Search results

1. Vaughn

Microscope + aquarium pump = turntable?

I'm starting another turntable build and thought I'd share the process with all my fellow audio nerds as I progress. I'm incorporating the Rek-O-Kut L-34 Jr. as the drive portion of the table and adding a few fancy bits. The baseplate is a 1" thick slab of Paperstone that I will build...
  2. Vaughn

Vaughn's Sonic Sanctuary

I'm a maker at heart and love applying this to the realm of audio reproduction. My main system consists of a direct coupled Morrison Micro 2A3 amp I built about 11 years ago driving a set of Lii Audio 15" full rangers. Speaker baffles are quilted maple and sapele over a thick 1" baltic birch...
  3. Vaughn

Energy Connoisseur C-4 I'm gobsmacked

During my lunch today I stood in the electronics aisle at Goodwill staring at these speakers. I knew I had absolutely no need for them, even at the paltry price of three twenty dollar bills. I loitered there a while, undecided. I'll tell you friends, if you ever find these please purchase them...
  4. Vaughn

Fostex FE 208EZ + ESS Heil AMT - a project is brewing

I picked up these Fostex FE 208EZ recently and have decided to undertake a project that I've been wanting to try for some time. I'd like to try a FAST implementation, which for the uninitiated (i.e. relatively sane) means a Full Range Assisted or Full Range with Subwoofer Technology depending on...
  5. Vaughn

Kef Concertos are surprising me

I picked these up at a thrift store and wasn't expecting much. I decided to rebuild the crossovers as the tweeters weren't working but tested good. I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised by these! An overall warm sound but with very good resolution and transparency. I'm driving them with...
  6. Vaughn

Accuphase E-202 with static/whistling

I just purchased this beauty here on BT and it looks like something might have gone amiss during shipment. There is no physical damage but when I turn the amp on there is some hum before the relay kicks in. When the relay does kick in there is a loud static/whistling sound when the selector is...
  7. Vaughn

New to Me Optonica RP-3636 and an anti-skating question

I've just purchased and Optonica RP-3636 that is missing the original anti-skating weight. Is there any universality to these weights or do I need the exact weight made for this tonearm? I've read in passing that the tonearm may have been sourced from Micro Seiki. This turntable has a heavy...
  8. Vaughn

Anyone recognize these bookshelf speakers? Peerless drivers...

I picked up these very well made (unmarked) bookshelf speakers the other day and am curious if anyone recognizes them. Peerless tweeter and woofer, very heavy for their size. All working and sounding great!
  9. Vaughn

Sony TA-5650 from rave0035

I just purchased a beautiful Sony TA-5650 from Mike and couldn't be happier. I couldn't ask for a better example of this amp. Thanks Mike!
  10. Vaughn

HE 400i's from cor0086

Just bought some HiFiMan headphones from Corey and everything went perfectly. Also, they sound fantastic!
  11. Vaughn

I joined the ESS club last night

12. Vaughn

Captouch helps me rebuild my 690's

Eric sold me some replacement pots for my NS-690's. He was great to deal with and even cleaned them before shipping (which was super fast). Highly recommended!
  13. Vaughn

Tnmike1

I wanted to put in a good word for tnmike1:) He sold me a pair of Westone UM3X earphones at a very reasonable price, shipped quickly and communicated well. Highly recommended (earphones and Mike!)
  14. Vaughn

Thanks for the O2 ChicagoTom!

Tom (ChicagoTom) sold me an O2 headphone amp and everything went perfectly!
  15. Vaughn

Indyhawg is great!

Bought a Dared preamplifier from indyhawg and everything went perfectly! I would definitely buy from Jeff again:thmbsp:
  16. Vaughn

Anyone recognize this horn?

I picked this up at work recently with thoughts of making some kind of art object out of it (more than it already is:)) I just wanted to make sure I wasn't using something that would be better off used for HiFi. Is this just a PA horn or something else? I can't see any identifying marks on it...
  17. Vaughn

KLH Model Fives join my desert island list

I just love these speakers:) With these and ADS 710's in the house I'm feeling quite spoiled. Currently driving them with a PP KT88 amp via Squeezebox/Emotiva DAC and listening to Beck's beautiful new album "Morning Phase". Could not be happier:D
  18. Vaughn

ADS L710's + tubes = bliss

This fairly humble setup might actually be a "desert island" rig for me. ADS L-710's powered by a Grant Fidelity A-348 (PP KT-88). It pulls off the very neat trick of having good resolution and yet I can listen for long periods without fatigue. I've heard some pretty expensive systems that can't...
  19. Vaughn

Webster 6550/KT88 amps

These looked like Allen amps to me and were in Leslie type cabinets being sold with an Allen organ. They appear to be very similar in construction to each other. Anyone here have any experience with these?
  20. Vaughn

Great Plains Audio - I'm not impressed

I know lots of people have had a good experience with them but mine has been to the contrary and I felt it my duty (a PSA if you will) to be the voice of dissent. I recently sent in a 414-8C for recone. I received a quote beforehand so I how much it would be. I sent in the driver and waited two...
  21. Vaughn

Snell B Minors, anyone familiar?

Just brought a pair of these monsters home. They might very well be the best speakers I've owned. MTM 5 1/4 mid woofers and side firing 12". Anyone else here have personal experience with these? I looked around but didn't find a lot of opinions, just specs.
  22. Vaughn

Technics SB-10 honeycomb diaphragms

This is the only set of Technics speakers I've ever purchased. Most are just too low grade to bother with. These are definitely high end speakers. Very heavy constuction, cast baskets, honeycomb flat diaphragms, isodynamic tweeter. I've just got them hooked up to MP-301 amp and my IPhone at the...
  23. Vaughn

Yamaha amp and large speakers too loud for my apartment

So the CL ad read. Very dark and low res cell phone pictures. The cabinets on the speakers were beat to death but the woofer barely visible in one photo appeared to be Altec. After several semi painful text exchanges over two days I went to take a look. Woofers did indeed appear to Altec as...
  24. Vaughn

ADS L710 with Polydax woofers

I found a pair of ADS L710's at the local thrift store for $20:) They had a tag on them that said the drivers weren't original and upon inspecting them I discovered the woofers wouldn't seat properly in their holes. I figured for the price it was worth the gamble. When I got them home and...
  25. Vaughn

Your average planar magnetic cedar Frankenphone

Some of you know the Fostex T50RP headphone is a favorite to modify due to the very high quality of the planar magnetic driver it uses. Some build completely new housings and some modify the stock enclosure. Modifying the stock housing can take you to a certain point but so much damping of the...
Back
Top Bottom