Search results

1. drabina

Restoring my father's Epicure 20+ & Luxman L-480 (Help Needed)

I would recommend contacting Rick Cobb for speaker refoam kits. I have used his kits (foams and glue) multiple times with great results. Only once, he didn't have what I needed and I went with another company. The glue was so terrible that I almost destroyed the speakers. My 2 cents.
  2. drabina

What to Look For/Assess in a Used DAC?

I am not an expert on testing or DACs but head over to ASR forum and look for review of the Schiit Bifrost DAC. This will tell you how it measures and what to expect in terms of sound quality. As to testing an used equipment, have it connected and play music you are familiar with. Those DACs do...
  3. drabina

Question about music from TV thru optical to a DAC/stereo

I do think that external DAC connected to the stereo will have better sound than TV speakers. I just do not need any fancy studio equipment. :-) I decided to get Schiit Modi DAC from their website.
  4. drabina

Dedicated DAP vs phone with DAC dongle

Thanks. I bought one of those super cheap USB-C to headphone adapters. Still in transit so can't test but if it works, it should be fine for my low-fi testing needs.
  5. drabina

Dedicated DAP vs phone with DAC dongle

Once in a while, I need to test some audio equipment. Nothing crazy. Just to make sure all channels play, tone controls work, etc. I used to use the headphone out from phone to RCA for this but my recent phone doesn't have headphone port. I was thinking of getting one of those budget mp3 players...
  6. drabina

Thanks. Off to look for a DAC now.
  7. drabina

I have a "smart" TV (Roku) with Plex installed. Plex pulls my media from a NAS box. For regular movie watching, I just listen to the sound via TV speakers. If I were to install a DAC between the TV and my stereo, is there already some sort of loss of quality since the sound travels thru the TV...
  8. drabina

Question about preamp input ground

Thanks. And the phono ground is tied to the chassis star ground or somewhere else?
  9. drabina

Question about preamp input ground

I am building a preamplifier. It is a ESP's preamp (project P88) with a phono preamp (project P06). I have four sets of RCA inputs and one is going to be designated as the phono input that's going to go to the phono board. For the other three, should I create a common busbar for the ground for...
  10. drabina

Boston Acoustics T830 Refoam

Nice job. I have the same set but in black. Did a refoam as well with Rick's surrounds. I know that there are better speakers than the T830s but somehow I really like them. For me, they are non-fatiguing speakers I can listen to for hours. I like your brown cabinets. They look way better than my...
  11. drabina

Anybody replaced Magnepan MMGs with LRS? Opinions?

Thanks for all the replies and info. I do have subwoofer with current MMGs so the bass area is handled by the subwoofer not the panels. Planning on adding another one in the future once I can find same make/model. But you may be right. I should look into bigger panels as an upgrade vs getting...
  12. drabina

Question about Astatic IM-10E cartridge and stylus

The stylus is gone. I have ordered the Ortofon Omega. Should be here tomorrow.
  13. drabina

Thanks. We have cleaned the turntable yesterday but haven't had a chance to look at the stylus under a microscope. If it is worn out, then we will most likely go with the Ortofon Omega. I have found out that the stylus for the Astatic cart I have is N80-ED but it is not available so we are...
  14. drabina

I would definitely need to stay on the budget side price-wise as the turntable is my son's and he can't spend $150 on a cart or stylus. It would also be 5x more than we spent on the table. I was checking high compliance carts and Ortofon OM10 was recommended here on this forum. Unfortunately, at...
  15. drabina

I have picked up a Pioneer PL-7 turntable that's fitted with Astatic IM-10E cartridge. I am assuming that the stylus will need to be replaced but I don't know where to buy one. Also, I know that the PL-7 needs a high compliance cartridge. Is the Astatic IM-10E a good fit for this table? If not...
  16. drabina

Boston Acoustic T-830 Refoam?

Wow, you really did clean that cone very well. Good luck with the project. I love my T830s. One of the two speakers I kept after rotating tons of other speakers.
  17. drabina

Portable MP3 player - recommendation needed for a budget device

Yes, it is an option that I use from time to time but my phone does not have a good audio output. Also, the speakers/amps I am testing are usually from a higher class than mass market BestBuy stuff so simple 1/8th to RCA cable from a headphone output is not enough to bring up their full potential.
  18. drabina

I always eyeball it. There is also mark from the old glue which helps. No special math or measurements.
  19. drabina

Unfortunately, I do not remember if my T830s were rubbing or not. You will have to take a chance as once you glue the surround and the speaker is no good, you will have to replace all. Good luck with your project.
  20. drabina

I am not an expert on refoaming or speaker coils but I have done a few including the T830s and some other similar speakers. I usually do not run the 30Hz signal until I have the surround glued to the cone. I run it once the surround is glued to the cone to center the coil and again once the glue...
  21. drabina

I have mp3s, CDs and vinyl. Not too much concerned with space as I can always replace few albums on the mp3 player. Honestly, don't really need FLAC. High bitrate mp3s will most likely suffice.
  22. drabina

Thanks for the link. I see now that I phrased my question incorrectly. I would like the player to be compatible with mp3 and lossless formats (i.e. FLAC). No need for hi-res digital formats. I can even drop the FLAC requirement if I can't find a player that will do both formats.
  23. drabina

I am looking for a portable mp3 player. Something I can take to go and also use at home for testing equipment. I do have Sansa ClipZIP with RockBox firmware but my eyes are not what they used to be and the small screen is hard to read. The entry level Sony Walkman NW doesn't play hi-res and has...
  24. drabina

Has anyone found a pair of speakers and said "I'm done"?

Another vote for Magnepans. For the music I like with a lot of vocals and acoustic guitars they are hard to beat. They are in my main listening area for 5+ years now and the only upgrade would be to go with a bigger panel. I may add a box speaker so my son can play his rock and heavy metal...
  25. drabina

Anybody replaced Magnepan MMGs with LRS? Opinions?

I currently have MMGs in my main listening area. They are powered by Rotel amplifier and the combo sounds great. So great that I had to throw out few of my CDs and LPs as the Magnepans are pretty revealing of bad recordings. :-) Anyway, I am thinking of getting something new and was looking at...
Back
Top Bottom