Search results

1. Flatwounds

Considering a mono setup and I have questions...

Greetings all! I have been happily enjoying my mc225 and 2100 biamp system but low and behold, an mc30/c8 combo popped up locally. I am considering it. Here are my questions; Can I connect stereo components (stereo reel to reel) to the preamp via y cable - Stereo male rca to male mono? How...
  2. Flatwounds

Mc2100 refurb questions . . .

Hello all, Back in September, I acquired a second MC2100 and an MC225. I have been able to find many threads on restoring a 225 but nothing to specific on the 2100. Do any of you know of a thread you can point me to? Or have any of you done this recently and have a parts order that you could...
  3. Flatwounds

MX110Z dial lamps flickering. Questions...

Hello everyone. As of last night, the bulb on the right (facing unit) is flickering, I suppose I won't know if it is loose or in need of replacing until I take the front glass off. That appears to involve removing all knobs, 4 screws holding the top plate on and end caps. For those of you...
  4. Flatwounds

My new MC225

Hello everyone! I was lucky enough to pick this beauty up this weekend. It looked funky when I went to look at it but a preliminary cleaning has yielded good results. I'll open her up tomorrow and have a look inside. A full restoration is no doubt in order before powering up. I'm really...
  5. Flatwounds

My "New" MX110Z from Echo Audio - Unboxed and singing!

The UPS man brought this beauty to my doorstep yesterday. Took about a half hour to unbox. Bulletproof. Alas, I did not take photos of the superb packing job. Thanks to the advice of many here, I think I made a nice step forward from my C29 which I also love. I wish I could keep both but...
  6. Flatwounds

Questions about Scotch 203?

I just picked up 16 Scotch 203. In shrink wrap. 20 bucks untested. Not much of a gamble. Anybody have any tips, bias/eq settings on the Technics 1500 or Sony 765? These are green label, plastic box not the earlier cardboard red and black. Thanks!
  7. Flatwounds

Sony TC 765 in the house!

I just picked up this pristine Sony on Friday. A two hour round trip and I was home with the deck and about 15 10 inch reels mostly Maxell/Hitachi. In cleaning the tape path, I was shocked at how clean the heads were. This machine came from an estate sale and I bought from that buyer. I...
  8. Flatwounds

How to connect macbook pro (2010) to GF tube DAC?

Hello everyone! I am currently considering purchasing either the 09 or 11 tube DAC. My question is about output from the Macbook pro. As I understand it, the USB output does 24/192 while the optical does 24/96. So how would I connect the laptop to the DAC to hear 24/192. I think the GF...
  9. Flatwounds

Technics 1500 1/4 /1/2 track switch cleaning

Good morning, fellow tapers. I would like to remove the headblock from my Technics to clean this switch. Why? Because my tech admittedly did not do it. The main symptom I am experiencing is speed fluctuation. The tape slows down and sometimes returns to what I hear as correct speed...
  10. Flatwounds

Recapping my C29 today

Hello all. I am super excited to refurbish my preamp today. Caps have arrived and I should be enjoying sweet music by this afternoon. A very good tech friend is making a house call. Caps are nichicon. A few of the panel lamps are out. Do any of you have any experience replacing these...
  11. Flatwounds

What to do with 2 2100's?

Hello all. I am thinking of experimenting with strapping these amps. My preamp is a C29 and speakers are ADS 910. I'm curious to hear if the speakers like the extra power. My question is, have any of you run a configuration like this and if so, was 2 better than one? Thanks!
  12. Flatwounds

DBX 224x - thinking of adding one. Questions

Hello all and thanks for any advice. I am new to rtr and have been enjoying my teac 4010s. I recently aqquired 125 tapes recorded from a military radio station. Hits of the day, rock. Jazz, all really fun to listen to. I plan on bulk erasing the Ferrante and Teicher types and using...
  13. Flatwounds

Moving from a Teac A 4010 to a Technics 1500

Hello all! I've always been a vinyl guy but for the last year or so, I have been wanting a reel to reel. I recently acquired the Teac and I really like it and I think it sounds great. I've been having a blast making vinyl mix tapes. Just having a ball. In the next couple of weeks, I...
  14. Flatwounds

Traveling to Japan in January. Any super rare Sansui models to look for?

Hello everyone! I posted a similar thread in vintage solid state but thought I would post here as well. I will be travelling to Japan, Tokyo Nagoya and Osaka. I'm hoping to bring back a beautiful audio souvenir. I've had a 9090 in the past and loved it. Do any of you have any...
  15. Flatwounds

Traveling to Japan in January

Hello everyone! I will be travelling to Japan, Tokyo Nagoya and Osaka. Do any of you know of any places to find vintage solid state goodies in those places? I'm hoping to bring back a beautiful audio souvenir! Happy listening!
  16. Flatwounds

2100 and 2150 as mono blocks?

Hello all! What do you think of this idea? Would it be possible to do this? Are these two amps of a similar enough vintage and voicing to make this work? Could I simply attenuate the volume to compensate for the wattage difference? I would like to try this with my C29 and ADS 910s. Any...
  17. Flatwounds

Autumn listening.

The chilly weather makes me want to stay inside and play records. Sinatra is swingin easy at the moment. Happy listening!
  18. Flatwounds

Really interesting short film about the world's largest record collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQbEhZwWTZY&feature=relmfu This is lind of a tear jerker. Anybody got an extra 3 million dollars?
  19. Flatwounds

Sansui 7900z

Hello everyone! I am thinking of picking one of these up from my local CL. I sold my 9090 to help finance some Mcintosh gear. I am thinking of this for a bedroom system. Plenty powerful for that. I am curious about the sonics. The jury seems split on these early 80's models. I...
  20. Flatwounds

Teac a 3440

Hello all! I am about to get my first deck, an A 3440. It needs a new capstan belt. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good source for ordering? Thanks and happy listening!
  21. Flatwounds

New needle/cartridge for pioneer pl 400

Hello all! I just brought home a Pioneer PL 400. The cartridge is a Pickering TLE type with DLE needle. The needle is missing. Just not there. Can anyone suggest a decent replacement? Also, I have never replaced a needle before. I assume gentle pressure would remove the needle...
  22. Flatwounds

My "new" Mcintosh rig!

Hello everyone! I just drove 7 hours round trip today to pick this up. Got it home through the snow and just finished hooking it all up! I am really psyched but obviously the turntable can't stay where it is. Gotta figure out a new way to display so I can reclaim my coffee table for...
  23. Flatwounds

Which speakers for Ss Mcintosh system?

Mc 2150 and C29. KLH five, twenty three, and klipsch KG4. Only one of the three pair can stay and will be paired with the Mc system. Anyone have any thoughts. Both klh are recapped. Klipsch are original. Thanks and happy listening!
  24. Flatwounds

Chance to pick up a C-39 locally

Hello everyone. I hope your holidays were merry and bright. There is a C-39 for sale locally that I am considering. I would be using this preamp for 2 channel listening. It would be running my refurbished 2100. I have read a few threads where the general consensus is that it is a "good"...
  25. Flatwounds

KLH model Five or Dynaco A-25

Hello all! I have a guy coming over today who is interested in buying my Dynaco A-25, KLH Five and EPI 120V. I want to keep either the KLH or Dynaco. Which of the two would you keep? The Fives have been recapped. Dynaco's have never been opened. The Fives were in crap shape when I...
Back
Top Bottom