Search results

1. A

ESS AMT1B Pyramid Refurb, Help!

Hi, and thanks for all of the info about tube equipment. I'm going to start testing tube preamps and amps. I'm lucky in that I have a couple stores here that will let you take equipment for the weekend to audition. Was amazed by the walnut cabinets and quality of the crossovers in your DEC-AMT28...
  2. A

Thanks , I'll definitely follow-up on the tube preamp advice :yes:
  3. A

I'm really interested in finding out more about the DEC-AMT28 custom Heils and would like to follow your tube amp add-on experience. Is this covered, or going to be covered, in other threads. Anyway I would like to keep abreast of it all as I have looked seriously at tube amplifiers for my ESS...
  4. A

SimAudio 100D DAC Added Wow, I added a SimAudio 100D DAC to my system (as noted in my signature). CD player to DAC, DAC to Preamp. Major, major improvement in sound quality. Well, the CD player is 22 years old and DAC's have come a long way. This one uses a BurrBrown PCM1793 DAC. Amazing! The...
  5. A

Moon DAC 100 D vs Music Hall 25.3 DAC

Has anyone had direct listening experience with both of these DACs? I would really appreciate hearing about your listening experience (Comments from users who have tried either would be appreciated too). I have narrowed my choice down to these two DACs in my price range. I can buy the Music...
  6. A

I'm impressed. The AVR 4311 looks like an excellent piece of equipment from the reviews I have read. My Denon DCD-2560 is from the early 90's and I'm thinking about pairing it with either a Music Hall 25.3 or Cambridge DacMagic DAC for, hopefully, a big improvement. A little worried about the...
  7. A

Pulled the trigger on a Music Hall 25.3 DAC

I'm thinking of getting a 25.3 for my "old" 20 bit Denon DCD-2560 CD Player which apparently has a very good transport. Should I go for the DAC or buy a new CD Player. I'll be pairing it with ESS AMT1b speakers which require a warmer sounding source. Thanks for your input!
  8. A

Would be interested in knowing what you are using for front end components and how the amt1b's sound with them. My front end components are a bit over the hill...
  9. A

Hi Jim, I agree with almost everything you've said in your checklist except your recommendation for capacitors. Although some recommend the Daytons, I recommend doing your own research and buying the best capacitors you can afford and wait a few hundred hours before judging the sound quality. I...
  10. A

I assume that the 8 ohm lpads provide a variable resistance to the current running to the Heil of 0 to 8 ohms - to increase or decrease volume of mid frequency and high frequency sound.
  11. A

Curious, what speakers did you buy and how do they compare with the AMT1b's?
  12. A

I'm really enjoying listening to mine although I'm coming to the conclusion that, as other people have suggested, what these speakers may need is a third purely midrange driver to perfect the AMT1b's sound. There are certain midrange frequencies that my 1b's do not appear to reproduce well...
  13. A

Wow, interesting! If the one with the bad inductor sounds much better, it will be exciting to find out how the other speaker with the good inductor sounds when recapped.
  14. A

Hi MRAPPE, Are your speakers up and running and if so how do they sound? Regards!
  15. A

After speaking with the best audio technician in Victoria (Aaron at Sound Hounds), I feel I should retract the above statement. Aaron, who has successfully rebuilt dozens of speakers, suggested that my volume issue (if it exists) is probably more to do with the added dynamics and clarity of the...
  16. A

I think you were wise to be cautious concerning the wiring. The 16 gauge wire I used is really too big for these speakers/crossovers. As noted in one of my previous posts my rewire with 16 gauge has resulted in a substantial increase in volume: I am now playing most of my CD's at the first...
  17. A

Thanks for the info on your amplification and source equipment. I read some reviews for your HK amps and the Teac CD player. They all get great reviews and must sound incredible with your AMT3's. Although I used to own a Teac tape deck I haven't seen any Teac equipment in Victoria for a number...
  18. A

Source Equipment? I am curious as to what the rest of you ESS fans, freaks, et al, are using as source equipment, brand and model number and your opinion of them, since this is pretty crucial to the sound of the Heils in particular. Although I have a Rega Planar 3 I regret that I gave up most...
  19. A

I still have the old PR's. Maybe next year I'll spring for the new basket-style PR's - spent too much money already. I checked out your woofer pics, definitely not bextrene. I doubt that ESS reconed them - maybe Orange County Speakers or a local hifi shop with a good technician. Are you on the...
  20. A

Just a few more comments on my AMT1b rebuild after2 weeks of listening. System Volume Increase Since rebuilding my 1b pyramids I have experienced a major increase in sound volume. Whereas in the past I played most CD's at about 9:30 on the volume dial I am now playing them at about 8:00 on...
  21. A

Maybe send Ron-c a private message and ask how he glued/installed his as I think it was Ron who recommended the hurricane nuts. Cheers!
  22. A

I've noticed that the sound of the Mundorf Caps has changed over the first couple of days - I listened to some Vanessa Paradis and Diana Krall early on. After listening again today I found their voices more rounded and warm - in a very good way. Also, after blathering on about how great my...
  23. A

You asked me earlier in this thread to comment on the new ESS 12" coated paper woofer once I had it installed. I have done about 6 hours of listening so far. I tested for acoustic bass on several jazz records including Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard (Scott Lafaro on Bass) and for Rock Music...
  24. A

Ever worked on something audio for a couple of months and finally hooked it up with fear and trepidation that the right channel will be nothing but crackle or it will just sound like s__t but find that it is a revelation, a contracted ball of musical mush that has expanded into a new universe...
  25. A

Well heck, I emailed them on November 18th. I think part of the problem is that they are understaffed. The ESS CEO handles almost all telephone calls and receives all email from their website contact page.
Back
Top Bottom