Search results

1. eclectik

Tape deck Panasonic RS-765-US, any good?

If it works, why do you need to make adjustments? You will only make a mess of things or even make the deck unusable if you start twiddling without having the necessary experience or correct test gear. I would clean the tape path with alcohol, then try making a recording onto a good quality...
  2. eclectik

Revox B-215 issue

Was it working properly before you 'recapped' it? what caps did you change? Did any test bad?
  3. eclectik

Revox B-215 issue

The slow speed at end of tape in play is the pinch rollers. Replace them both and you will soon see what an effect this has. The intermittent motor is a bit more worrying. Ideally you'd need to check if the voltage disappears or drops across the motor, or whether it is present all the time but...
  4. eclectik

Exposed leader: a cautionary tale

It's a shame so many reel decks do not have proper motion sense circuitry that would prevent this from happening. I am amazed at the flawed design of otherwise very decent units - my Sony TC755A and TC766-2 just rely on tension arm position to shut the transport off. On more than one occasion...
  5. eclectik

Unknown tape recorder control unit

That looks like an amp which will take a tape head direct, hence the speed /EQ switch. The back looks like it has DIN sockets - presumably there are a couple of 2 pin ones for the speakers? and a Bulgin mains socket.
  6. eclectik

Revox B215

The inside of the 215, one of the best, most expensive and electronically sophisticated decks ever made, is no place to be if you don't know what you are doing, and is not a good place to start learning. Blanket changing of caps is likely to introduce more trouble, as has been said. To stand a...
  7. eclectik

Revox B215

sounds like one of the switching ICs has gone belly up. Will it record? what happens if you feed sound to the line in?
  8. eclectik

3 Reel to Reel units (estate sale)

They're all single motor mechanical transports but have three heads, so you will easily be able to shift them to anyone interested in music making/sound on sound /echo experiments etc. I'd grab them if the price is right!
  9. eclectik

Dug Up Some Old TT's Today: Opinions?

Some nice mid market decks there. Nothing out of this world but respectable. The Dual, Pioneer PL510 and Technics D2 in that order. Don't bother with the Pioneer PL7.
  10. eclectik

Audio cassette problem

Copy onto PC or fresh tape as soon as possible. You can try cleaning the damaged section with a tissue moistened with isopropyl alcohol. Thee may be a lump or trace of grease inside the shell or somewhere along the tape path, you may want to investigate that to prevent grease being continually...
  11. eclectik

small form factor cassette deck?

I love my Technics rs1w Probably the smallest frontload dual well deck. Both decks have soft touch controls, also dolby, rec level is auto on dub and has a preset at the rear for use in normal recording mode. Amorphous head, great sound for a unit of this type.
  12. eclectik

Aiwa l22 sd-l22u

The reason why the controls spring up is probably because there is no tape motion and the circuitry goes to auto stop. Usual cause is a broken or missing drive belt, in extreme cases a a seized motor. Open it up and check.
  13. eclectik

Fuses in cassette decks ?

The only way you're going to solve this is by being systematic. By all means clean the heads (use isopropyl alcohol and a q tip). But do the checks I detailed above, then post back.
  14. eclectik

Fuses in cassette decks ?

This sort of question comes up form time to time. The thing many people don't seem to realize is that fuses almost always fail for a reason. They are the symptom of a problem, not THE problem. It is not simply a case of changing them , but one must find the cause. Usually this is a short or...
  15. eclectik

two track tape

Some decks did in fact come with both 2 (half) and 4 (quarter) track stereo heads (My Sony TC766-2 does). However, in practise, unless you're dubbing some source tape that is really 'hi fi', you can get away with a quarter track setup for 2 track tapes. As has been said you may need to tweak...
  16. eclectik

Did something change with cassette production in 1982?

Where are you based? There is no location in your profile. The usefulness of the answers depends a great deal on this. In the UK, they started using chrome tape around 1980 and also hi speed digital duplication sources /loop bins began to appear with better frequency response. These greatly...
  17. eclectik

playing old tapes harmful to deck?

Apart from the abrasive old stuff mentioned before, the only scenario I can think of where tapes may harm equipment is if there is a sticky tape, or one joined with oozed sellotape, which grinds the deck to a halt and it does not shut off. That conceivably could damage/overheat the motor. More...
  18. eclectik

I found this Interesting - Note on Master Tape

That has nothing to do with tape defects but the fact the tracks are probably 'banded' with the standard 2 or 3 seconds for pressing to vinyl or CD.
  19. eclectik

Fix for warped reels?

First locate the section where the flanges warp (presumably inwards, rubbing the tape at that point.) Then insert a piece of rolled card between the flanges to bring them out to their correct location, or perhaps a bit wider. Uusally one side is warped. Apply heat locally to the area of the warp...
  20. eclectik

Pressings from the UK

I agree that the UK (and Western European) ones are thinner. However I find them far more durable. This is because they tend to be one sheet of thin card folded over and they're usually laminated. In comparison, I have always been disappointed by the US sleeves (At least, those from the 60s and...
  21. eclectik

cool stuff heard on tape

How about putting some of these up as sound files? The Russian guy and the steamy couple, for starters! :D I've been collecting these odd recordings since the mid 80s after stumbling on a tape left on an old reel to reel. There's one with a couple (Spanish) arguing about how often to 'get it...
  22. eclectik

Sony TC-K909ES Came Home With Me

On all the sonys of that era I've looked at over the last few years, the pinch rollers were hard and useless. Have you checked yours are still nice and springy?
  23. eclectik

what is the point of auctioning type 1 blanks?

karma, my friend...karma :music:
  24. eclectik

Why No New Quality Tape Decks?

With fairly complex electro mechanical devices like this, you have to be realistic. You must factor in that there are rubber parts that deteriorate if used or not, and every few years will need changing in order for the equipment to work reliably. Especially in view of the age now involved. So...
  25. eclectik

Binatone STEREOMATE MODEL 01-5024 Cassette Player

Check the belt that goes to the take up spool from the capstan, it has probably gone to goo. Should be a simple fix, but a messy job!
Back
Top Bottom