Search results

1. shnaggle

Dynaco A25 mirror image pair

Recently lucked upon a mirror image (tweeter) pair of A25's. Are the pairs meant to be configured with the tweeters leaning into each other or away from each other? Picture (not mine) of mirror-image tweeters away from each other:
  2. shnaggle

Heathkit AS-48 (JBL L-99 Lancers?)

Found a pair of these Heathkits, which I think are an off-branded JBL L-99 Lancers. Drivers are still working, thank goodness. But rear terminals are numbered "1" and "2" -- 1 is positive?
  3. shnaggle

Ohm Model L woofer replacement

Picked up a pair of Model L's dirt cheap, though one speaker's woofer is frozen, and looks to need replacement. 8" woofer -- are other Ohm model 8" woofers compatible with the L?
  4. shnaggle

Sony portable D-50 and D-14 DACs

Two in my collection: a red D-50 and a black D-14. Seem to be the same model, but different colors and model numbers. I don't think they were called "Discman" that early. What DACs did they use?
  5. shnaggle

ads L710 recap for bass?

I've read on various ads threads that the entire line has good caps and that they never really need a recap -- except for the one cap that handles bass. I'd like to "tighten up" the bass on my recently-acquired L710's -- what exactly is it on the crossover board that I need to switch out, and...
  6. shnaggle

KLH Model 6 capacitor problem?

Recapped a pair of KLH Model 6 (later model) earlier this year, and it seemed to work out alright, but kind of left them alone while dealing with other speakers. Tried them out again last week, and the tweeter in one seemed dead. But "fixed" when I reconnected a black ground wire which is wired...
  7. shnaggle

Repairing gaps in wood grills

Both my wooden KLH grill have gaps in them. Can these be repaired in some way?
  8. shnaggle

Refinishing walnut cabinets

My pair of ads l520's are in rough cosmetic shape. Walnut cabinets. Somewhere on these threads, people have said good things about Howard's Restore a Finish. Would I need to do some sanding here before using that?
  9. shnaggle

B&W DM603 S2?

For those who actually own a pair of these: are they good for all kinds of music -- hard rock, soft rock, jazz, classical, etc? Somewhat local seller has a pair for $500. No way I'm going pay that much for them, especially since he says they have cosmetic issues. But I do like my DM601 S3...
  10. shnaggle

Snell Type K/II?

There's a pair available nearby. Asking $200. If anyone knows, how are these? Hard to think they could replace my ads L520, but who knows...
  11. shnaggle

Energy Pro 22: Are the tweeters doomed to fail?

Currently rotated into my system are a pair of Energy Pro 22 speakers, with the original stands. I bought them a couple of years ago, and have only a few hours on them myself. All drivers are working correctly -- for now. But, surfing around, I read that the tweeters are ferro-fluid ones, and...
  12. shnaggle

Dynaco A-25's. How do they stack up against today's bookshelves?

Listening to a pair right now. Near-field config, bigger than I would normally like in this setup, but can't argue with how easy they are to listen to. I keep reading about how great today's Wharfdale Diamonds, Klipsch RP-500/600's, Kef Q's, Edifers, etc. are. That much an improvement than...
  13. shnaggle

ads L520 vs L710?

The L520's I have are quite good, with surprisingly deep, punchy and quick bass and very clear highs. Very efficient, too -- I don't need to pump up the volume on my modest Marantz AV receiver which powers them. Also image well. Mine are 6 ohms, metal grills version, from I think 1982. For...
  14. shnaggle

Dynaco A25 recap

A few different caps I'm finding available online: 1) Dayton 5.1uF 250V polypropylene on parts-express ($3.29/each) 2) Dayton 5.1uF 250V "precision audio" on parts-express ($5.38/each) 3) MPT 5.0uF 250V polypropylene on ebay ($3.99/pair) Just to be clear: the Dayton 5.1uF's are compatible with...
  15. shnaggle

KLH Model 6 vs New Large Advent (NLA)?

In the process of restoring a pair of Model 6’s, and wondering how they compare with the NLA’s. I had a pair of OLA’s, but the mid/upper ends of my newly-recapped 6’s don’t sound like what I remember the OLA’s sounded like (but then, those didn’t get a recap). A single NLA speaker I used as a...
  16. shnaggle

Shure M64 phono preamp -- left/right channels?

Because it's not made clear in the manual or on the unit itself: What's "left/right" on a unit where the RCA jacks are labeled "Channel 1" and "Channel 2"?
  17. shnaggle

Recapping ADS L730's to tighten bass?

Bass on these seems a bit boomy, despite some repositioning and using stands. I have read elsewhere on this forum that ADS speakers do not need recapping (and that, in fact, a whole recap can make the speakers sound worse), but that changing one cap on the crossover can tighten the bass...
  18. shnaggle

Attempting to find refoam kit for old Scan Speak woofers

For a pair of 1970's Ortofon 225 speakers with oddball woofer dimensions. Am I marking the correct spots to make the proper measurements? I think they are 10" woofers with an outer cone diameter of 185mm: Simply Speakers quickly said "no" they don't have anything for these woofers (they say...
  19. shnaggle

OLA recap materials list

Will be attempting my first ever speaker recap, but need a list of the correct capacitors for OLAs. Do resistors need to be replaced as well? Haven't tried to tackle this project yet, but it looks like I have do all the work while reaching into the cabinet after removing the woofer and the...
  20. shnaggle

Cleaning ADS tweeters

Lucked upon a pair of L520's this week. Rough cosmetic shape, but they sound as great as I hoped, and are already putting other speakers on the proposed "for sale" list. Tweeters concern me a bit. Lots of dust/debris on the sticky domes, plus a dented dome. I know it will destroy the tweeters...
  21. shnaggle

OLA woofers

Picked up a pair of utility cabinet OLA's today for only $25. But they have old Pyle woofers in them, not the original Advent woofers. Also, the Pyles both need refoaming. Not sure about the quality of Pyle speakers, but I'm guessing they're not up to Advent standards. And, unfortunately...
  22. shnaggle

Desoldering and recapping advice needed

Attempting my first recap ever -- the power supply board for a Marantz 2220B -- but am having difficulty desoldering the caps. Using both an old, large Solder Sucker and some desolder braid, the first cap just won't budge. Due to inexperience, I don't think I'm removing all the old solder, but...
  23. shnaggle

KLH Model 6 woofer resealing (early models)

My Model 6's are the early editions: non-removable grills and entombed capacitors. At least for the moment, I'll leave the recapping alone, because it looks like an impossible job. Resealing the woofers looks a little less impossible, though still ridiculous. The bass response is ok, and I'm...
  24. shnaggle

Realistic STA-2000 protection relay failure

Dug an old STA-2000 out of storage the other day. Sound kicked in fairly quickly and the unit sounded very good. Today -- protection relay buzzing for several seconds before it finally kicked in. Then, powering on-and-off many times for an hour's worth of testing increased the length of time for...
  25. shnaggle

Repairing cracked Infinity 8" IMG woofer cones

One of my Kappa 6.1 woofers has two cracks in its cone, each about 1.5" long. One of the cracks extends into the silicon surround and adjacent foam. So this crack is one long line from the cone through to the surround foam. I'm considering applying a paper bag "backpatch" for each crack...
Back
Top Bottom