Search results

1. Squidward

Why is it so hard to wind good transformers?

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/heyboer-peerless-williamson-final-assessment.875351/
  2. Squidward

Why is it so hard to wind good transformers?

This is a little bit of a digression, but I'm not sure what intellectual property, if anything, MLF "owns". Those Peerless patents are way past the point of expiring. He created a chilling effect for any sort of discussion and innovation for years with threats of lawsuits against both...
  3. Squidward

Amperage draw of big tube amplifiers ?

Spoiler alert: It's just an excuse to have more amps!
  4. Squidward

Amperage draw of big tube amplifiers ?

The summer / winter amp concept is alive and well here.
  5. Squidward

Kegger/blueglow kt88 project

If they got that hot I'd double check those electrolytics next to them.
  6. Squidward

"Williamson" Ultralinear Amp w/ Edcor OPT

Wow, sweet amp. I've got some 1625 stashed as well!
  7. Squidward

A REAL TROUBLE SHOOT MYSTERY

I don't know what Sonos product you're referencing, but I'm going to hope that it has its own volume control. Can you verify all the cables by putting them directly between the amp and the Sonos? Maybe try moving them around a little while everything is playing, I notice that sometimes when my...
  8. Squidward

Bought a power meter..... eek!

Cooking takes an immense amount of energy.
  9. Squidward

I've seen a few posts of your work and I find it very interesting, thank you for sharing! What is the total draw from the primary when you are pushing the amp? I bet it's not 84W. Wouldn't something like the heater draw be the same wattage no matter how you did it? Like if you had a...
  10. Squidward

A really bad day.

I am really sorry for your misfortune, sometimes when it rains it pours! That's quite a stable of amps, wonder what's been on the bench! I'm also waiting to hopefully see the thread where the underlaying issues get sorted out after an autopsy, I'm sure I'll learn quite a lot.
  11. Squidward

What he said.
  12. Squidward

I too use a meter (Kill-A-Watt) to benchmark individual devices around my house and in my stereo. I agree it's nice to know the usage. I do notice a difference in the ambient temp when I run tubes in the winter, and it's a nice side effect. Less so in the summer, obviously. One interesting...
  13. Squidward

In another sign of the times, to go to Fry's he'd need a time-traveling Delorian to get there...
  14. Squidward

There's a discussion somewhere with people comparing hot-rodded (literally) Pass Amps. Along the way someone notes they're consuming more power than some power-hungry tube amps. I have often thought that the key to the best sound is to find the least efficient and most inconvenient method of...
  15. Squidward

if you say tubes amps are around 20% efficient, and the KT-88 is about 12-14 WPC: ( 14 * 2 ) / 0.2 = 140 Sounds right on the money to me.
  16. Squidward

That sounds in line with what others have gotten. 1.2A @ 120VAC or so. What interested me was that if I wanted to run it on a variac, or iso transformer, it would be a lot less of a load than I expected. Where I live we have a hard winter. Whatever inefficiencies the tube amp has will be...
  17. Squidward

Tubed audio and the heat

I've been running a SS system all summer, partly because of the weather, partly because of a move. Now that I'm more settled in and temps are starting to fall I want to warm up not only the tubes, but the soldering iron as well!
  18. Squidward

Hard to navigate

I just got back from a two day power outage. Tornado came through our town. I'll be back for real in a day or two.
  19. Squidward

whistling in the wind ?

If you listen all day at a moderate volume, I'd suspect that you probably don't normally exceed a watt of power with your current setup.
  20. Squidward

whistling in the wind ?

Those huge speakers are in a huge room. You'll be fine with 90dB speakers in a small room.
  21. Squidward

Tube amp conundrum

Also I had often wondered about the advantages and perils of running an active xover in to passive crossovers, and while I thought there would be the possibility for slope mismatches, etc. it didn't occur to me that it'd be all screwed up from massive phase shifting. This would be problematic...
  22. Squidward

Tube amp conundrum

If a mono tube amplifier is seeing a load that is only the LF or HF section of a "split" (for lack of a better word at the moment) passive crossover, does that imply that it's unloaded for the opposite frequencies? If your source includes an electronic crossover that restricts the frequencies...
  23. Squidward

I love the bomb I just bought!!!!

You're no fun.
  24. Squidward

RCA SP10 stereo DIY scratch build amp

Wonder how this circuit would do with 6AQ5 finals. Use a pair of 6C4 in place of the 12AU7 and get an all 7 pin amp.
Back
Top Bottom