Search results

1. shnaggle

A review of the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers

How would these compare to ads L400, acoustic suspension about 30 years older than the Pioneers?
  2. shnaggle

Dynaco A25 mirror image pair

Trying them in both outside and in configurations: Outside: wider dispersion, imaging is still good inside: not as wide, imaging good Both configs work well.
  3. shnaggle

Dynaco A25 mirror image pair

Recently lucked upon a mirror image (tweeter) pair of A25's. Are the pairs meant to be configured with the tweeters leaning into each other or away from each other? Picture (not mine) of mirror-image tweeters away from each other:
  4. shnaggle

Heathkit AS-48 (JBL L-99 Lancers?)

Cutting the dustcap and shimming the coil -- for me, that's crossing the Rubicom.
  5. shnaggle

I gotta figure out how to refoam these. The original surrounds aren't really foam, more like a surround that's glued flat to the outer-most ring of the cone, so removing the old surround looks a bit tricky. The bass still sounds pretty darn good. More detailed/punchy/defined than my L100...
  6. shnaggle

Thanks. The surrounds are intact, but hard, not flexible. Is that normal, or need a refoam?
  7. shnaggle

Found a pair of these Heathkits, which I think are an off-branded JBL L-99 Lancers. Drivers are still working, thank goodness. But rear terminals are numbered "1" and "2" -- 1 is positive?
  8. shnaggle

The Bowers and Wilkins DM601 S3 - Price and Comparison

Resurrecting this old thread to ask (of anyone who might know): how the 601 S3's compare to today's "economy" bookshelves, like the Klipsch RM-600 II, Elac Debut, Sony CS5, etc.
  9. shnaggle

Ohm Model L woofer replacement

Ok, I'll try to do that, and hopefully I can get it repaired. Calling Ohm today, they say only the model H woofer is compatible with the L. So the 8" model E woofer I see on ebay for only $40plus ship I'll have to pass on. New replacement is $225 :( Turns out the high tweeter on the "good"...
  10. shnaggle

Ohm Model L woofer replacement

Picked up a pair of Model L's dirt cheap, though one speaker's woofer is frozen, and looks to need replacement. 8" woofer -- are other Ohm model 8" woofers compatible with the L?
  11. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

Decided to solder the bypass caps onto each large cap, just to see how it would work. Problem: very little room to work with, so the bypass leads are soldered onto opposite sides of the board, ie. one bypass lead soldered to main cap under the board, other bypass lead soldered to main cap lead...
  12. shnaggle

Sony portable D-50 and D-14 DACs

Thanks. Any limitations that this early DAC may have?
  13. shnaggle

Sony portable D-50 and D-14 DACs

Two in my collection: a red D-50 and a black D-14. Seem to be the same model, but different colors and model numbers. I don't think they were called "Discman" that early. What DACs did they use?
  14. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

Ended up selling those, and still regret it. I didn't try a recap for them, but I think also my choice of amp was all wrong -- a Marantz AV receiver. When I demoed the 730's to the buyer to the show the drivers all worked, I set them up with a Realistic STA old school type of receiver, and I...
  15. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

3.5 cm
  16. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

Success! Both speakers now finally recapped (main caps). Speaker B was a difficult project, because the main cap turned out to be epoxy'ed under the board (while Speaker A's cap wasn't). Heated it up with the hot-air gun from my kit, and gently pried with a small flat screwdriver while rocking...
  17. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

I was wondering if that kind of thing was possible, but then I tried bending the existing leads a little more, and was able to fit the cap under the board.
  18. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

Original woofers. Have been using an Onkyo integrated amp, but I also have a Yamaha Natural Sound power amp/Phase Linear pre-amp setup I can try out. Stands are from a pair of Energy Pro 22 speakers, pretty much the kind of dimensions you describe.
  19. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

I have one, but still can't remove the solder well enough with that or the braid. The lead is bent onto the board, rather than sticking straight up, and hard to tell exactly which "end" of the lead on the board is protruding from underneath or is the very end where I would have to pry it upwards...
  20. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

Ok, I managed to get a new main cap by twisting everything underneath the board (where it's supposed to be). Soldered it correctly, but didn't include the bypass cap, just to see how it worked/sounded. There is a notable difference between this speaker with the new main cap and the other speaker...
  21. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

Unfortunately, the leads on the main caps aren't long enough for that. Here's a pic of what I have set up for the main cap, before soldering. Does this look ok, or make the leads closer/further away from the board? Then I would solder the bypass cap leads to the exposed main cap leads? (and bend...
  22. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

n/t
  23. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

Just discovered the hard way what "radial" caps are and what they're used for; they're used for the kind of ads crossover board in question. The ones I ordered from parts express are not radial, but "both-ended", and are not ideal. So the cap leads will not fit in the board unless I install them...
  24. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

Ok, partially removed the crossover from the back. Tricky to remove. For the moment, have not removed the many driver cables from the crossover, so it's kind of dangling securely. The black 100V cap pictured is what needs to be removed?
  25. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

I've received the new caps. Before I open everything up -- which of the two woofers provides the crossover access, and do I need to remove the crossover from the cabinet (and unclip from all drivers) to do the job? Is there desoldering needed, or can I just snip off the old cap, keep enough old...
Back
Top Bottom