Search results

1. nclh77

users thread 901s

What the 901's did good, they did really good. What the 901's did bad, they did really bad.
  2. nclh77

Whats your take on Polk LS70 speakers?

A great speaker built with quality components. They just never sold really well, but then again, this was the beginning of the audio armageddon. Well worth it if you can find a pair.
  3. nclh77

Can Bose direct/reflecting be faked?

Only mids and high frequencies can be bounced off of hard surfaces. Any way you wanna do it is up to you.
  4. nclh77

1 sub or 2 questions for music

The 2000 watts is a pipe dream. Crown dosen't even bother to qualify it's rating. Do see max amp draw is 15A so good luck with 2000 watts plus output.
  5. nclh77

Happened upon an incredible deal on a Klipsch set.

The Pro 4/aa is an iconic product. They sold a ton of them and they sounded great. But my head did feel like they were in a vise after an hour or so.
  6. nclh77

Bose or B&O ??

Nothing wrong with any of them, go listen and buy what you like best.
  7. nclh77

Polk Monitor 10's Opinions

What was the mid changed with?
  8. nclh77

Linn Tukan drivers

Boy, what a shame, great speakers. Might be worth it to find a decent replacement if a search for oem turns up nothing.
  9. nclh77

Kenwood LS-408A a dead tweeter! Help!

They are great, well built speakers, definitely worth the wait for something to come up.
  10. nclh77

Great archive of Stereo Review speaker reviews

I subscribed to Stereo Review from 1978 until their demise. Tossed them in the 90's. Regret. I've never found a source for viewing Stereo Review reviews but this is as close I have gotten. Missing are the graphs but the picture and complete write up is generally there. Scroll to the bottom...
  11. nclh77

Looking at buying Bose 901 set with EQ

3 and 4 are interchangeable and 5 and 6. Apparently the 6mk2 had a different eq curve.
  12. nclh77

Looking at buying Bose 901 set with EQ

Mid life series V till the end had treated foam which did not rot. Final version had rubber I believe, the 6mk2. Hanging from the ceiling they were some of the best speakers I owned. On the tulip stands had them sold shortly thereafter. If you can get a good deal on them, get them. Resale...
  13. nclh77

Polk Monitors 10a

I don't think any of these companies thought their products would be expected to be in service 40-50 years later. With this in mind, I'm wiling to overlook a lot. I'm just happy my stuff is still giving me daily happiness. All of them way older than my college daughter.
  14. nclh77

1940s Labyrinth Speaker

Yet somehow Bose has a patent on the "acoustic waveguide" which is a transmission line.
  15. nclh77

1940s Labyrinth Speaker

As far as I know, the Stromberg may have been the original transmission line. 1936?
  16. nclh77

1940s Labyrinth Speaker

Is that a transmission line loading?
  17. nclh77

B & W Matrix 1s a few days ago and that led to Matrix 3 series II projects

The Matrix line were one of my favorite B&W products. You really should do some research on their construction. Probably one of the most inert consumer production speakers ever made. The lattice bracing really is something special.
  18. nclh77

All Happy Feelings - What Speakers Did you Believe Were Crap and They Were Actually Pretty Good?

Bose 901 VI hanging in my garage were spectacular. Moved. Brought them into the house onto pedestals. Not good. Off they went. Sometimes regret it.
  19. nclh77

Bose 601 Series II / Sansui au9900

The 601's have really gotten a second life the last couple of years. Some versions are going for crazy prices on ebay. My belief is they have become collectors items in Asia. You asked about synergy between your Sansui and Bose. 8.5/10.
  20. nclh77

Acoustic Research AR 9

Looks like you've got the power for them. A great speaker. Still remember seeing them for the first time in a Popular Mechanics, must have been around 1978?
  21. nclh77

bose 901

What is the story behind the gaskets? I've never seen anything like them on the 901's. Considering the old CTS drivers were probably the bulk of the build cost for the 91 it was no wonder they got into their own driver as fast as they could. I believe the early 901HVC drivers had the Pentagon...
  22. nclh77

The curve for the Bose 802E equalizer...WOW!

This ain't nothing, you should see what a 901 box does with its sliders at maximum. I believe over 30 db of gain at the upper end.
  23. nclh77

Bought Some ESS's..., But What Did I Get?

Maybe it's my tablet but I can't click to enlarge your picture and with my eyes, I can't see it. And I'm always down for some good AMT goodness pictures.
  24. nclh77

Bose Acoustimass ?? what is it ?

Waveguide was what they called transmission line loading bass loading. It was in their bedside radios, boom box like stereos, etc. I am unaware of any difference between waveguide bass loading and transmission line. Yet they got a patent. I'm dumbfounded as to what the difference might be...
  25. nclh77

Bose Acoustimass ?? what is it ?

What I've never gotten an answer to is how Bose could patent "waveguide" when it clearly is a transmission line.
Back
Top Bottom