Search results

1. ex brickie

Pioneer F-91 faults - advice please

I’ve just bought a mint (cosmetically) F-91 tuner. However, the buttons that change the band (AM/FM) and move the tuning dial up and down don’t work. Also the presets don’t work, nor does the button that shifts between manual and auto tuning options. It all lights up fine and the MPX button...
  2. ex brickie

Best cleaning solutions for silver facias and knobs

I'm sure this has ben covered before but what is best solution/cleaner for getting off general dirt, grease, smoke stains etc? I have old units where there are grime and scratches. I'm sure the scratches are impossible to resolve (short of sourcing and buying parts which can be expensive) - but...
  3. ex brickie

QX 949 questions

I've been reading with interest the QX 949 restore thread..... Two basic questions: 1 how do you tell whether a 949 is the first version or the updated 'A' version? Anything on the outside to tell? Is there a particular serial number to look for? 2 where sound-quality wise does the 949...
  4. ex brickie

SX 1050 - another dodgy channel problem!

I bought one of these a few months back - lovely cosmetic condition, all original boxes, and sounded great (I had some radio reception issues but largely resolved those). Recently, one (left) channel started going quiet and distorted. But with no consistency. Sometimes worked, sometimes cut...
  5. ex brickie

Importance of solder lead content

In the October edition of Stereophile (Re-tales article page189) it refers to modern solder not being compatible with old circuit boards where the lead content of solder was much higher (and would now breach legislation) My questions are: just how incompatible are the solders - and which...
  6. ex brickie

FM tuner pull in on SX 1050 vs SX 550

I’ve been using a 550 mainly for radio in a spare room and radio reception on FM has been pretty good. I’ve just bought a nice 1050 which on testing is a definite sound improvement (as it should be) but is much more fussy about aerial signal. When I tested the radio in one place it sounded good...
  7. ex brickie

Pioneer schematic manuals

Apologies if this is a stupid question. This is my first question for a very long time here but I read the Pioneer section with interest as I have an SX 550 currently , a partly working 636 and a fully working RT 909 My question is this. I’m in the UK and I’ve treated myself to a nice condition...
  8. ex brickie

Parts for an SX 535 receiver

I've just taken ownership of one of these receivers in lovely cosmetic condition and powers up - except for the following: a snapped off volume knob a snapped off function switching knob the dial is pitch black I've been given one of the knobs - which looks identical to the bass/treble so I'm...
  9. ex brickie

Ease of fixing 1970s SX receivers

First let’s explain my level of competence electronically - very low..... in other words totally inexperienced with a soldering iron. But quite handy at taking apart mechanical bits and putting them back together I have an SX 424 which was very crackly but a spray of contact fluid has improved...
  10. ex brickie

Can any vintage Marantz cassette decks be used in timer record mode?

I have a Marantz receiver and want to buy a matching cassette deck. I've had all Pioneer systems in the past and one of the advantages was that they have a timer and that their higher end cassette decks in the 1980 era had a switch that allowed timer play and record. Do any of the Marantz...
  11. ex brickie

Marantz cassette deck - 5010 vs 5020 vs others - opinions please?

Having just bought a re-capped 2252B receiver (and fabulous it is) I'm looking out for a matching era cassette deck. I'm in the UK... I've spotted models 5010 and 5020 which look very similar - what are the main differences in their performance and functionality? Also I want to record off the...
  12. ex brickie

Sizing a wooden case for 2252B receiver

Hi I've just bought a nice recapped 2252B (awaiting delivery) but it has no wooden case. This is my first ever Marantz receiver:banana: To save me searching umpteen owner manuals, does anyone know which other Marantz receivers have the same dimensions please? Dimensions are: 440 x 137 x 362...
  13. ex brickie

Choosing my first vintage Pioneer receiver

Hi guys I’ve not visited AK for several years but I’ve ventured back to seek the expertise of you Pioneer collectors. I’m currently living in west Wales, UK Over the last few years I’ve owned two Pioneer systems. One was a SPEC1/2 based system including a TX-8500 and RT-707. That’s all sold...
  14. ex brickie

1980 ish turntable question

as can be seen in the JA rack mount thread I've just put together a 1980 ish vintage Pioneer rig. This harks back to my teenage days when my first system was a nice rack system In those gold old days I had a PL400 turntable. I've always fancied a PL-L1000 but I have 3 questions: How does their...
  15. ex brickie

Replacement JA rack mounts

hi I'm new here but have managed to put together a nice 1980 ish vintage Pioneer system of Spec 1 and 2, CT700, TX8500II, RT-707 and a graphic equaliser. I need some rack handles and appreciate that originals are very rare. Does anyone make replacements? Thanks
  16. ex brickie

How much do AU 9900s go for in the UK?

I have one such amp and might be tempted to sell it (I have too much hifi and something has to go!). However, if it wouldn't go for much I might keep it and sell something smaller like a Creek amp. They don't seem to come up that often so I wondered what I might expect to fetch before I decide...
  17. ex brickie

AU-9900 using thick speaker cable - how??

My AU 9900 is driving me nuts as I have decent (thick) speaker cable I want to use and the banana plugs (obviously) won't fit. But even getting bare wire into the tiny hole is a pain in the butt! What techniques have you used to get over this? I'm currently using Linn K20 but I have some nice...
  18. ex brickie

Sansui SR 222 MkII - info please

I've just acquired one of these turntables :banana:but does anyone have a weblink for a manual, large pictures and more info on this product please? The arm on the deck is all over the place :scratch2:(it isn't obvious whether there ever was an arm clip) and I wondered if anything else might be...
  19. ex brickie

Any JMLabs owners here?

Anyone own JMLabs Micro Utopia Bes? I have them and think they are the dogs wotsits - except the recent review in HiFi+ for the new Diablos has got me rather excited. In fact in my local JMLabs dealership (only a small store) 2 staff have bought a pair already! So, anyone heard them or think...
  20. ex brickie

How do you clean inside a vintage amp?

I have a Sansui AU 9900 amplifier and have read threads on AK about the pros (or otherwise) to replacing capacitors. However I've not read much about: the benefits of giving the insides of an old amp a good clean; and if so how to do it effectively with no risk of dislodging something...
  21. ex brickie

AU 9900 vs 919 vs 719

How do these amps stack up against each other in the sound quality stakes? I've left out the X1 as it is ridiculously expensive......
  22. ex brickie

Value of Sansui AU 9900 amplifier (80s)

This is my first foray on this forum so treat me gently..... I have a Sansui AU 9900 amp and TU 9900 tuner. I will keep the tuner as I did a bake off vs a Naim NAT 01 and 101 and the Sansui came between the two (ie beat the 101 but not the 01). I may be tempted to sell the amp but I've no...
  23. ex brickie

Value of Sansui AU 9900

This is my first foray on this forum so treat me gently.....:D I have a Sansui AU 9900 amp and TU 9900 tuner. I will keep the tuner as I did a bake off vs a Naim NAT 01 and 101 and the Sansui came between the two (ie beat the 101 but not the 01). I may be tempted to sell the amp but I've...
Back
Top Bottom