Search results

1. stingray_65

Pioneer PL-30L tonearm help

I had stumbled on this while trying to find GEM 1058, the Pioneer damping oil recommended for this TT. http://turntablebasics.com/silicone.html
  2. stingray_65

Pioneer PL-30L tonearm help

So I've just got done disassembling, cleaning, reassembling and testing the tonearm on my PL-30L. I've read more than once about a paddle the dips on to an oil trough. Am I missing parts or am I just not understanding how this operates. There is so little information about these Pioneers. Any...
  3. stingray_65

What things should I consider when picking out a new cartridge

I have only weighed the S pipe and it is 17grams. I haven't been able to weigh the head shell and the cart weight is to be determined. I am also looking at the At-7V, it's specs say "Tracking force: 1.75 - 2.25 g (2.0 g standard) " What force would be considered high or low compliance? Ray
  4. stingray_65

This is the sort of thing I want to avoid. I am sure that if a $1k cart does not sound good it is because it is poorly matched to the system. I am sure the person designing and bringing a cart like that to market probably has a clue as to what they are doing. Me on the other hand has no clue. I...
  5. stingray_65

I've printed off a Baerwald (sp?) Protractor for a 250mm tone arm. I'm looking at printing an azimuth scale on my laser and I have a tiny digital scale force gage. I was looking in to the ortofon super om10. Then i read it was high compliance. Then read the 2M Red was same works in a low...
  6. stingray_65

One step at a time. Ill look i. To the step up transformer THEN an MC cart. I guess when I started this thread, i was looking to be educated on how to pair a cart to my table what i need to take in to acount. So far I'm delighted with the knowledge given to me! I need to wait till next...
  7. stingray_65

Ok, So I'm looking for a low compliance, MM cartridge. Anything else I should be considering? In my budget I see the Ortofon Red.
  8. stingray_65

So I looked at the spec on my MAC1900 It doesn't say outright if the phono input is MC compliant. It says : 55w/ch into 4 or 8 ohms. Response 20-20kHz (+0.5 -0.5dB). Distortion .2%. Noise and hum pwr amp -95dB, aux -90dB, phono -76dB. Damping factor 50. Input impedance: pwr amp 100k, aux 250k...
  9. stingray_65

I understand (I think):D The mass math is great to know too! Thanks Sql!
  10. stingray_65

The Dennon 103 is in my price range! Using a MC cart do I need transformers for the preamp?
  11. stingray_65

Thanks for that insight Mark. I will be sure to check those carts out! But what is compliance and why low compliance with heavy arm? Ray
  12. stingray_65

As a proud new owner of a Pioneer PL-30L I am looking at cartridges to get the most (I can afford) from my beautiful TT. While I had the tonearm apart for cleaning and maintenance I took the opportunity to weigh the s-pipe (17.0014g) is this the effective mass I read about? I see stuff about...
  13. stingray_65

Help identifying this cartridge!

Hey, thank you guys! I really apreciate the advice and insight I get here Ray
  14. stingray_65

Help identifying this cartridge!

My Pioneer PL-30L arrived from Osaka Japan yesteday. Unfortunately the was shipping damage. Amongst the other carnage was a dangling cartridge. The seller could not identify it . Please help. Ray
  15. stingray_65

PL-30L ii Dump Oil source?

I now own a PL-30L ii. The oil damp on The tone arm is empty. The manual (in Japanese) says it is Gem 1058 Silicone oil. I've found a source in Japan that sells it for $40 for a tiny bottle plus shipping and waiting. Is there somewhere state side that I can purchase it? Is there an...
  16. stingray_65

Record weight for my PL-S70 TT

Whoa! I never knew that existed. I would have patterned it and made me a copy . I still might. Thank you for the info, I feel more secure knowing the weights and that Pioneer designed it. I may lighten this one by 90g to bring it in line Thanks again, Ray
  17. stingray_65

Record weight for my PL-S70 TT

Hi all, A few months ago I made a brass record weight for my PL-S70. I noticed an immediate improvement in bass response. It's even more noticeable now that I switched speakers to a pair of Paradigm Eclipse BP's. Any how, my buddy wants me to make him one too, so I started actually looking at...
  18. stingray_65

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suites performed by the National Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Richard Bonynge, 1974
  19. stingray_65

Mac 1900 crazy AM buzz

I will check there first. Thanks for direction. Ray
  20. stingray_65

Mac 1900 crazy AM buzz

21. stingray_65

Mac 1900 crazy AM buzz

Hi all, I hope I'm in the right place. I never gave it much thought as I seldom go past the AM selector on my Mac 1900. But today I noticed a humm while playing an LP at a fairly high volume ( the TV was the culprit) and as I switched across the AM selection I got a horrible buzz. Really...
  22. stingray_65

Paradigm Eclipse BP to Mac1900

Thanks for the input. I'll keep things simple for now and wire them normally. Boy oh boy are these speakers efficient! And the bass response is amazing! My neighbors are now enjoying great music every time I do! Thanks again Ray
  23. stingray_65

Here's the back of the 1900
  24. stingray_65

I've just purchased a pair of Paradigm Eclipse BP speakers for a price I couldn't turn down. I was to by the previous owner to bi-wire them. I have a Mac1900 integrated amp with mains and 2 remote speakers out. Would I wire the top terminals to the mains and the bottom terminals to the remote...
  25. stingray_65

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet.
Back
Top Bottom