Search results

1. myu701

Recommendations on Blu-ray player - older Mid-Fi or TOTL

From all I'm seeing, Blu-ray players have pretty much topped out on technology, with 4K support being the latest. But given how little media is being created for 4K, it will be a while before it's really desirable. What do you get with 4K? I think 1080p with 120Hz refresh will look about as...
  2. myu701

Rank turntable components in order of importance

Stylus Tonearm Cartridge Headshell/mount Drive train (motor) Electronics Table chassis Plinth Wiring Platter Feet Dust cover [Of course Phono stage+preamp+amplification plays an important role, but outside the TT] Did I leave anything out? I sort of guessed an order, but of course some people...
  3. myu701

JVC QL-Y5F or Technics SL-MA1

I have two turntables in my audio stable and a friend of mine is pining to buy one of them off me. I was using the SL-MA1 for many years, then boxed it up in favor of the JVC QL-Y5F when I got a good deal on it locally. Not that one is notably better sounding than the other (as far as my ears...
  4. myu701

Yamaha receiver -- custom veneer job

I've seen a few posts here and there where people exhibit their Yamaha CR-xxxx receiver that has been redone with a real wood veneer. Some people did it themselves, while others had them done by a professional (or amateur with very good skill). My newly acquired CR-2040 looks pretty...
  5. myu701

Someone got lucky with a Klipsch score at the Jersey Shore

[CL Ad] I wonder if an AK member got these. What a steal! They look like 1970's/1980's vintage Klipsch, but I can't figured out the model? Anyone here know the model?
  6. myu701

Which would you keep: Technics SL-MA1 or JVC QL-Y5F?

I'm in a situation where I need to reduce my audio gear. I've already sold off a bunch of stuff, to include a near mint set of HBR Klipsch Heresy II's (longest owned speakers for me, sad to let 'em go). So I'm down to turntables now. I have a Technics SL-MA1 that I bought brand new in the...
  7. myu701

CR-2040 meter not working

I'm considering a CR-2040... I'd long wanted a CR-2020 but I've come to like the improvements made on the 40 series and they're easier to find. Anyway, I found one for a reasonable price with the usual bulbs out issue, but one of the meters (left signal) is not functioning. Is this a fairly...
  8. myu701

Onkyo Integra gang buster opportunity

Well, some of the most coveted gear from the vintage Onkyo Integra line just closed today on eBay. Didn't post about it here until after the ending, out of respect to the bidders. A-G10 [integrated amp] - $690 DX-G10 [cd player] - $710 T-G10 [tuner] - $639 I was really amazed that the...
  9. myu701

Buying an Onkyo Integra P-308

I've had a long hankering for Onkyo gear, especially the M series. Unfortunately I learned about it rather late in the game, so I ended up missing on some much better pricing that was around just 5 years ago. However, one day luck came my way and I snagged a T-G10 tuner for a very reasonable...
  10. myu701

Klipsch Heresy's with upgraded crossovers, vs. stock Forte

I have a set of Klispch Heresy II's that I've enjoyed on and off since the late 1980's when I bought them new. When I bought them I really wanted the Forte, but they were $200 more per pair and I just didn't have the budget allocation. In hindsight, I probably should have gone for it. It...
  11. myu701

Second best to TOTL that's usually under appreciated?

I'm curious to know what vintage audio components people have found that are not quite TOTL but are often a good bargain because the TOTL models prominently overshadow them. For example, before Pioneer SX receiver fever hit, the SX-1980 was still recognized as TOTL and rather coveted...
  12. myu701

Weird tonearm problem with Yamaha P-850

A family member of mine has a Yamaha P-850 turntable that's acting up. He had it serviced last year, because upon starting play the tonearm would stop short of the platter and then retreat back to the tonearm rest. Now what is happening is that the tonearm positions properly at the start of...
  13. myu701

Upgrading your power cord... suggestions?

I have a NAD 1155/2200 preamp/amp combo that I bought new while serving in the military in Europe. Thankfully both units have multi-voltage support, but they came with 220v plugs. I did have them converted to 120v and have been using adapters on the plugs. But... well, it's kind of sloppy and...
  14. myu701

Show us your cosmetic mods/upgrades to your vintage audio gear

Sometimes a piece of audio gear is lacking in some aesthetic way for your personal tastes. Maybe it's a model that had optional wooden sides and yours didn't come with any, and so you decided to fashion or procure your own custom version. Whatever it is, if you've made some cosmetic...
  15. myu701

Onkyo separates in East Islip, NY

There's a very friendly guy in East Islip selling a bunch of Onkyo components. I went there to buy his JVC turntable. I would've picked up the Onkyo stuff, except that I've got too much amplification gear at this point. I can't remember the model numbers precisely, but I think the amp is an...
  16. myu701

Great metal speaker stands for a very reasonable price!

I have a few large speakers that are a bit too big for tall bookshelf stands. I'd been eyeing some of the classic JBL wooden stands that position the speakers fairly close to the floor with a slight upward tilt to the face, but felt they weren't high enough. The choice on the open market is...
  17. myu701

The great salmon debacle

I really can't get over what people are doing... We've erected so many dams that have disturbed salmon species migration to spawning grounds. To combat the disruption (so sorely AFTER the fact), we've spent billions in fishing laboratories and elaborate "migration assistance" techniques. In...
  18. myu701

WARNING: Listeria outbreak in cantaloupe, 18 states

The CDC issued a multi-state warning about a severe Listeria outbreak, from cantaloupe that came from Jensen Farms in Colorado. Definitely check with your grocer where they may have sourced their cantaloupe produce. If there's any doubt about the cantaloupe you just bought, destroy it... no...
  19. myu701

Marine-Tex -- miracle repair epoxy resin

A long time ago in my early life, I worked for a marine supply company in New Rochelle NY, named "Defenders". They had all kinds of really great stuff there, useful even well beyond marine applications. One that I discovered and never forgot was Marine-Tex. This is super powerful stuff...
  20. myu701

Drugstore.com deal to new buyers

Hey, I don't know if anybody ever buys drug store stuff on-line, but if you do then you might want to look into making a purchase at Drugstore.com (no affiliation). I was looking for the best prices on a few things on-line, and Drugstore had pretty competitive prices. BUT, the big kicker was...
  21. myu701

Large speaker stand height -- any general guidelines?

I'm looking for some stands to suit a couple of vintage speakers I have that are of similar dimensions. At present, I have a set resting on very thick cardboard boxes, with wood wedges in front to tilt them up. The front edge of the speaker is essentially 8" high while the rear is 6". To me...
  22. myu701

Did you ever go "backwards", switched to cheaper speakers for "better sound"?

I know the "which is better" question is very subjective concerning speakers, but when you start seeing a number of people chiming in with the same experience, that says something. So... do you have a set of speakers that you found to be better than ones of higher caliber? Meaning, you've...
  23. myu701

Canton CT-2000 speakers

After I got my first set of Canton speakers, the TOTL Ergo Passiv model from the early 1980's, I've been fascinated with the brand. There was another model that Canton made practically adjacent to the Ergo Passiv, designated as the CT-2000. It's a 3 way floor stander that handles 150w RMS and...
  24. myu701

DIY speaker grilles -- materials suggestions?

** please delete ** ** please delete **
  25. myu701

Onkyo Integra T-G10 / T-9090II

I just got one... My first real "score", getting it significantly below market value. It's the Grand Integra T-G10, in excellent condition (only a few scratches on the side panels). Internally it is identical to the T-9090II. But on the outside, I find that this one looks better. It does not...
Back
Top Bottom