place as Arkay. I have several pieces from Hitachi/ Lo-D including their preamps HCA-8500 and HCA-7500, and amps HMA-8500, HMA-9500 I, also one bad HMA-8300. Just yesterday I got a relatively expensive 8300 at US$400 a 100V unit imported from Japan by...
  3. T

AU 111 - Is it worth it?

Me too and I am trying to get one. Terence
  4. T

Sansui SC 5100 Cassette Deck Owner's

Like the SC-5300, whose lead-in button is located on the mechanism row, the SC-5100's lead in button is supposed to give a one-time action to roll the tape past the lead-in band of the tape, making it ready to play without having to wait. I have both them, and 3 dozens other decks. Fab decks...
  5. T

Pioneer PL-L1000 or Yamaha PX-3

I don't hv a Tammie TT but I do hv Pio PL-L1000 and PLL1000A. I'll name one major difference that sets the Pio apart from all other tangential TT: its tonearm moves by magnetic force generated by a field coil bar beneath the tonearm base so that the movement of TT is practically noiseless...
  6. T

Best Vintage Speaker Kickoff!

I feel sorry for yr experience in the Katrina. But congrats on u making it so well today. Yr loss of the L-300 is easy to get re-done. Get 4320 (<$1500), add one 2405/077 (<$150@) to each of the pair, and add a 24dB/Octave (best option slope, coz it is 360 degrees out-phased, = 0 degree) xover...
  7. T

Nakamichi CA-5All or Yamaha C2A Pre Amp

I have the CA5 II and the C2A, and the CA7 just as well. They all are unrestored. Sound-wise, the CA7 is the most transparent, followed by a sweeter CA5 II, and the lucid C2A. The CA5 II is most competitive in playing LP's as it has incredible capacitance adjustments for Phono. The CA2 also has...
  8. T

Pioneer HPM-60s or CS-G911s?

Sure, I have two paris of HPM40, both the early brown woofer and the later white woofer versions, which are the same as the HPM60's. They sound fine, with a treble tilt upwards around 9kHz, and the bass wanes off after 100Hz, resulting in lack of deep bass. Without a subwoofer set-up, its 10"...
  9. T

Best Vintage Preamp

Does this Lafayette excell McIntosh C11 and C20? Perhaps ARC SP-3? CJ PV-1 and PV-8? I have these and others but not the Lafayette yet. Terence
  10. T

Stacked speakers and you....

All configurations of my speakers' rotating setups are based on 4 stacked JBL 4320 woofers farthest and tweeters closest, and a vintage Pioneer D-23 active 4-way xover, each xover section with 7 freq points and 4 slopes (off, 6-dB, 12dB, and 24dB), and L/R gain controls. The worse sounding...
  11. T

Vintage Nikko power amplifier suggestions

ivandezande, haha I'm sure you got better by now. Otherwise, read more from me! Anyway, I cannot agree with u on replying to a so-called dead thread a bad practice for the sole reason of freedom of speech, esp when the internet provides a ready base of "permanent" storage of knowledge and info...
  12. T

Vintage Nikko power amplifier suggestions

If u still hv the Beta 1, hang on. Don't sell it yet even if u find it not the best. You will find it uses the most uncommon.metal can transistors for amp'ing. Thus perhaps why it sounds good to begin with. And yet, give it an upgrade on the PSU, esp the 2 main ripple caps (100ufd at 160V) and...
  13. T

Another set of AR3 speakers leaving the US

I have the AR3a and the AR5. All equally btwn them except impedance, cab walls and woofers, interestingly, I find the smaller AR5 sounds much much better
  14. T

AR4ax Vintage Speakers...Thoughts?

The (big) Advent Speaker sounds better the AR4(a)x coz it has 10" woofers. Both are two-way, but the Advent sounds clearer at the top end coz its so-nicknamed "fried egg" tweeter was engineered to be more efficient than the woofer.
  15. T

Coral X-V 2-way Mg-Cu cone speakers ....... anyone?

For US$700 I am buying a pair of these in near pristine condition from Japan, shipping included. While Coral was a well-regarded audio manufacturer back in the day, I am little aware about their more modern models. There is some info on the audio heritage web page...
  16. T

Nikko Alpha 1 & Beta 1

I just got a Beta 1 in very good condition for not a lot of money on that auction site. Before that, I have had their Beta 20 and Beta 600. The 600 was an "all opamp" preamp with lots and lots of Mitsubishi opamps of that straight 8-pin form, and although its tone control is very innovative and...
  17. T

Pioneer HPM-40 woofer identification

Right now I'm using this in my bedroom. I just found the.later doped grey cone hpm40 cannot.fit on the early one. In the meantime, I'm looking around. BTW, now I understand why some ppl say hpm100 is like having 'loudness' on all the time. The Hpm40 is similar tone wise.
  18. T

All right. I got them today. I pulled one woofer out. It says Radio Shack on the back of the woofer. Yikessssss! That auction site! Now I'm thinking abt what to do with them. I am buying another later hpm40 pair. Yikessssss! Terence
  19. T

Taylor Swift Pulls Her Entire Catalog From Spotify

Nor did I imply mutual preclusion. What hint in my language did u note that said so?
  20. T

hjames, haha yea but I just had to
  21. T

Elekit TU-8200 kit impressions?

I like the sound from the original tu8200 with el34 or its supplied 6L6. Certainly there was room for improvement. I replaced its output transformer with a bigger one and it started to offer better lower midrange and upper basd (100 to 1kHz). The output transformers took me abt.100 bux so it...
  22. T

Believe it or not, I only started this year 2019 to really listen to her 2010 DVD/CD of Speak Now Tour, and I find her music encouraging in a way where she has the talent of turning descriptives and feelings into, I believe, music. And that is incredibly artistic in itself coz it requires...
  23. T

Sansui Speakers

24. T

ok here it is dammit!
  25. T

Dammit Dammit I couldnt upload that pic dunno why.:oops:
Back
Top Bottom