Search results

1. Maron

Basic audiophile system - what's the minimum to call it "audiophile"?

I read somewhere recently, and I cant remember where, that the human ear can not distinguish distortion differences below .1%. The number may actually be even higher but I will have to see if I can find the article.
  2. Maron

Basic audiophile system - what's the minimum to call it "audiophile"?

What is wrong with toeing your speakers in? If you listen near field and it eliminates side wall interactions then that's what you need. What if it gives you the best image or your speakers have an off axis response that falls off the charts? What is excessive? 30 degrees, 45 degrees? If...
  3. Maron

NOS Citation II

Sold for $3451.05. I gave up after 2500.00, thought for sure it was going to go a lot higher than it did with a bunch of people trying to snipe in the final minute. But the winning bid was good for the last few hours I checked. It just wasn't worth it for me to spend anymore to just put it in a...
  4. Maron

NOS Citation II

You could get them as a kit or pre-assembled from the factory. It was like 100 bucks extra.
  5. Maron

NOS Citation II

I remember that. The guy wouldnt open the box and was selling a citation I as well. He got parts from the pre amp mixed in with his. This one looks like everything is there. I will let you know if I get it.:thmbsp:
  6. Maron

NOS Citation II

I was thinking about that. you could recover some of your money by selling the genalex. I think that is what makes this thinng so amazing, that those tubes are still with the amp. I would have to leave it as is. We may never see something like this again. It is a true time capsule.
  7. Maron

NOS Citation II

Anybody see this yet? Look like a NOS NIB Citation II on the bay. Never assembled, with the NOS Gold Lions it came with. Man I am tempted. I would end up using it to heat the dog house I would be living in though.:scratch2: No affiliation, just curious what you guys thought...
  8. Maron

Record Shops in Detroit area

Nice job Don!:thmbsp: The Best Buy in Roseville (13&Gratiot) has a whole aisle dedicated to new vinyl. All main stream stuff though, lots of remastered classic rock, the "back in black" line, no classical though. I cant remember if I have seen any jazz in there either.
  9. Maron

SMAC January 2011

10. Maron

new vs. old transformers

So why are people paying top dollar for CitationII's and then scavenging them for the trannies? Are they really that good, that they are sought after by some just for this purpose? Can't you get a comparable tranny for less? I mean some are going for close to a grand just for the opt.
  11. Maron

How he did this???

You can see the casting marks on it. Pretty simple to make once you have a good mold. In these rough times I bet you could have someone CNC you a mold for cheap. Pretty smart guy, I bet he is making a killing on them.
  12. Maron

Just popped a tube

LMAO, I glanced at the title real quick and read it as "Just pooped a tube". I started laughing and thought, I hope it wasn't 6550 coke bottle. Anyways, I think Grumpy had a similar problem the Golden Lions.
  13. Maron

Manley Price increase HUGE Feb 15th

You don't just wake up one morning and say holy crap, we haven't had a price increase across the board in ten years, we are no longer profitable. Not to mention that their CPA would have burst the vain in his forehead screaming at them about it. Something is afoot, guess we will have to wait and...
  14. Maron

Kimber?

I heard that as well. That they were discontinuing their caps.
  15. Maron

I'm assuming smoke is bad.

If you are going to have it worked on might as well go with Jim's level 2 power supply mod. It made a huge difference on mine. And like Pac said, put some tip jacks in there to so you can check your bias and ac with a volt meter. I would also replace the tube sockets if they haven't been changed...
  16. Maron

How important is AC balance?

Radio shack may have the resistirs. I got mine from Mouser, they are 25 watters housed in aluminum. Looks like Westy56 is using the same. As far as the test signal, on the back right side under the RCA input jack is the test signal RCA jack. You just connect that to the input of the side you are...
  17. Maron

How important is AC balance?

Your UPS guy is gonna hate you:D be careful when you get done and don't grab the resistors right away. They will be smokin hot!
  18. Maron

Help Tubing an HK Citation II

Congrats on a great amp pick up. The driver section is really sensitive to microphonic tubes. I tried five different pairs in my Deuce before Kegger hooked me up with some good RCA tubes.
  19. Maron

Awesome Duct Tape Surround

That's freaking funny! It sounds like the speaker is farting. :music:
  20. Maron

Who sells GOOD cans in South East Michigan?

Funny you mention this Dennis, I am looking for a pair also. I was at Harry's too, looking at the Classic, and didn't even think to ask him about the cans. Let me know if you find anything and vice versa. Grumpy, you are really scaring me with the Barry Manelow avatars.... lmao
  21. Maron

Black Friday Score: Realistic Mach 2

Nice score Wiggy!!!
  22. Maron

Why tube rectified?

I think for some people it may come down to personal preference, not to mention the circuit the the rectification is used in. For me personally, after having a few Macs on loan from friends, I will take my Deuce any day of the week along with its diode rectification. Now I would also be...
  23. Maron

Shuguang Treasure 300B-z

In the words of Frank from "Everybody Loves Raymond" ..... "HOLY CRAP" When I said fake I meant tubes of sub par quality being represented as meeting a higher standard.
  24. Maron

Tranny ping?

Every time I fire up my Citation i can hear faint pinging as it warms up. Is this normal, should I be worried?
  25. Maron

Shuguang Treasure 300B-z

If you do get them, be sure to get them from Grant. From what I have read only select retailers get the "treasure tube" and fakes are rampant on ebay.
Back
Top Bottom