Search results

1. frahengeo

Vintage gear pricing - little love for integrateds?

My observations are just the opposite of the OP's. Vintage gear seems to hang around much longer in our local listings (CL, FB marketplace) than before. My simple mind concludes that either the demand has declined and/or the prices have already reached its peak. This is based on some of the...
  2. frahengeo

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

True, and woodworking is my hobby. However, it wouldn't match the rest of the set.
  3. frahengeo

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

No. TVK is not wrong, I'm wrong and you are correct. The TVK page makes no distinction between "G", "L", "A", and "J", but it also makes no mention that all those iterations are the same. The only thing it explicitly mentions is that the TA-F555ESJ and F808ES are the same. I made the jump...
  4. frahengeo

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

According to TVK, TA-F555ESL is an update to TA-F870ES. I have the TA-F808ES, which is the same as TA-F555ESL. Per TVK, "The update consists of the addition of Mos-Fet transistors in the driver stages which the previous F870ES only had in the power stages."
  5. frahengeo

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

I know this is a "Sony" thread, but I'm curious about the Technics. Any chance seeing a photo? Maybe if the photo included both the Sonys and the Technics, then no one will be offended :) .
  6. frahengeo

Opinions on buying a used Oppo

I think Oppo players were not well known outside of AV enthusiasts. Theater-In-A-Box was prevalent among folks I knew. This combined with the ever declining physical media sales led Oppo to pull the plug. Just guessing though. Currently, I own the BDP-83, 93, 105D, and UDP-205. The BDP-83...
  7. frahengeo

The smell of vintage audio

You mean it's not the smell of cigarettes?
  8. frahengeo

SONY TA-N77ES THAT GOOD???

Nice!!
  9. frahengeo

Older high end prepro vs a newer avr

Much harder to hear the difference in HT, I think. Are you buying additional amplifier(s) with the pre-pro or using the amps in the mid range Yamaha for multi-channel purposes?
  10. frahengeo

SONY TA-N77ES THAT GOOD???

I have had the TA-N80ES, and N90ES, and they're good, but 2k seems way overpriced for what can be had for that kind of money. With that said, if it was something you craved in your youth, you may be willing to fork over the cash to settle that obsession. I would consider one, if it were local...
  11. frahengeo

Sure. Like I said, my pre-pro sounds pretty good in 2-channel mode. The OP said that he/she was contemplating the purchase of an older pre-pro for both stereo and HT duty, and asked if that would improve SQ. I think it would improve SQ for 2-channel, but for HT I don't think it would make a...
  12. frahengeo

Grills on or off while listening?

But your ears can be deceived by your eyes!!
  13. frahengeo

So you would use the pre-pro strictly for 2-channel then? If so, then why not get a 2-channel pre-amp instead? Sounds like you would still need the Yamaha AVR its multi-channel amps. Would the pre-pro sound better than the AVR for 2-channel? Probably. I say this because although my Denon...
  14. frahengeo

No surprise here, of course my Japanese knives are made in China.

What brand is it? I'm asking because Japanese characters (Kanji), as in their writings, was derived from Chinese characters. Many Sushi restaurants are run by Chinese folks. The "P.F." in P.F. Chang stands for Paul Fleming. Yes. There are many posers out there.
  15. frahengeo

Dogs Rock, Post Yer Pooch!

From the picture above, Topper (left) was a rescue pup from Tennessee, and Maggie we've had since a puppy too. Maggie is 14 1/2 years old, which is very very old for a GSD. We are in the process of rescuing another dog, this time from Arkansas. Pretty excited about meeting him:
  16. frahengeo

Any OPPO 83 owners here?

I am an owner and will check out the features with respect to the remote over the weekend. I’m assuming that because it was a NOS unit, you have an OEM remote? A word of caution about the 83. At some point it may develop an issue where the tray will not open. The work around for this was to...
  17. frahengeo

Sony DVP-S7700 remote

I have the S7700 as well. The one feature on the original remote that may not be available on other remotes would be the shuttle dial. Although I never used it, it was supposedly useful for examining frame-by-frame video on DVDs. Not very useful for audio transport purposes.
  18. frahengeo

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Oh baby! My ES Amp/Pre-Amp are gone, but I have the same CD player, and it's still going. You may want to give that Amp some room to breathe.
  19. frahengeo

Why buy a Toyota?

Had a 2000 4Runner that I enjoyed for 13 years before the rusty frame issue forced me to get rid of it. Despite all the recalls/warranties offered on the Tacoma for the same issue, Toyota NA would not do anything for my 4Runner. I've stayed away from Toyota ever since.
  20. frahengeo

What CD Player Do You Use?

Some good looking disc spinners there. Victor = JVC, I believe.
  21. frahengeo

What CD Player Do You Use?

Nice amplification. Double Krell.
  22. frahengeo

Your Last Concert (or two)

Lily Meola Ray LaMontagne October 27 @ MGM Music Hall, Boston
  23. frahengeo

Is the supply of vintage Sansui drying up?

As a previous post stated, manufacturers aren't producing these models anymore. Best case scenario is that the number of units in the world remain the same year after year. Again, that's the best case scenario. It is more likely that each year some number units are destroyed beyond repair or...
Back
Top Bottom