Search results

1. S

Old Cassette Tapes.

We bought an older Jeep Wrangler a couple of years ago that came with a factory cassette player. Worst vehicle on the planet for a sound system, but I upgraded the speakers, patched in an Alpine amp, added a subwoofer, then dug out some of my old cassettes. They sounded pretty good, nothing...
  2. S

Sony TC-K615S with a mind of its own

I’m not sure if your issue could be control related, but I just fixed my Sony’s weirdness by removing the IR receiver per other thread recommendations. It was doing things that I didn’t think could be related to IR noise.
  3. S

Luxman r-115 volume troubles

This may be the wrong path since your symptoms are different. But I thought my R115 had a volume control issue, it drop on both or one channel, I'd have to spike the volume to bring it back, got worse over time... However, I switched it to preamp duty and it worked fine. It wasn't until I wanted...
  4. S

Some Empire Turntable History

That table certainly does evoke images of Darth Vader! Very slick and retro at the same time, I like it!
  5. S

Sony TA-E77ESD Preamplifier Re-Cap - BOM and probably other questions...

Well, it's all back together and to my surprise, working perfectly! I spent a lot of time carefully routing the wiring as described in the excellent post on Agoraquest by David_S. I didn't reduce wiring length as he described, but did follow his power and audio signal wire routing layout. I...
  6. S

After 40+ years of owning turntables, I finally broke down and bought a digital tracking force scale. I had recently installed a Shure M75ED T2 on an eBay sled and set tracking force to 1.5 grams using the owner manual process. But just eye-balling half way between the 1 and 2 gram marks on a...
  7. S

Well played, I'm sure you'll love it!
  8. S

Interesting idea! I was considering building a foam box around the motor but don't want to create an oven that would result in an early demise.:idea:
  9. S

You could buy the table and just keep an eye out for a parted-out tonearm with a better finish, then swap it out. Owners like @Schmidlapper above who've upgraded their tonearm may be willing to part with the original.
  10. S

What does bother me is the motor whir or hum that you can hear next to the table when music isn't playing. I've replaced grommets and lubed and more recently tried replacing the capacitor. Nothing has made a significant improvement, I've read that it's mostly fan noise. The capacitor did seem to...
  11. S

I have a 598 III that also shows some corrosion on top of the tonearm pivot. It doesn't stand out in these photos, but it's more of a spotted, mottled appearance. Also, the coating wears off at the touch points, like the tonearm lift hook. I really don't think much about the imperfections. These...
  12. S

Does anyone have any suggestions on Op Amp upgrades? I'm not interested in the D/A function, so I'd only want to replace them in the analog circuit, but I only see one in the phono stage. Here's a dumb question - does this mean that the preamp amplification is all through discrete components...
  13. S

Thanks, Dan. I already straightened, twisted and soldered the snap-in terminals. The spacing of the tweaked terminals was just wide enough. I'll go with these, at least for the time being.
  14. S

Well, no input from the AK experts so far... I think I'll just pull the originals and see how hard it will be to adapt the snap-in's to the board. Based on what I've read, if I increase capacitance from 4700uF to 6800uF in order to get the right terminals, I risk tripping the protection...
  15. S

The smallest lug terminal I can find is a Nichicon LKG1J682MKN 6800uF 63v, 35x68. Should I go way up in capacitance to get the right terminals?
  16. S

So, I definitely have the feeling of "what did I get myself into..." with my second recap project. The number of boards and jumper wires really has me wondering if I'll ever get this puzzle back together. I do have lots of photos and I labelled everything, separate bags for groups of fasteners...
  17. S

Advent Heritage Resto-mod - has anyone tried this?

Yep, hope the flip does the trick! If not, I found these pretty easy to refoam and fresh-ish glue should dissolve with alcohol pretty well. Or just use alcohol of another type and the job will be less painful...
  18. S

Op Amp Swap in a CDP Question - OPA2134 for the stock NJM4580D

Very funny, had to show that to my kid!
  19. S

Interesting suggestion. My first reaction was, right, like those still exist. Then I Googled local clubs and wow, there's a lot of activity in my area. I missed the big annual swap meet but I'm sure there are others or maybe I can post on one of their sites. Thanks! BTW, I also searched Bill...
  20. S

Advent Heritage Resto-mod - has anyone tried this?

The speakers look great and apparently sound good too, congratulations! As far as the buzz, did you refoam the woofers? If not, check the foam surround for tears. Or you could have a dragging voice coil. If you gently push the speaker straight in, does it feel like something is rubbing? It looks...
  21. S

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I’ll add a used Tektronix to my shopping list. A quick C.L. check didn’t find any locally, HP and some others. May have to go to the Bay...
  22. S

Found this: The Hantek 6022BE is a USB-based, 2-channel oscilloscope with an analog bandwidth of 20MS/s and 48MS/s sampling rate. So it sounds fast enough, just need a capable operator ;)
  23. S

Great, thanks for checking!
  24. S

So, I just have a PC based scope, says it's capable of sampling 1 Mbyte/channel, whatever that equals. Even if it was capable, I'd be like a monkey with a handgun.
  25. S

From the OPA2134 datasheet: The OPA134 series operational amplifiers are unity-gain stable and provide excellent dynamic behavior over a wide range of load conditions, including high load capacitance... These devices operate up to 36-V supply rails and offer ultralow distortion and noise, as...
Back
Top Bottom