Search results

1. rockhound

AES 31 Speakers worth fixing up?

I bought some AES 31 Speakers at a tag sale for 3 bucks. Cabinets seem pretty heavy, so I figured I'd grab them. I only found one short page about these speakers.... An ad launching the design. Anyone know if they are worth fixing up (surrounds) are the correct surrounds available?
  2. rockhound

SQ on Headphones with degraded ear pads ?

So I picked up a pair of ATH40fs for free. The ear pads are shot, flaking off little black chips of pleather plastic junk. I've removed the offending cracked black flakey stuff and am left with just the foam pads. Am I loosing bass response? I would imagine the isolation is less, but I really...
  3. rockhound

Jensen Transformer for DI

Hello, Just wondering if the Jensen transformers that are used in the better DI Boxes are used in any other devices? old stereos or tuners as an example. Looking to find one or and equivalent in some broken down audio equipment. I see them for sale 99bucks is a lot for me goofing...
  4. rockhound

AU-9900 Phono Board One channel dropped out.

Hello AK AU-9000 phono dropped R channel. Other inputs work fine, just Phono is having trouble. Swapped R an L from turntable, still no right ch. I suspect it's the phono board. I have to gather up the schematic "again" Was this one of the boards that are difficult to remove or is it...
  5. rockhound

Show me some Super Low Budget Dac's

Hi all, I'm looking for those cheap 20 buck dacs. I know there "were" and still are threads on this, I've searched and read a few but, most of the "deals" expired or the links are broken ect... Wondering what's out there now. I had an M-Audio PCI sound card that had a pleasant sound to it...
  6. rockhound

Technics SL-220 Ground issues + Spindle

As Title says, I believe it's a grounding issue. Symptoms - every revolution of the platter results in a Spritz of static. wet bottle rocket sound ppfft. Not a constant 60hz hum (or whatever) just a little puff of sizzle I understand My old Preamp in the Sansui AU9900 can and does produce...
  7. rockhound

Every few Months AU-9900 goes into Protection [F-2568]

My AU-9900 The kind Members helped me fix up (Years ago) goes into protection every few Months. I narrowed it down to the F-2568 board, remove and a quick spurt of Dexoit and it's back to normal. The pins on that board are a bit worn or the female sockets are too loose. What can I do to fix...
  8. rockhound

AT 42e or AT-VM95C Needle upgrade or new cartridge

Between the two carts mention in the title. The at42e can use the at10 11 or 12 model replacement needles. The 42e is my old cart and has an "aftermarket" needle in it. It sounds ok but not Audio Technica so I don't know how good it's supposed to sound. The decision I'm facing Get a new...
  9. rockhound

DIY Platter mat Thickness

I have a Technics SL B2 that came with the rubber mat. I'm wanting to try other types of materials to see how much it improves (or not) the sound. I have done a cork and felt so far and wish to try acrylic. I've no trouble cutting roundish circles. The trouble lies in ... How thick to make the...
  10. rockhound

DIY Platter mat Thickness

I have a Technics SL B2 that came with the rubber mat. I'm wanting to try other types of materials to see how much it improves (or not) the sound. I have done a cork and felt so far and wish to try acrylic. I've no trouble cutting roundish circles. The trouble lies in ... How thick to make...
  11. rockhound

AT 42e tracking force

I finally bought a turntable... Actually, my old Technics SL B2 that I had gave away a few years ago. Anyways it was filthy. I've got it cleaned up and playing. I'm at a loss to find the tracking force for the AT42e cart. and I'm unsure if I need to use the replacement # for tracking force...
  12. rockhound

Needle Tracks like a woobbly drunk walking the white line

Thought I was hearing a need of a rumble filter switch. I look at the arm and it dancing wiggling and bumpin I never seen this before, it wasn't a very dynamic section of the song. I backed it up and it played ok then it happened again so I shut it down It's a cheep O Deck zero...
  13. rockhound

had Technics sl B2 gave it away replace or the next step up ?

I had this table and lack of space force me to part with it. Now things are somewhat sorted I'd like to get another Turntable. How much a jump in price to get the next step up in tables ? I am currently looking for another SL B2 but thought if it's not to much of a jump in price I could step...
  14. rockhound

USB Audio interface ?

Hey all, I have a USB Audio Interface I use to record Bass Guitar into a DAW. Is the Pro Audio Interface DAC good enough for playback or Do I need a dedicated DAC ? or are they not the same ? Thanks for you help :)
  15. rockhound

Sansui AU-D7..... Do I want it ? I know I do but

Sansui AU-D7 Local sale, says it works, for 1 bunch of clams. I have a AU-317 and a AU-9900 Would I see any improvement in sound quality or of power that I couldn't get from the 317 or 9900 with the D-7 @ 80w per ch. ? I'm awaiting more pictures...
  16. rockhound

JBL 034 Tweeter Screen

Are there any tips or tricks to putting the protective screen back on ? I re-did the surrounds on JBL L-46 One tweeter was out. I disassembled the 034 and soldered the VC wire back together. Now I'm having a tough time getting the screen back in. I knew it was "trouble" when I saw I had to...
  17. rockhound

AU-317 10,000uf 50V Replacements ?

I have AU 317 with ELNA 10000uf 50V caps I don't know which caps to use to replace them with. I want to replace with the ELNA caps but Digi / Mouser doesn't have them. Is there a drop-in replacement ? I have heard, then read, that the lead spacing on the newer caps 10mm requires some board...
  18. rockhound

AU9900 Protection light after 45mins

Hello Ive got a protection light after about 45 mins of operation. I checked DC and Bias (Ive had issues with the Bias before) and It might be the cause A few years ago I replaced the trans on the driver board, and just last week or so ago swapped all but two of those preamp 5 legged ones...
  19. rockhound

AU 9900 Tone & Filter crackle

AU 9900 plays ok when Tone &Filer is disengaged or Filter is engaged. Turning the knob to Tone & Filter I get full power constant crackling noise in one channel. I cleaned Pre/Main switch and Filter &Tone switch, will check ground on tone board. Can use some help what to try next.
  20. rockhound

Aardvark Q10 audio interface

Hello AK, I'm looking for information on an old audio 10 channel digital interface. I have the breakout box but no Direct Pro PCI host card or cable. I am hoping to find a schematic or pin-out for the 25sub D host connection. The unit was powered by the older style PCI slot , 5v. So far I...
  21. rockhound

Advent Laureate crossover

Need help with the advent crossover. I found these speaker on the roadside after a tag sale. All the parts are there, I re-did the surrounds. and hooked up the speakers, they play ok I guess just sounding a bit dull The crossovers weren't wired up so I used the lengths of wire to...
  22. rockhound

AU-9900 Protection light on then off then on

AU-9900 has been working flawlessly for 4 months after fixing a few bad solder joints. Today while listening to an LP the sound cut out then came back on. I thought the album was screwy. I switched over to the AUX-1 CH (music from my P/C) and I herd the protection trip after a few mins of...
  23. rockhound

Technics SL-B2 Au-9900 Which Phono Input ?

Hello AK, I have an old Technics SL-B2 TT I am using with a Sansui AU-9900. The AU-9900 has 2 Phono Inputs. I honestly don't know which one to use. Input 1. Pickup load - 30k, 50k, 100k ohm Input 2. Sensitivity - 2mV, 4mV, 8mV Is it based on the Cartridge ? I have no...
  24. rockhound

SMOKE ! C605,606 on AU-9900

Hello AK New to posting (2nd post) I have some basic skills. I'm willing to listen and learn. I can read schematic have limited testing ability (basic meter). Although this Amp AU-9900 may not be the best thing to learn on I have been lucky up until now. While setting the Bias and...
  25. rockhound

AU-9900 One Channel Out ?

I've been reading the Forum here for a while and thought I might ask a few Questions about a Sansui AU-9900 that I picked up for FREE :) Previous Owner said the thing was JUNK (one channel out) so I grabbed it !!! Hooked up some speakers and only the Right Channel plays. After...
Back
Top Bottom