Search results

1. mr_wetland

Pioneer PL-115D return lift issue

Bumping this up because it turns out I am now also having the same issue.
  2. mr_wetland

Re-wiring an SL-23 tonearm

Thanks Nat. To be clear, I didn't actually take the whole tonearm apart, just took it off the base to get at the little screws to take the headshell connection off. So the bearings are still intact. Thanks Jeff, I had no idea that the cap on top of the pivot could come off. I didn't want to...
  3. mr_wetland

Thank you Flavio, I do intend to take the tonearm apart as much as I can. Now in all honesty, I had it apart once before and tried using the wires from an old computer mouse (which seemed like a good substitute) and had trouble bending them around that corner at the bearings. Are these wires...
  4. mr_wetland

Hello AKer's I'm back after a long sabbatical, restoring my old house has given me no time for playing with our hobby, although I still have a main setup and listening to music. Now that the project is coming to an end and I'm moving my collection to my dedicated listening/rotating/repairing...
  5. mr_wetland

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

True Sadness by the Avett Brothers. Great music, terrific songwriting...
  6. mr_wetland

Technics SL-23 - Bad hum after re-wiring tonearm

That's great info guys, thanks. I'll start tearing it apart tonight and let you know how it goes. Unfortunately I lost one of those tiny little screws, maybe I can find it around somewhere. If not I'll make it work somehow.
  7. mr_wetland

Thanks for posting that Tom. Yeah, I figured as much, and I do want to do it right so it's back to the drawing board. I know where the ground wire goes on the underside, but any idea what it connects to inside the arm?
  8. mr_wetland

Bump. No help here? I think I can figure something out, but was hoping maybe someone had been down this road...
  9. mr_wetland

Vandersteen Base/Stand Alternatives?

Thanks so much CJ. I'll put a pair together and see how they work out. The stands for the 2C's can't be that different can they?
  10. mr_wetland

Vandersteen Base/Stand Alternatives?

I also got a pair of Vandersteens recently, Model 2's. For those of us who are handy with wood (and hopefully the OP is) how high should they be and how much of an upward angle back to front? Will they still work if my room is not 230' long? :biggrin:
  11. mr_wetland

My very first turntable was an SL-23, bought it new in 1977. I took it to college, it moved into my first house with me, I loved that deck. Then it disappeared, and it turns out I gave it to my brother who moved it to North Carolina, let his mother in law smoke all over it then stuck it in the...
  12. mr_wetland

MAC-3 as a basic preamp?

Well, I did set it up as described and it works fine. The soundstage opened up nicely and I don't have any complaints about the bass. I will now keep an eye out for a C28 or C29 but in the meantime this will keep me listening. Even without the tone controls this is a nice improvement over the...
  13. mr_wetland

MAC-3 as a basic preamp?

Okay, well I'll set it up tonight and see how it sounds. I don't have a phono pre yet, but I can pick one up to test the concept and see where it leads. Those switches in the back, since I'll only be using the front two, what are considered to be large speakers and what are small? I guess I...
  14. mr_wetland

MAC-3 as a basic preamp?

On closer inspection, it looks like I can connect my cdp to the optical input, and maybe a phono pre into the analog input. Does that make sense? If I can get those two things connected that's about all I need. I don't usually use tone controls anyway, so not having those isn't a big deal, and a...
  15. mr_wetland

MAC-3 as a basic preamp?

Hi folks, it's been a while since I've come to the MAC forum since my MC-2105 continues to work flawlessly. My problem has always been my preamp. I can't seem to find one from my stock that I'm satisfied with. Recently I picked up a bunch of stuff from a friend who is cleaning out his basement...
  16. mr_wetland

Vandersteen 2C's fell in my lap. Now i have a couple of questions...

Nat, I totally get the domestic acceptance factor, which is why they're still in the workshop right now. I will try them out with the Mac, the SAE Two, a Pioneer SA-8100 I have lying around and whatever else I can hook up to it, see what I like best. Can't imagine they wouldn't sound good with...
  17. mr_wetland

Vandersteen 2C's fell in my lap. Now i have a couple of questions...

Hi All, I hope everyone in the AK community is staying safe and healthy. Heading home the other night I saw something I haven't seen in a long while - a pair of speakers and some other things sitting by the side of the road with a "FREE" sign on them. When I saw the name Vandersteen my son and I...
  18. mr_wetland

AKAI 1710W vs. Tandberg Model 64 - Thoughts?

Hello AKer's. Like so many of us working on limited schedules, I'm selling off some of my surplus inventory to help make ends meet. I would like to keep one of the reel to reels that I've collected over the last few years. I have a TEAC 3340, an AKAI 1710w and the Tandberg Model 64. The TEAC is...
  19. mr_wetland

A little help? - Lafayette LA-90 integrated, one channel dead.

Okay, update time. It is definitely working on both channels now! Ran some Brubeck, Traveling Wilburys and Schubert piano pieces through it for a couple of hours, and it's going strong. It still sounds a little flat on one side, and the tone controls aren't doing anything, so that's something...
  20. mr_wetland

UPDATE: As Gadget suggested, I checked pin 7 and got nothing. I swapped in another 12ax7 to be sure it was not the tube, and noticed that the sockets were very dirty. I rubbed some DeOxit in there, turned it back on and checked pin 7, got a big buzz! There is now SOUND out of that side. It's not...
  21. mr_wetland

Yup, voltage at pin 7 (around 340V) at all 4 6bq5's. Switched in a different 12ax7, no change. A definite buzz when I touch pin 2 on V6. Still getting 148V on pin 6 instead of 105. Anything else I can check? I don't know why I'm getting nothing.
  22. mr_wetland

Thanks Cademan, I got the opt's from another AK'er about 10 years ago, and she said they would work for my four 6BQ5's in this setup. The originals were dead dead. Like I said in my original post, one channel is working really nice, but I'll play with the feedback if you think that could be a...
  23. mr_wetland

Thanks for getting back, Wood. Yes, I have 1.1 volts at both pin 8's, and 390 ohms. Next? Like I said earlier, I am getting a faint buzzing from the speaker on the dead side, so can I assume my OPT is okay?
  24. mr_wetland

I have been working on this amp on and off for a few years, and never seem to get it right. Since I now get to spend a lot of time at home, it is once again open on my workbench. And I can not figure out what the problem is. Although I've been playing with vintage stuff for over ten years now...
  25. mr_wetland

Advent 300 No Worky

Just in case anyone ever wonders about what a great resource AK is... I bought a Model 300 about five years ago, intending to get it going and use it in my shop. Life happened, then coronavirus happened. So I finally broke it out and checked things. No audio, distinct hum. -22V where I was...
Back
Top Bottom