Search results

1. Shackman55

Captain Marvel turntable?

This might be out of place here, but in the New Captain Marvel movie there is a turntable that looked like a United Audio plinth but it did not look like a Dual table. Anyone catch what table it was? It's keeping me up night.
  2. Shackman55

Rega planar 3 enough of a step up from my pioneer

I'm currently running a pioneer pl514 which works flawlessly, but I saw a Rega Planar 3 pop up locally. Owner says it works perfectly, comes with no cartridge, but is clean, good cover, looks like the oem arm but the platter looks like glass. I'm not versed in Rega but I think that is an...
  3. Shackman55

Calling all Pioneer PL-A35 Owners

I have been restoring a table for a friend, it belonged to the deceased father of his girlfriend, it is the only possession she has from him due to bitter divorce situation and greedy new stepmother. I've gotten lucky with some missing parts from various sources including my junk drawers...
  4. Shackman55

Happy and Sad, Paradigm 9se

Just picked up a pair, in nearly pristine condition at the local thrift, same price as the grand slam I had for breakfast. I was so excited, I had never listened to or heard much about them other than I knew the name and recognized the build quality. One dust cap just slightly pushed in (Those...
  5. Shackman55

Getting my Beam on!!

Been intrigued by the Bic Beam Box for years, but not enough to shell out 50 beans to try one. I was on the hunt for some slacks for my youngen today and as I walked into the thrift, there it was staring at me on the impulse display by the door. The Bic Beam Box FM8 cosmetically pretty good...
  6. Shackman55

Help! Anyone know Crown IC150A repair?

I recently got one to use while my Sumo is getting a little work-over. Surprisingly enjoyable smooth and easy. All works and works well after a deoxit bath, except the headphone jack. Both channels are there but very very low. Before I go ripping into it and mess something up, I was hoping there...
  7. Shackman55

VPI 17 for $400??? Quick

Over on Audiogon, a fellow has a VPI 17 for sale. cheap. Someone save me from temptation. Actually I almost pulled the trigger, but furnace just blew and I have no heat so I have to be sensible and let someone else get it. Just thought maybe someone here could use it. Not sure if this was the...
  8. Shackman55

Craigslist WNC Denon DD Turntable DP-30L(S)

I think this is where this belongs, anyone in the Western NC area this looks to be a good deal, I have no use for it, I have vowed that unless it is better than my best now, I won't go for it. So no new tables (Unless of course it is too good a price) This fellow has been listing this for a few...
  9. Shackman55

What would be a good kit for Headphone Amp

My current system has no headphone jack. I would like to try a DIY headphone amp. I was wondering if there are any plans or kits available to make a simple one. I saw a little 1 watt amp kit at Ratshack and wondered if something like that could be used at the heart of one or if it isn't that...
  10. Shackman55

Infinity Entra two? Any love or tweaks?

Picked up a pair of these not knowing anything about them, just had the name and look, although not the weight that I expected. Temporarily at least they have displaced my DCM's for listening purposes. Driving them with Sumo Polaris 310 I think I like them although it's hard to describe why. The...
  11. Shackman55

How big is your VPI 16.5?

This is a strange request I know, but what are the dimensions of the VPI 16.5 H/W/L and also the pads on the vacuum tube, what do they feel like? Soft like velvet? or more bristly like velcro? I am working on a DIY RCM and saw some parts that might lend themselves to this project but I wanted to...
  12. Shackman55

Quad Yamaha? Hmmm cute

Running through the Goodwill (New to me Luxman amp in hand) I saw at tape deck that got me to stop and ponder for a second. It was a Yammy natural sound series but the look was different. Reading the face of it for a moment, I noticed it said Quad recording... I've never seen a consumer cassette...
  13. Shackman55

Looking for VPI RCM??? Audiogon

There is a VPI 16.0 not the 16.5 that needs some work but the price is right over on Audiogon http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1312505893&/VPI-HW-16-record-cleaner-machi Not affiliated I was in the market for one just like this but funds gone so if anyone else is on...
  14. Shackman55

Luxman R-1040 I know it's just vinyl but...

Made an unscheduled stop at G.W. and glad I did. They were just putting this out and I couldn't believe it had survived their usual gorilla handling. I was just captured by the veneer's coloring. It was just glowing, despite the layers of dirty and grease. I plugged it up and radio came in great...
  15. Shackman55

Sealed and fresh, you gotta love it!

I have the weekend off which is quite unusual for me (I'm just trying to use up some vacation time) So I told myself I would take the whole day to make the rounds of all the thrifts within 30 area, which I did. Problem is I didn't find a darn thing. I hit the clearance center and did find a...
  16. Shackman55

Still life left in DCM CX-07

This afternoon is a scorcher closing on 100 and my Sumo amp is like running a space heater. So I had forgotten I had a little Marantz integrated PM-54 setup connected to my DCM CX-07's It doesn't put out much heat so I figured what the heck. I think I listened to too many peoples opinions of...
  17. Shackman55

What happened to Audiogon???

It seems to be completely gone? I mostly stick here, but I check the for sales over there but when I went to look today I get a domain for sale message. Very curious.. wondering if they have been hijacked or just couldn't pay the bills. Not sure if this is the right forum or not to ask this..
  18. Shackman55

Soaking up the sound?? New Cables

I have a Marantz 6100 fairly stock, running an Empire 2000e III NOS stylus. I went to move the table the other day and had a huge horrible sound come out of the speakers, I narrowed it down to the OEM IC's had a break near the table itself. Soooo after reading several threads here, I decided to...
  19. Shackman55

AC Motor speed control? Is it doable?

I know this is a dumb question, but I am making a DIY record cleaner and I found an ice cream machine motor that I want to use, it has a built in cooling fan so no over heating. I want to do direct coupling of the platter to the shaft, however it seems to be going too fast, around 60rpm the...
  20. Shackman55

A sad day in my valley..

16 years ago, I moved to this little quiet valley, at that time, most of my records had been lost stolen, water damaged heat damaged etc over 4000, all in the space of about a week. All that survived was one milk-crate of my finest finest including a boot leg Pink Floyd live Wall German import...
  21. Shackman55

Forgive me, but what's the deal with HPM-150's?

Are they really that good? I have never heard much of them before, but recently I have seen 3 pairs listed on CL ranging from a weeks pay to just shy of a used car. (Don't want to mention $$ lest the post get flagged) I have always thought of Pioneer speakers as more of an after thought by them...
  22. Shackman55

Wow Can't take the old records off the shelf with Bob S.

I was having a Bob Seger morning, listened to Live Bullet, Nine Tonight and then Night Moves, but as I was listening I was searching BobSeger.com the official website of his. I searched for Vinyl, LP etc and came up empty. Not sure why, but it strikes me as odd that given his age and music...
  23. Shackman55

Didya ever send off for those free records?

Not the Columbia house or such, but the freebies they advertised.. Let me tell you a story.. Once upon a time many years ago in a land far to the north... A little boy saved up his labels and sent off to a certain Cola company I won't name names but it rhymes with Poke! To get a copy of a...
  24. Shackman55

Pioneer SX1280 for $600 Really?

Saw this on the local CL wasn't sure if this was the right place to post, I just wish I had the dough for it. Sounds like a good price for it.. Hoping an AKer can nab it. Area is Western NC Asheville Area. Oh and No affiliation, I just happened accross the ad...
  25. Shackman55

What's the nitty gritty of the Nitty Gritty???

Ok I hear lots of talk about VPI (the 16.5 in particular) a little about some other really high end RCM and of course Spin Clean but in searching the threads I found little about the Nitty Gritty machines. A brief mention here and there but couldn't find anything in depth. I am working my way up...
Back
Top Bottom