Search results

1. Hokieman

Harmon Kardon PM660 vs HK730

I've got a PM660 that I really like, but have never heard a 730. I'd love to own one myself.
  2. Hokieman

What is the Most Beautiful SS Sound???

Harman Kardon HK330c. It's amazing that their BOTL receiver sounds better than all their TOTL stuff that I have, although the HK750 amp gives it a run for the money. Proved to me that bigger is not always better.
  3. Hokieman

Harmon Kardon CD401 help

You got yourself a fine combo there. My first HK was a 570i, and CD401 is definitely top of the line. Enjoy!
  4. Hokieman

Is high humidity rate risky ?

Those humidity levels are no big deal. My house has this all the time.
  5. Hokieman

The modern muscle thread

Maybe because it had a trunk smaller than my Fiero. I thought it looked worse than a Honda Accord, and even the mega-drivetrain couldn't make up for it's other shortcomings. This from a guy who already owns three Pontiacs and was ready to buy a new Goat.
  6. Hokieman

AK'ers and pathological hoarding.....

I found myself in the exact same situation, but I've been resolving it the past 18 months by giving away complete vintage stereo systems to interested high school and college kids. I just delivered system #7 to my college roommate's youngest daughter last week. Every single one of the...
  7. Hokieman

Thrift Canon AE-1,Minolta X-370 What do I have?

My first camera was an AE-1 in 1978, and I still have it. It still works flawlessly. These were the biggest selling SLR's in history, by a substantial margin. I think you will be happy with your purchase. I myself bought a complete AE-1 system with standard, wide angle, zoom, flash, and case...
  8. Hokieman

Stereo Test Record buy

I have Fisher's (as in Avery) test record from the early 70's that I picked up at GW for a buck. It has a variety of different musical selections on it, including a piece by Paul McCartney.
  9. Hokieman

Which vintage TT would you go with?

Look around for a cheaper Pioneer direct drive table from the late 70's to mid-80's. PL-400 or so. Heavy units with nice suspensions. Can be had for less than $70 in great shape usually. These prices you're considering are quite rich IMHO.
  10. Hokieman

From zero to Kenwood L stack

As always, :worthless
  11. Hokieman

Patent 3,431,884?

Those "old style" drawings are still standard for patent applications. You pay quite a bit to special patent artists to make them (ask me how I know).
  12. Hokieman

Kenwood KX-1030 cassette deck--Scratchy sound.

Mine has the exact same problem. I went through and looked for bad solder joints and touched up what I thought was suspicious. I'm now inclined to think I have a bad transistor or some leaky caps. It will need a more detailed troubleshoot, I'm afraid. Great looking deck, though.
  13. Hokieman

wanted: Bang for your buck Headphones opinions

Recently got a set of 70's Koss Pro4AA, and Koss replaced the defective cable and earcups, as well as refurbished the earpieces for free ($6.00 s/h total). I'd forgotten how good these cans sound. They still sell them for around $90 new.
  14. Hokieman

Another new project: Big Heavy Rack

A man after my own heart - heavy duty steel beats wood any day in my book. Looks real good in plan, and I expect the final product will just as good. Last year I made some heavy DIY speaker stands for my JBL's using a four-face X-brace design utilizing 3/4" solid bar stock and top and bottom...
  15. Hokieman

fair price for a HK PM 640 vxi

Lower powered HK amp - I'd think $40 would be tops if it works properly.
  16. Hokieman

Who makes good TVs?

Panasonic for plasma, no doubt about it. Love my 42" Viera.
  17. Hokieman

Will the correct belt please stand up?

This a 25 inch flat belt that Finn located. Using a 25.8 (inch) belt will be a tad loose, and it will only get looser with time.
  18. Hokieman

Audiokarma Anniversary Contest, sign up here

Audiokarma
  19. Hokieman

Kenwood KX-1030 Belt Replacement

Thank you for the fine labeled photos and tips. Now if I can just get rid of the staticy noise in mine.
  20. Hokieman

For $6000-$10000- your choice for sedan/small SUV?

Pontiac Vibe / Toyota Matrix
  21. Hokieman

JBL Speaker Refoaming

This recalls my first refoam job 12 months ago, on a free pair of JBL L110's rescued from a dumpster. This is so familiar, except I used Rick Cobb's 30 Hz tone instead of shimming. They turned out fine, except it took me forever to scrape that old surround glue out of the channel in the woofer...
  22. Hokieman

Top 10 Headphone Deals

I just picked up a set of Pioneer SE-50's (circa 1969 from the sales receipt in the case). I'm still looking for a vintage set of Koss Pro 4aa, but in the meantime I got these TOTL Pioneer's for $10. Long story short, they sounded mushy and unimpressive until I DeOxit-cleaned the individual...
  23. Hokieman

Top 10 Headphone Deals

Thanks for heads-up on the Koss's.
  24. Hokieman

Pioneer PL-400 thrift find

And don't I feel like a heel. I bought an NOS one last year with the original Pioneer cartridge for $70. I felt like I was time warped back to 1978. It sounds very decent for a full automatic direct drive unit. Quite heavy, although the arm mechanism looks a bit mickey-mouse. Anybody know...
  25. Hokieman

What's the best receiver you ever heard?

My HK 680i. Best $10 I ever spent, and my first audio repair (on a defective tuner power supply).
Back
Top Bottom