Search results

1. T

KA-3500 output transistor problem

I might be able to fix this if I get a better soldering iron and meter (I don't think my $5.00 Harbor Freight meter will work for testing.) This will be my 1st attempt amp repair. The Hopjohn info is helpful. I was searching AK for "mica" to see what it was - came across a reference to...
  2. T

Thanks for the responses to my output transistor problem. Been away from AK for awhile with a family emergency. The repair shop only replaced 2 of the transistors, both located furthest from the fuse. The 2 "batwing" transistors closer to the fuse are original (I believe.) The one that...
  3. T

Thanks for your response. I've done some research in the AK Kenwood section. I made sure the speaker wires were correctly set. Last December I caused a short (according to the service tech) by 1) having the amp plugged in to wall power and 2) The on/off switch accidentally was turned on while...
  4. T

What would cause a output transistor to explode when powered up? When I set up and turned on my KA-3500 this weekend it immediately made a popping sound, flashed near Q21 and Q23, released some smoke and smelled like burning electronics. I unplugged and opened it up - found a transistor had...
  5. Transistor

Transistor

6. T

New technology with vintage amps - solution available?

I did some research on this new (for me) technology and have decided to focus on a Blu-Ray player with 5.1 or 7.1 analog audio output into my existing audio system. I was going to buy a used Samsung BD-F7500 for $50 but decided to continue the search for a more recent model and found the...
  7. T

Thanks for the comments. I’ll pick up a BlueRay player and use the audio out on the Epson if the BlueRay does not have RCA jacks for audio. I was reluctant to use the Epson stereo audio jack because of the small wire size. Compared to my current audio set-up with the E-390 processor, would I...
  8. T

I purchased a new projector (Epson 2150) that has only HDMI and VGA inputs. I don’t have an AVR. In my current set-up the DVD deck audio goes to a Yamaha DSP-E390 amp (rear, subwoofer, center speakers) and a Kenwood KA-3500 amp for the front speakers. I might have 3 options to run the DVD...
  9. T

Design Accoustic PS6 dome tweeter (same as PS10?) not working.

I found a replacement for the tweeter so, took the original apart. The wire from the terminal to the voice coil was broken at the VC. I unwrapped the wire from the VC by 1 turn and, now have a length of coper wire I can solder to the terminal. There are probably some specs for this dome...
  10. T

Design Accoustic PS6 dome tweeter (same as PS10?) not working.

I discovered the 1" dome tweeter on my PS6 is not working - no hiss or reduced output - it's dead. Inside cabinet wiring is ok. Is this tweeter a repair item? Or, do I need to replace? Is there anything under the 3 Phillips-head screws that, if removed, will help diagnose the problem? If it...
  11. T

Pacific Stereo History

============= It was at Pacific Stereo in Anaheim - 1972 or 1973. As I recall it was a summer concert series in a section of the parking lot south of the store. I believe free general admission tickets were necessary to get in and, could be obtained in the store. As I recall Tower of Power...
Back
Top Bottom