Search results

1. ke4mcl

ke4mcl

actually i believe none of the gear has been flipped. the masco sits at the planetarium shop stripped down waiting till i have time to rebuild it entirely, the two maggie mono blocks i rebuilt but one has a hum i haven't tracked down so they sit in my house. aside from those i think there was...
  2. ke4mcl

My new mono tube set up

SE 6v6? sweeeeet
  3. ke4mcl

What do i have here?

i think you have a Bigg Of California amp. good stuff. the c8 mcintosh preamp design was copied by several other manufacturers. your preamp seems to be one of those copies that were popular. i'd say you did really well.
  4. ke4mcl

Mono Tube Tuner/Preamp...Worth Restoring?

for background music or working around the house music a mono system is just fine. makes it much easier to find a nice matching vintage speaker. i'd refurb it but then again i seem to want to save every piece i get my hands on. i cool looking old tube setup playing jazz is always a...
  5. ke4mcl

When the Schematic Doesn't Match the Product?

i try to always go with a higher voltage than whats on the schem. line voltages are higher now than they were in the 50's and 60's.
  6. ke4mcl

ke4mcl

for whats its worth this experience has pretty much nixed most of my forum sales and i'm back to evilbay. going toward 200 feedback all 100% with several items closing at over $1k. my bad experience here is not the way i do business.
  7. ke4mcl

ke4mcl

in my defense i tried again to make it right again as i found it hard to believe all 16 tubes would be defective and my offer was turned down.
  8. ke4mcl

niko 501, what to expect?

i powered this guy upon the variac and one channel is out. it will sit in the "to do" pile til a later date. theres plenty to do inside it. lots of old caps.
  9. ke4mcl

Scott All-In-One with nudes

was expecting a slight laugh but ended up being surprised at what was in that all-in-one. good stuff in there.
  10. ke4mcl

solid electrolytic capacitors

when tempertantrums (tantulums) fail, its not a pretty sight. you can always go a little higher than spec on lytics and not hurt anything.
  11. ke4mcl

Anyone ever hear of 'claricon'?

claricon made mostly cheap stuff but apparently they made an attempt at a higher end stuff in a partnership with pearce simpson / gladding of marine radio fame. i have one of these claricon made gladding receivers and its really well built inside. on par with better pioneer stuff of the time...
  12. ke4mcl

Vintage Gear with issues but you do not care

denon DRM710 3 head cassette deck. playback audio seems to be suffering from an intermittent relay or switch. sometimes you need to cycle play/stop a few times in order to get audio out of both channels.
  13. ke4mcl

Do you get angry when people bash your system?

my stereo needs to please one person.. ME. if they don't like my gear it don't bother me one bit. now i'm not one to take a kick in the groin without a smartaleck response though. usually its something along the lines of "those old tube amps appreciate in value, does your bmw?"
  14. ke4mcl

went to a BOSE store....

this is true. i have a friends that are musicians and one is an accomplished opera singer. they tend to listen to the mechanics of the music versus grooving to the beat like most of us do. they will criticize how a guitar is strum or how a singer articulates their voice and aren't too concerned...
  15. ke4mcl

niko 501, what to expect?

so against one of my buddies wishes i bought this 501 on epay. he says its going to sound awful. i don't have high expectations from it but with such cool utilitarian looks i'm hoping its at least mid-fi once recapped. any other ak'ers have one of these odd receivers? what do you think of it?
  16. ke4mcl

went to a BOSE store....

bose gear is aimed at people that like to listen to music but have no clue how to operate a stereo or dont want to see the stereo. it serves its purpose but is way overpriced. i have set foot in the bose store here in miami and they were rather apprehensive towards folks that had real...
  17. ke4mcl

SAE T7, need a little help with it

well guess what? I FIXED IT! in the bottom left of the pic there's two little green caps. i decided to see what was on those and i found audio clear on both sides of one cap but only clear on the one side of the second cap. that was my culprit. replaced both caps and shes happy!
  18. ke4mcl

SAE T7, need a little help with it

i picked this guy up as broken to try repairing it. one channel has extremely low and distorted audio. i've traced the audio to a pair of what look like rf transformers. i'm stuck here and really need a schematic. anybody got one they can scan and email to me?
  19. ke4mcl

glenwcar can pack!

i got a cool fisher 160 receiver from him for a fair price and quite well packed. thanks!
  20. ke4mcl

geartech hooked it up

picked up a broken SAE tuner from him for cost of shipping. i'm looking forward to the learning experience of trying to save it!
  21. ke4mcl

What? Re-Capping Again?

due to my many years of "tube gear blowing up on me" experience, i now recap all my tube gear unless its already been done. the caps were never designed to last as long as they have. you're pushing your luck by leaving any old caps in there. the price of this work is very high due to the time...
  22. ke4mcl

Webster Rack Stereo System

that thing is very cool. like others said, probably a school PA system.
  23. ke4mcl

Don't laugh.........

you can find blank 8 tracks on ebay. those all in ones get no respect but the sad thing is most of us started our path into the audio hobby with one of those.
  24. ke4mcl

Sharp Equipment?

sharp had a highend line called optonica. aside from that it was all middle of the road gear. hold onto your pennies and keep hitting thrifts and fleamarkets. you'll get you're chance at some cool vintage stuff im sure. word of warning though... this can be an addicting hobby!
  25. ke4mcl

Pissed off neighbors stories?

my neighbors are cool. never had a complaint about the stereo even while blasting the big altecs with the doors open. the guy behind me though does come out when i crank up the power on the cb radio. he says it gets into his subwoofer and had him looking for the "guy in his house" a few times.:lmao:
Back
Top Bottom