Search results

1. goldwax

New music doesn't all suck, does it?

Weyes Blood - Everyday, 2019
  2. goldwax

What CD Player Do You Use?

I should update this. I switched to a Cambridge CXC since the 6000CDT was scratching discs. Oh, and it feeds a Pontus II. Perfectly happy now.
  3. goldwax

How many speakers do you have and what are they?

Dynaudio Heritage Special - main system Dynaudio Special Forty - boxed up in case i ever need to sell the Heritage. Might bring them to my office to replace the … Boston Acoustic A70 - office system
  4. goldwax

Boston Acoustics A150 Series I score

OP here. Just listed them on CL and FB Marketplace. They were my daily drivers for the past almost 11 years, but I’ve gotten the upgrade bug big time and recently got some Dynaudio Special Forty speakers at a superb price used, and don’t really have room for the A150s any longer. Looking through...
  5. goldwax

Recently changed to an AudioLab 6000CDT into a Schiit Bifrost 2 (nonupgraded version). Happy to have a slot loader since struggling with the drawers on my last two universal players for several years. CD-to-vinyl listening ration has flipped as a result.
  6. goldwax

Universal player drawer issue -- two-time loser!

The drawer on my Oppo BDP-83SE stopped opening properly about a year ago. The only way I could get it open was with a little assist with my fingers. No mean feat. Closed and played no problem. So I brought my Onkyo DV-SP506 out of retirement to take its place in short order the same thing...
  7. goldwax

'Cool' vintage CD player/transport?

If I were you, i’d just grab any old DVD player I had lying around and try it out in this setup to see I it even got used much.
  8. goldwax

The spare gear problem

I agree. You get what you can and cut your losses on the rest. You did give me an idea: a CL listing with all the stuff I want to move listed in one place. I haven’t tried that (or CL at all recently).
  9. goldwax

Half Your Age

25 in 1993, living in Japan. I had a largish CD/Cassette boombox with a $100 Sony turntable connected. Since I was only there a few years and lived in a small room, it was fine.
  10. goldwax

The spare gear problem

Since I got in the vintage gear game 12 years ago, i’ve done a decent job of moving stuff along: desirable stuff on eBay and Craifslist, decent stuff sold cheaply to friends, low-end stuff donated to thrifts, and basket cases to electronic recycling. But my sister just gave me back a cheap...
  11. goldwax

If you had to start over...

If I had to start over, I’d forget about records and instead get a good streaming setup going: laptop, amp, speakers. I’d subscribe to Spotify and maybe Tidal, and then pick up a CD player for all the stuff you can’t find on streaming services and start filling in with CDs.
  12. goldwax

Stereophile reviews the Outlaw RR2160

Yeah, the Bel Canto goes for used what the Outlaw is new. Started out as a $3k amp, but that was getting on 15 years ago. I guess i’m just wondering if things have progressed enough that the Outlaw would be an upgrade or not.
  13. goldwax

Toshiba SR-255 info and place in pecking order?

I got mine at a thrift, and some jerk had stolen the head shell already. I googled pictures of it and then searched eBay—hit on an identical-looking used one for $7 from the UK. So I think I paid $14 all in for it.
  14. goldwax

Stereophile reviews the Outlaw RR2160

Anyone have any idea how this might compare to the Bel Canto eVo2, gen ii?
  15. goldwax

What is the best integrated amp you've heard?

My experience is limited to the ones I've owned myself, but my Bel Canto Design eVo2i Generation II is head and shoulders above every '70s and '80s Japanese unit I've ever had. An Arcam AVR300 with reliability issues came second.
  16. goldwax

The Future of Vintage Stereo Gear

I'm with grillebilly. Personally, I think that there's a lot of confirmation bias going on with the anecdotal evidence people are providing in this thread. Yes, we are currently undergoing a boom in vintage audio, driven by the vinyl resurgence. But it's absolutely a bubble, and it will burst...
  17. goldwax

Vintage receiver upgrade advice?

There are several factors to consider when buying a new piece of equipment, including cost, sound quality, dependability, and looks/cool factor. The vintage market for audio has really changed in the 10 years that I've been messing around with buying and selling gear (as opposed to the 10 years...
  18. goldwax

Toshiba SR-255 info and place in pecking order?

Hard to believe I've been using this TT for five years now. My TD 160 is still up on the shelf needing repairs!
  19. goldwax

JBL P20 bookshelf

Another update. After using the in my TV system for a couple years, I put the speakers and the Sherwood together with a thrift store Sony CDP and gave my sister up on SF a system I wouldn't mind listening to whenever I come up to visit. Enjoying it right now, as a matter of fact!
  20. goldwax

Boston Acoustics a70

I dunno. I think we may be quibbling over a few bucks here. I bought three sets of A70s on Craigslist around 2009, all needing reforms but otherwise pretty clean. I spent $35 to $49 on each, plus about $20 in refoam kits (correct type) each. I sold two pairs, $95 and $100 each soon after, and...
  21. goldwax

Minimalism, and how it applies to our hobby.

I haven't yet gotten to point of ripping CDs, though I can use my universal player, an Oppo DD-83SE as a music streaming device if needed.
  22. goldwax

Minimalism, and how it applies to our hobby.

I'm definitely moving in the direction of minimalism, though you'd be hard-pressed to think so with all the imunfoled tevordsbi have lying around. I'm down to a turntable, phono preamp, universal player and integrated amp. Gone are separates, cassette deck and tuner. Don't need 'em! Now, gotta...
  23. goldwax

Oppo BDP-83SE. Plays every format I need, including hi-res digital files.
  24. goldwax

Its official: I have too much stuff ...

I'm with Andyman on moving stuff along. Personally, since 2008, it's been a case of onward and upward, with some mistakes and victories along the way. But I've worked my way from a '70s Kenwood KR-7600 to a '70s Sansui AU-/TU-7500 to an '80s Yamaha C-45 with either an Arcam SA200 or Kenwood...
Back
Top Bottom