Search results

1. Winters

Optonica RP-7100 phototransistor replacement

Good morning or whatever part of day you currently have, I have an Optonica RP-7100 turntable with a defective track detection phototransistor. How do I know it's bad? Well, I have two such record players and after swapping parts and some measurements I have found the problem to be the...
  2. Winters

2SC1406 equivalent needed (Technics SU-9070)

Hi, I am currently repairing a Technics SU-9070 preamplifier which has a dead channel in the MC preamplifier section. I have narrowed the problem down to the 2SC1406 (TR110) transistor (by switching it with the other channel). However, this part is almost unobtainable (there's one seller in...
  3. Winters

ARCAM A65 struck by a lightning.

Hello! I've got this Arcam A65 amplifier that stopped working when a lightning struck near the house. There was a quick power surge and this amp didn't make it. It was in standby mode when this happened, connected via a surge protector that obviously didn't work. The amp now stays in standby...
  4. Winters

Ceramic insulators for can capacitor replacement

Hello dear AKers, Watching the Mr Carlson's YouTube video on his restoration of a beautiful Harman Kardon Citation tube preamp, I noticed he has a very interesting approach to replacing those multicap can capacitors in old tube gear. He uses some kind of ceramic insulators which allow to use...
  5. Winters

Grado Cartridge ID on SME 3009 S2 Improved

Hello dear AKers, a fellow dropped in a Luxman PD-131 turntable with SME 3009 S2 tonearm and this strange vintage Grado cartridge for me to setup and clean the potentiometers. I can't find any info on this Grado cartridge. The body looks like the Prestige series but seems older and is blue in...
  6. Winters

1965 Garrard Model 50 - why is it so good?

Good day, everyone. About two months back I finished the complete restoration of a Garrard Model 50 record changer. This is not the first idler driven turntable I've restored. I also have a Lenco L70, an Elac Miracord 10H and a Dual 1009. I have worked on many other idler units - Lencos...
  7. Winters

The Fisher 800C Receiver - 220V version on the bench

Hello dear AKers! I was asked to look into a Fisher 800C receiver which is in great condition but needs some tender loving care as far as the innards are concerned. I'm probably one of the very few people that have experience working on these units in my country - my 500B works beautifully...
  8. Winters

Bang & Olufsen SP1 cart on an ELAC Miracord 10H... a smash hit!

I have three early Bang & Olufsen carts in my stash: two SP1s and one SP2 (same as SP1 but for a B&O tonearm). I had been using one of them in the past on various turntables with a generic replacement stylus that I THINK was made by Nagaoka. Sounded quite "special", very loud but with very weak...
  9. Winters

Bang & Olufsen MINI 610 tube radio - low volume, strange behavior

So while taking a break from my Fisher 500-B saga, I decided to dig this beautiful Danish tabletop out. Long story short, I purchased this radio a few years back, done some basic maintenance on it (new electrolytic caps, some new tubes, restrung the dial, replaced the selenium rectifier...
  10. Winters

500B recap attempt reveals problems...

As I mentioned in my recent thread about choosing the best location for the thermistor protection, I had decided it's high time to dig deeper in my 500B I purchased seven years ago, do a proper recap, add the IBAM and do several minor modifications, for instance modify the 'Tape Head' input to...
  11. Winters

Fisher 500B - time for a full-blown restoration

I purchased my 500B seven years ago. It was used on a daily basis ever since, never causing me much trouble (apart from one EH 7591 that died on me prematurely). I've never properly restored it, just done the basic stuff (silicon rectifier, 100 ohm screen resistors, 10 ohm cathode to ground...
  12. Winters

Restoring old laminated (European) LP covers

Anyone who is familiar with British-made records from the 1950s and 1960s knows that they are pretty sturdy and wear resistant except for two things: low quality laminate which often lifts, bubbles and looks awful, giving the whole thing a particularly unattractive look and non laminated backs...
  13. Winters

I was replacing the steuerpimpel on a Dual 1245 turntable when...

...I heard several small objects hit the floor, jump several times and roll somewhere. Several small (1mm?) balls fell from the tonearm bearings (?) Found three of them. Dunno how many there were. I guess my face turned to a whiter shade of pale while I imagined myself pulling the whole finicky...
  14. Winters

DUAL HS152 (TV445) amplifier - balance issue

Hello! I've taken on the task of repairing a DUAL TV445 amplifier which behaves in a strange manner. It's a part of the HS152 combo - basically a 1245 turntable with a Shure M95ED cart with an integrated 20wpc amp. The problem seems quite strange to me, as most of my experience is with vintage...
  15. Winters

A quick thermistor question (500B)

Hello, I would like to install the thermistor protection on my 500-B but the Amphenol CL-80 thermistor is absolutely unavailable in my part of the world. I don't know much about thermistors so I would be greatly thankful if someone could shed some light whether the following thermistors would...
  16. Winters

HOHNER Orgaphon 45MH (1965) guitar tube amp

Hello dear AKers, Several months ago I became the proud owner of a 1965 Hohner Orgaphon 45MH guitar amplifier. Well, not exactly a guitar amplifier as this is a universal amp than can be used with pretty much every electric instrument. This things weighs a ton and screams crazily sophisticated...
  17. Winters

Harman/Kardon 330B - burnt resistors, mismatched transistors and what else.

Hello, I am currently trying to repair a vintage Harman/Kardon 330b stereo receiver in which one channel died burning 100 ohm and 22 ohm resistors on the final stage circuit board. This is actually the first time I'm repairing solid state gear. I have serviced several vintage stereo and guitar...
  18. Winters

Yet another cartridge ID...

Hello folks, The pictured cart came into my possession together with a vintage Garrard Synchro-Lab SL 55. The only markings are on the top side: JB 07121 and it seems to me to be the serial number. The top is easily removable, giving access to the cart's innards. The body is plastic, the...
  19. Winters

Replacement stylus for ELAC STS-222 cartridge

I have one of those sought-after cartridges, I got it for a song with a Miracord 10 turntable. However, I seem to have no luck finding a good stylus for it. I have tried a "Pfanstiehl" (although I doubt it actually was a Pfanstiehl needle) replacement from the Voice of Music webstore and it was...
  20. Winters

ELAC Miracord 10/STS-222 cartridge skipping lead-in groove

Hello. I have recently restored/fixed a circa 1964 ELAC Miracord 10H. I got it cheap and it had the original, renowned STS-222 cart. I went through the whole mechanism, including the tonearm. Now, the problem is that with a tracking force higher than 2.5g (2.5-4.5g recommended) after...
  21. Winters

Revox model 40 phono hum

I am currently repairing a Revox Model 40 amp, made in Switzerland in the early 1960s. I have figured out most of the problems with the power amp section (see thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=620580 ) and I got it to work nicely using line inputs - good sound, absolutely...
  22. Winters

Revox Model 40 amp redplating

I am currently repairing a REVOX model 40 amplifier from the early 1960s. The unit uses 6GW8 (ECL86) tubes in push-pull configuration. Unfortunately someone with limited skills tried to mend this amp sometime ago, utilising several magic tricks like putting rolled toilet paper in every aperture...
  23. Winters

Preparing to replace 7591s in a 500-B with JJs.

After much thinking and deliberation I have decided to replace Electro-harmonix power tubes in my beloved 500-B with JJs. Mostly because of their price, their looks and of other reasons that shouldn't be discussed here. I have read many opinions on JJ 7591s and their application in a...
  24. Winters

One 7591 red plating on a 500B

Hello, I've been happily listening to my 500B for one and half a year without bigger problems. When I turned it on today it developed a strange hum in one channel after 3-4 minutes so I immediately got up to see what was going on and I noticed one 7591 tube (far right one) red plating. Turned...
  25. Winters

A different kind of score!

Long story short, after a couple of years spent pursuing the most notable records released in my country, someone dropped these off at one of the least frequented bookstores of my city. Perhaps you may think "wah, Polish records in Poland, nothing special". It's actually easier to get western...
Back
Top Bottom